F40 6 Speed Transmission Exchange Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F40 6 Speed Transmission Exchange Program

Opel F40 6-Speed Manual Transaxle/Transmission Exchange Program (RPO MT2) #06-07-29-002 - (Feb 3, 2006)
    Opel F40 6-Speed Manual Transaxle/Transmission Exchange Program (RPO MT2)
    2006 Pontiac G6

with Transmission - Man 6 Spd, Opel, 83 mm, 3.77 1st, 0.62 6th (F40 WR) (RPO MT2)

This bulletin will cover the F40 6-Speed Manual Transaxle exchange program for the 2006 Pontiac G6. This exchange program will be in effect for approximately the first 12 months of vehicle production.

This exchange program will be administered by the GM Product Quality Center (PQC). To request an exchange, dealerships are required to call the PQC - not the Technical Assistance Center (TAC). The PQC may refer the dealer technician to TAC if additional diagnosis is required. Prior to calling the PQC, please make sure to complete the "OEM Manual Transmission Exchange Worksheet" referenced at the end of this bulletin. Use of this worksheet will minimize the time spent on the telephone and avoid the need of a second call to the PQC. Guidelines for honoring exchange requests under this program are being strictly enforced.

Components that may be removed and serviced without exchange of the transaxle are identified in the list below. Any repairs involving transmission components not identified in the table below may require a transmission exchange.

Please note that this list is subject to change as the program progresses. You will be notified by the PQC consultant if additional transaxle items are considered serviceable.

Current Serviceable Transaxle Related Components:

• Seal, Drive Axle
    • Sensor, Vehicle Speed
    • Switch, Back Up Lamp
    • Pin, Clutch Housing Lock
    • Plug, Trans Oil Drain
    • Bolt, Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)
    • Actuator, Clutch Asm
    • Plug, Trans Fluid Fill
    • Control, Shifter Assembly

All other components of the transmission require assembly replacement at this time.

Important: Transmission repairs or failures that are caused by components external to the transmission DO NOT fall under the exchange program. For example, transmission oil cooler lines incorrectly installed causing a transmission failure will have to go through GMSPO to obtain a transmission assembly. Also, transmissions needed for insurance repairs have to be obtained from GMSPO. The exchange program is created as a way to identify and correct internal concerns. External components causing a failure do not provide any useful information in improving a transmission. The transmission received from GMSPO will be a new transmission. As normal process, all warranty claims for transmission replacement must be approved through the PQC.

Exchange Procedure

A thorough diagnosis must be performed in order to prevent unnecessary component replacements. Refer to "Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle" in SI to identify the correct procedure for diagnosing the system.
    Prior to calling the PQC, complete the "OEM Transmission Exchange" worksheet referenced at the end of this bulletin
    Contact the PQC to verify that proper diagnosis has been performed. Upon review of the diagnosis, the PQC will establish a case reference number and make arrangements for shipping an exchange unit to your dealership if necessary. DO NOT SHIP A TRANSMISSION TO THE WARRANTY PARTS CENTER (WPC) WITHOUT AN OFFICIAL WPC REQUEST.
    Important: Failure to return the replaced transmission by the due date will result in the dealership being debited the entire warranty claim (parts and labor). The removed unit must be returned complete in the shipping container. For effective engineering analysis, please do not remove or disassemble any components. The only exception to this is the fluid pan, which should be removed to drain the fluid prior to shipping. The pan must be reinstalled after fluid has drained. Dealerships returning transmissions that have been even partially disassembled will be judged as violating this procedure and, as such, will be billed for all materials furnished.

Warranty Information
    For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation K2720
    Description Transmission/Transaxle Assembly - Replace
    Labor Time Use Published Labor Operation time
    Parts Allowance $337.50

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
    WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
    Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

All new Transmissions/Transfercases and Engines that are in their 1st year of production are always an exchange only situation due to GM wanting to view failures and the lack of available replacement parts available at that point in time.
    Colin.
    06 G6 GTP. 6spd.
    92 Sunbird GT, 3200 Hybrid N/A 13.99 @ 95.22mph
    90 Talon TSi -13.76 @ 99.41

Comment

How many people have actually done this?

Comment

I absolutly hate to bump a thread almost a month old... but is there anywhere on the car I can find the build date?
        2007 GMC Sierra ECSB Z71 4x4

Comment

There should be a sticker on the driver's door.

sigpic
          Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

well it says 10/05, which I find odd because I got the car a week ago. Its weird how long it sat unsold. Now if I remember reading correctly all the cars built during and after january 06 are fine correct? In which case my car is eligable for this fix?

Comment

It is supposed to be eligible, but I haven't yet heard of a single person that has managed to get GM to do it. They're going to give you the common line of it being "normal", sadly. My transmission is horrible too, but I haven't even tried to get this done because I haven't heard any positive news yet.

Let us know if you manage to get it replaced though. It would be awesome to hear some good news.

sigpic
              Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

well it doesnt shift smooth thats for sure. Does anyone know for sure if the replacement tranny would shift any better? Is it the exact same one or did they try and fix it?

Comment

So I'm not the only one to notice this? Does it also sometimes clunk when coming out of a gear? I thought this transmission wasnt so smooth especially when trying to shift going fast it just isnt smooth at all.
                  Official Lawbreaker of the SWO

06 G6 Coupe.
                  MODS: Custom Flowmaster 80 exhaust, De-badged, MP racing intake, GM strut bar. 40% tint all around. Painted dart and battery cover. R1 premium drilled-slotted brakes front and rear. I think that is it but who knows what I will find and want to add to the car.

Comment

I don't generally go fast in my car to try to save on gas, and even then it likes to shift like crap. When I go between gears, it jerks the motor pretty bad, and I do hear that clunk sometimes when I shift out of gear. I may look into this as mine is an 07, and this problem should have already been fixed...

Comment

Originally posted by Sphinx
                      I don't generally go fast in my car to try to save on gas, and even then it likes to shift like crap. When I go between gears, it jerks the motor pretty bad, and I do hear that clunk sometimes when I shift out of gear. I may look into this as mine is an 07, and this problem should have already been fixed...
                      Do you have a 6 speed manual tranny?
                      2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT
                      Forge Motorsports BPV
                      CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
                      HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE
                      HyperTech Max Energy Tune

Comment

just so you all know the exhange is now over

This bulletin is being revised to add a list of serviceable components. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-07-29-002A (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please be advised that the exchange program for the Opel F40 6-Speed Manual transaxle on 2006 G6 vehicles has ended. Serviceable components may now be ordered through the normal process.

Current Serviceable Transaxle Related Components
                        • Seal, Drive Axle

• Sensor, Vehicle Speed

• Switch, Back Up Lamp

• Pin, Clutch Housing Lock

• Plug, Trans Oil Drain

• Actuator, Clutch Asm

• Plug, Trans Fluid Fill

• Control, Shifter Assembly

All other components of the transmission require assembly replacement at this time.

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                        Originally posted by snowmanG6
                        you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Originally posted by Kman
                          Originally posted by Sphinx
                          Do you have a 6 speed manual tranny?
                          Yes I have the 6-Speed manual.

Comment

As you have read, the transmission exchange program is over. If you have a problem with your 6 speed manual transmission, take it to your dealer before your warranty expires.

This topic will be closed shortly. If you have any reason to leave it open, let me know.
                            G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                            Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                            Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                            20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Re: F40 6 Speed Transmission Exchange Program

Ultimate thread resurrection... I just started gushing fluid from my transmission and wonder if this could be related. I plan to take the transmission out and replace the seal, as soon as I can find the correct part number for it, and am considering a full rebuild with possible upgrade to internals. Thoughts, opinions, and concerns are welcome but please be polite.
                              1993 Eagle Talon (RIP)
                              2007 Toyota Matrix XR (GONE!!!)
                              2006 Pontiac G6 GTP (Let the fun begin)
                              2012 Chevrolet Malibu 2LTZ (New family car)

Definition of a Ricer.
                              (Ricer: from the latin word Ricarius meaning to suck at everything you attempt)

A person who makes unecessary modifications to their most often import car (hence the term "rice") to make it (mostly make it look) faster.

Comment

Working...
                              X