Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking off the Hammerhead Spoiler(and possibly putting another on)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking off the Hammerhead Spoiler(and possibly putting another on)

I love my 08 G6 GXP I purchased last year, but i don't like the huge hammerhead spoiler with the third brakelight. I'm looking for any tips, tricks or overall knowledge about removing the spoiler.

I've done a search of the forums but I haven't come up with anything really of a "how to" to do this. Here's a pic of the inside of the trunk:

Five bolts to remove it, but I'm sure that's not it. Is there double sided tape or clips that hold the rest of the spoiler in place? How would you go about removing them? Where are the wires to the brake light in the spoiler accessed?

Another option would be to search junk yards for a plain G6 coupe trunk lid, though I'm not sure how much that would cost or how successful that search would be, as well as repainting the lid.

I think I'm going to add a smaller spoiler, but I'm not totally opposed to leaving the trunk lid naked and just filling the holes. Here are a couple spoilers I've come across that I'm interested in:

Pace Performance offers the best pricing on products offered by GM (General Motors). Including 12499800 - 06-08 Pontiac G6 Coupe Flushmount Spoiler Kit, Silver (67U).

Very nice looking, but I'm not sure about drilling the holes in the deck to install it. How do I access these bolts from in the trunk if it doesn't line up with the bolts from the original hammerhead? Also, what would be the most reliable site to buy this GM part so I don't get a fake?

There was a similar flushmount spoiler from Motorsport Performance Design http://www.mpd1.com/ but it is no longer in production. I talked to the owner and he said I could mail him a trunk lid and he would install the spoiler for around $500 and mail it back to me.

This one is not bad, but again, not sure about diffuculty due to the bolts not lining up.

I do like the look of this one, but it's carbon fiber plastic. Could I sand and paint this spoiler to match my car? I believe this spoiler installs with 3M OEM tape. I've also read a case where someone bought this spoiler but it was a knockoff and didn't fit the car properly.

Thanks for reading!

Re: Taking off the Hammerhead Spoiler(and possibly putting another on)

I'll buy you a spoiler in trade for your stock GXP spoiler. I pay shipping for the new one you pay for shipping me yours.

Comment

Maybe, I would need the new spoiler first obviously so I could install it when I take the old one off, and I would ship you the old one afterwards. Shipping the spoiler could be pretty expensive.

Have any info/opinions on any of my questions?

Comment

Does anyone have any info on the bolt pattern for the flushmount coupe spoiler? Is it the same as the hammerhead?

Comment

Working...
        X