problem when fuse tapping for a dashcam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem when fuse tapping for a dashcam

I have a g1w and a generic fuse tap, am tapping into my passenger side fuse compartment box fuses and am having poor luck. What i'm trying to do is have the dashcam power on when my car turns on, and shut off when the car shuts off.
    My problem is every single fuse, including ones that draw no power when the car is off (like the radio fuse) still powers on the dash cam. tried with a few others just hoping they would work and none do, they all power the dash cam even when the car sits off

anyone have a fuse tapped dash cam? what fuse did you use to get it to power on and off with the car?

Re: problem when fuse tapping for a dashcam

Iirc people use the wiper fuse for taps like that. I believe it's only powered when the key is on. I can double check with my car tomorrow if need be

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CruisinG6 View Post
      Iirc people use the wiper fuse for taps like that. I believe it's only powered when the key is on. I can double check with my car tomorrow if need be

thats the one fuse that I didnt try before, just tried now and it works as expected.. I was turned away from that one because the wipers are important and if it fails on me that'll be a problem when driving, is that an issue at all when fuse tapping or should I be fine?

Comment

I've never heard of any issues.
        If you bought the fuse tap that adds a fuse then both circuits are still protected.
        Anyways the dash cam likely doesn't draw much current when in use.

Just curious, which dashcam did you get?

Comment

Originally posted by CruisinG6 View Post
          I've never heard of any issues.
          If you bought the fuse tap that adds a fuse then both circuits are still protected.
          Anyways the dash cam likely doesn't draw much current when in use.

Just curious, which dashcam did you get?

Went with a g1w, just got a generic fuse tap, but yah it has the add on so both are protected

Comment

Working...
          X