Alternator power wire burning. Please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator power wire burning. Please help

Ok I was in the process of changing my sisters alternator on her 08 g6 2.4 and after I got old one off I noticed the power wire was burnt so bad it was not even connected anymore. The wire from alt went to the starter solonoid so I used some 10 gauge wire and rewired it,put old starter back on since I noticed it was wire. put everything back toghter started it up and the new wire melted so now I’m confused on where to go from here. Do I need to buy different wiring? Fusable link ?

Re: Alternator power wire burning. Please help

Doesn't look like there's a fusible link between the starter and alternator on the 2.4 models. But 10 gauge seems too small for the application. The alternator can crank out over 100 amps to charge that battery and power accessories, and 10 gauge will not handle that.

The wire likely touched ground the first time which is what melted it, unless it was melted before you even got to it. In which case some diagnostic work is in order.

If you'd like a wiring diagram I can post one.

Comment

Yes please. Thanks

Comment

What gauge wire should I use.

Comment

At least 6 gauge. I believe that's the OEM size.

The image is attached below.

Looks like power goes straight from the battery, to the starter (for starting) then from there to the alternator (for charging). It even shows that there is no fuse protection on the 2.4 models, how nice....
          If the wire from the battery to the starter looks okay then I'd be suspect about the wire from the alternator to the starter burning up.
          It is possible there's an internal short in the alternator burning up that wire.
          While you have the alternator out, take it to a parts store near you to have it tested. Most of them should test it for free.
          I believe they'll also test the starter and battery if you feel like getting those checked.

Comment

Thanks for your help I had alt tested and it tested good. Replaced wire with 4 gauge wire and let run for 15 min and did not get hot.

Comment

Good news, glad to hear

Comment

Good to hear that you got this solved. I'm considering upgrading the power/ground wires in my car this spring, so this is helpful.
                2007 Pontiac G6 3.5L V6 | 1998 BMW Z3 Dinan

Comment

I would like a wiring diagram please

Comment

I have 06 gtp coupe all black and it has 108k on it . I knew nothing about cars until bought this car for a steal . It does have a few issues a wheel bearing n hub on pass side . I have a leaky radiator or hose comin from pass side i can see its wet by the hose . I have read a alot about this car and i hope my car lasts because i love my favorite car i ever had . It has a k n typhoon cai it has a borla cat back exhaust. I want to make sure its not leaking from sunroof and fix everything i can on it . please anything or any info please help ????

Comment

cruising g6 no longer posts.

Comment

Working...
                      X