Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HIDs! (Any Info or questions post here)

Figured with summer comming and more people getting ready to modify their cars, this was a suitable thread to start....

If you have any questions, comments, suggestions that relate to HIDs please post them here!!! This way we can keep all information together and easier to find...

P.S.- Please try to stay on topic inorder to keep clutter down.. if a question has been answered don't reply unless you have more useful information to add to the persons question!!

Thanks!
    Originally posted by Toyz
    Originally posted by simplyred
    what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
    As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Ok, I could order a kit from vision for $200 or I could get a kit of ebay for $100. Is there a real difference between the two if they have all of the same parts included?
    VA All Day!! PWC

Comment

Originally posted by krifor03
      Ok, I could order a kit from vision for $200 or I could get a kit of ebay for $100. Is there a real difference between the two if they have all of the same parts included?
      the quality of the kit is probably going to differ. i know people who have not had problems with $100 kits but you get what you pay for. i paid closer to $500 for the equipment i had in my truck, but that was all OEM european parts, not generic aisian...the difference is worth every penny in my opinion.

Comment

INFO:

Low beams and Fog lights are H11
        High beams are H9

More info here: http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...RG-Results.htm

Most user pictures you see will not be 100% accurate as most people don't take into account that their camera, set on auto mode, will adjust the white balance how it likes, which usually means the wrong color is going to be coming off the lights.

http://visionbulbs.com/vb_product.php?id=8 has a little thingy to show the various color temperatures and what they are.

Also, your OWN eyes will have an impact on whether or not 6000k is white or blue/white, etc. when you actually see them.
        The Present: 2010 Mazdaspeed3... Zoom Zoom

The Past: 06 G6 GTP Vert: Westers Tune - GT-R Exhaust - Doc's Stage3 CAI+ CRAB O4+K&N - GMPD Strut - RL Street Inserts - CMS Bespoke Vert Lowering Springs - Quicklifts - Enkei FN18's, N3000's 245/45y18 - 35% Tint Around - 4300k HIDs His & Los - Black Headlight bezels - Black Recessed Grills - Pooners Chrome Trim Blackout - Black Overlays on Darts - Avic f700bt

Comment

One thing to consider, for people thinking about HIDs in their high beams, is that the bulbs take about 10 seconds to fully warm up. Until then, they are quite dim. What this means is that when you are driving and turn your highs on, it can take up to 10 seconds for the high beam output to reach their full capacity. You won't get the "instant on" feeling you get with halogen bulbs. Sometimes it's deceptive because the lighting builds up gradually so it feels like there is no difference, even though there is.

The first time I fired my high beam HIDs on the road, I didn't think they turned on. But when you turn them off you can definitely see the difference.

Comment

I'm about to pull the trigger on some HID's..... so this thread is good...

Do we need to disable DRL's once we install HIDs?

The Past: 06 G6 GTP Vert: Westers Tune - GT-R Exhaust - Doc's Stage3 CAI+ CRAB O4+K&N - GMPD Strut - RL Street Inserts - CMS Bespoke Vert Lowering Springs - Quicklifts - Enkei FN18's, N3000's 245/45y18 - 35% Tint Around - 4300k HIDs His & Los - Black Headlight bezels - Black Recessed Grills - Pooners Chrome Trim Blackout - Black Overlays on Darts - Avic f700bt

Comment

From what I've heard, the HIDs will disable the DRLs for you by blowing the DRL fuse.

So yes, you should just pull the DRL fuse.

Comment

Originally posted by jnak
                From what I've heard, the HIDs will disable the DRLs for you by blowing the DRL fuse.

So yes, you should just pull the DRL fuse.
                Depends on your particular HID setup.

My HIDs were powered by the battery, but had relays that were triggered by the presence of voltage in the stock wiring. So essentially, DRL and headlights were the same. My HIDs were always on unless i turned off auto lights.
                2009 PONTIAC G8
                MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Good point.

Comment

I just used the factory wires and harnesses, so no connections to the battery for me. And the DRL fuse blew, so I just pulled it.
                    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Can someone tell me if the visionbulbs hid kit will blow the fuse or not?

Comment

Any kit will blow the fuse, unless you do like RagingFish and use the relay set up.

Comment

I'm assuming the relay that comes with the vision kit will accomplish that:

Originally posted by Vision Bulbs
                          Package Contents:
                          • 2 bulbs
                          • 2 ballasts
                          • Relay harness/connection wires
                          • Mounting brackets and bolts
                          • Zip ties
                          • Install manual
                          Keeping your DRLs are as simple as wiring that module into the battery and the stock line then, I presume?

Mods: Vector 93 ECM/TCM, Addco prototype 7/8" rear sway bar, Powerslot Cryo rotors, Hawk ceramic pads, Yokohama AVID W4S 245/45/18 on Cobalt SS/TC wheels, Pioneer DEH-P6900UB, Alpine PDX-1.600 pushing a 12" Kicker L7, Scosche DIC, Peripheral steering wheel control kit

Comment

i would not personally power HIDs off the stock harness although it is a popular choice.

Comment

Well it also depends on what kind you buy. Some make really good kits, and others need modification. Mine have been working perfectly for over a year on the stock harness. My friend recently bought a kit for his honda that was supposedly a direct connection to the factory wires, but he had to do some splicing here and there, change the fuse to a different amp rating, etc.
                              -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Working...
                              X