Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spyder Halo Projector LED Headlights

Hi,

I have been looking at getting some new after market headlights Spyder Halo Projector LED Headlights and the website says they are a direct replacement. I always understood that projectors needed to be backed by some sort of HID kit with ballasts. Am I missing something? Or Do I need to install an HID conversion kit?

Re: Spyder Halo Projector LED Headlights

Do not buy Spyder headlights, they are terrible. I had these headlights for my Grand Prix and they are still sitting in my basement. Had my bank refund my money because they wouldn't return them, they were that bad.

Comment

Hi Jake,

I appreciate the input; but you don't provide any actual reason why they are terrible? I can't simply take your opinion as gospel without any supporting arguments. Are they of poor quality materials and break/crack easily? Is the fitment an issue? Maybe it is the light output? Maybe the light output was dim because you didn't use an HID kit? Please elaborate. Either way my original question still stands - whether it is a Spyder brand or otherwise.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by y2j514 View Post
        Hi Jake,

I appreciate the input; but you don't provide any actual reason why they are terrible? I can't simply take your opinion as gospel without any supporting arguments. Are they of poor quality materials and break/crack easily? Is the fitment an issue? Maybe it is the light output? Maybe the light output was dim because you didn't use an HID kit? Please elaborate. Either way my original question still stands - whether it is a Spyder brand or otherwise.

Thanks!
        All of that, yes.

Poor output. Poor quality.

As far as projectors and HID go, they aren't tied to the hip. Projector is just the style of the housing. There are projectors made for halogen bulbs (like the Spyders) and projectors made for HID bulbs. You can always install an HID system into a halogen projector and it works much better than HIDs in a reflector housing made for halogen, but it's still designed for halogen.
        The only reason to get the Spyders is if you're in love with the look. With an HID kit they won't be much all brighter than stock with some silverstars. The bowl on them isn't very reflective and so the output is pretty crappy. You'll get the beam pattern you're looking for with the cutoff, but you won't get a ton of light under it.
        Spyders are also known to get hairline cracks in the lenses, fog up pretty frequently, and the "brow" up top is basically guaranteed to stop working after a few months.

If you want ready made projectors to pair with an aftermarket HID kit, angel eyes are a much better option for only a little more money. That said, still not great quality. Simply acceptable. Like the spyders, they're technically made for halogen bulbs. Unlike the spyders, you don't see as many quality issues with them and it's usually resolved painlessly when you do.

The best option is to retrofit a quality projector into your stock housings or some angel eyes and go from there. DOMINIX (sp?) is a user on here and has made multiple threads on this and even offered a retrofit service for others at one time (still might, idk).
        IIRC it was about $500-600 for a low beam retrofit with a high quality HID kit. Compared to $200 for Spyders (not worth $1) and $300 for angel eyes, it was a great deal if you could stomach that much money into a "boring" mod like lighting.
        Last edited by slowsedan; 05-14-2017, 02:02 AM.

Comment

What's up? 😁
          Eagle Eyes Projector Headlight Retrofit: http://bit.ly/QKH9rY

Spyder Auto Projector Headlight Retrofit: http://bit.ly/1iNrmzr

Like-OEM Reflector Headlight Retrofit: http://bit.ly/1sPAjQi

Comment

Yes they have extremely poor lighting, a lot of dark spots. The HIDs sucked, I can't imagine halogens would be much better. I didn't like the halos much either.

I would also suggest a retrofit, I got mykit on sale and found a local retrofitter from theretrofitsource.com. They came out very nice, too bad I no longer have my Grand Prix.

Comment

Did youn end up buying Spyder Halo Projector lights?

Comment

do yourself a favor and skip the Spyders.
                2007 G6 GT

Debadged, CF Overlays, 5% Tint, Tinted Tails, Upper And Lower Recessed Grilles, Eibach Lowering Springs, Painted Calipers, Cross Drilled And Slotted Rotors, K&N CAI W/ CRABS, Tiger Crab, GTR Exhaust, WAMS Tune, Racingline STB, Grounding Kit, and Street MMI's, Redline Quicklifts, Eagle Eye Halo Headlights, Interior LED's, 5K HID'S Lows / Fogs

Comment

Originally posted by waterfowler76 View Post
                  do yourself a favor and skip the Spyders.
                  ^This

Comment

Originally posted by JakeHorgrove View Post
                    Do not buy Spyder headlights, they are terrible. I had these headlights for my Grand Prix and they are still sitting in my basement. Had my bank refund my money because they wouldn't return them, they were that bad.
                    Thank you for the warning. I was about to place an order for it.

Comment

Working...
                    X