Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

changing to double din radio but retaining xm on 2007 convert?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing to double din radio but retaining xm on 2007 convert?

id like to install an aftermarket radio but i want to keep my xm.id also like to be able to use the cars xm antenna.does anyone know if the g6 xm antenna will plug into an aftermarket xm module?

Re: changing to double din radio but retaining xm on 2007 convert?

AFAIK with an aftermarket radio you will need an aftermarket XM/Sirius tuner to get it working, which means a new XM ID.
    As for the antenna I found this video where they show they are able to use the factory antenna with an aftermarket XM tuner:
    This is a quick video showing how to easily convert the factory XM radio tuner antenna in 2003-2006 (and 2007 Classic) GM trucks to work with almost any afte...

He specifies certain models and years so I can't be sure if this will work for the G6.

The factory XM module is located communicated via CanBus to the factory radio making it unsuitable for aftermarket radio use. The connections simply aren't there.
    In the Sedan and Coupe the module is on the rear deck shelf in front of the speakers under the deck cover. In the convertible it's just in front of the spare tire. So you'll need to stick your new module back there and run some wires or find a way to re-route that antenna wire to where your module will be.
    Last edited by CruisinG6; 03-03-2018, 11:57 PM.

Comment

thanks for the location of the module.i assumed it was behind the radio.i'll take a look and see if the plug is the same.im going with a pioneer or sony radio and xm or sirius module.the radios im looking at at crutchfield say they will work with the factory amp.

Comment

Sounds like it should all work out. Hopefully the connector works out.

Comment

i can confirm that the xm antenna on my 2007 convert will work with aftermarket xm radios.i unplugged the factory pontiac xm antenna and plugged in an antenna that came with a commander touch aftermarket radio and the factory radio still works.seems the same size.the factory plug looks sorta like the plug in the you tube video but different enough that a can't see how to remore the plastic outside without destroying the plastic.

Comment

Good to know! Maybe I'll consider replacing XM in my G6 knowing I won't need to add another antenna to the roof.

Comment

Working...
            X