Stereo Help!!pls help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereo Help!!pls help!

I understand that my 2006 Pontiac G6 has a DIC located in the stereo of the car. Sadly my car is an older version and i don't have an Auxiliary Port. I was hoping to get one but i have a few questions. Is the DIC really necessary? Is It worth re-programming a newer stereo (with Aux port) to my car or am i better off getting an aftermarket radio? Any Suggestions are appreciated. I don't want to make the wrong move.
    Last edited by Vapor280; 04-06-2017, 09:05 PM.

Re: Stereo Help!!pls help!

Originally posted by Vapor280 View Post
    I understand that my 2006 Pontiac G6 has a DIC located in the stereo of the car. Sadly my car is an older version and i don't have an Auxiliary Port. I was hoping to get one but i have a few questions. Is the DIC really necessary? Is It worth re-programming a newer stereo (with Aux port) to my car or am i better off getting an aftermarket radio? Any Suggestions are appreciated. I don't want to make the wrong move.
    as far as I know all the information is located in the DIC except mileage. if this is important to you, you'll be stuck with it for now.

you can get a metra dash kit and retain the functionality with an aftermarket headunit (I'm not sure how this works, just a quick search and found this)

if you want to do some more work, you can swap your speedometer cluster with a 2009.5 which includes all that information in the cluster itself rather than the radio. that way you can install a new headunit without losing any functionality. http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/20...-swap-how.html

Comment

if all you want is an aux input get the gadget that fits between the antenna and radio.my radio had xm so i went with that.

Comment

Thanks, ill take a look

Comment

this one is kind of pricey, but it gives you an idea of what you are looking for. with this you can have your cake and eat it too just relocate the dic to the glove box or anywhere else you'd like

Comment

This will probably be your cheapest and easiest option. You get to keep everything stock and just add this in.

Comment

Ok, so I went through the same thought options when I upgraded my radio. You have a few options:
              1. Get the Metra Kit. It's around $100 (last I looked). It takes the place of a dash kit, so there's a plus. However, it limits you to using a single DIN radio. I believe it matches your car's existing bezel alright, but I do not believe the display is red, so it doesn't look factory if that is important to you.

2. Upgrade your gauge cluster. The 2009.5 and up models moved the DIC into the gaue cluster, and I know there is a how-to on updating the cluster to this. You'll need to find the appropriate cluster, steering wheel buttons, and run a wire between the two. Depending on the cost of the cluster, could be a little pricey. Plus, it will mess up the original odo reading (since this is stored in the cluster).

3. An AUX interface between the radio and antenna. There are several kits for this. They're all garbage. I tried it, it sounded terrible, and took it right out.

4. Fudge it and have no DIC (what I did). The DIC, while useful, is not necessary. All you'll really lose is trip info, oil change reminder, outside temp, and what the dinging in your car means (door ajar anyway).

I plan on eventually upgrading my gauge cluster for the DIC at some point, but honestly I've never really missed it.
              Time to nut up or shut up

My progression thus far

Comment

Originally posted by carljames0603 View Post
                Plus, it will mess up the original odo reading (since this is stored in the cluster).
                The odometer info is stored in the BCM. Swapping clusters does nothing to the mileage reading of your G6.

Comment

Originally posted by CruisinG6 View Post
                  The odometer info is stored in the BCM. Swapping clusters does nothing to the mileage reading of your G6.
                  Oh, that I didn't know. It was stored in the cluster in my 2000 Buick, so I assumed. That's actually good to know.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
                  Time to nut up or shut up

My progression thus far

Comment

Oh yea. GM started using BCMs in the mid to late 2000s.
                    Kind of a pain in the ass. But in some cases like this. It makes the DIC swap and mileage not being an issue nice and easy heh

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X