Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aftermarket Side Skirt Install (anyone done it?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket Side Skirt Install (anyone done it?)

Hey everyone. Getting ready to work on my wife's silver 2006 G6 GT 4 door. Thanks to living in NY the sides below the doors are pretty rusty. I was looking at ordering a side skirt kit to (ahem) sort of cover the majority of this.

First off, I have a small bodyshop and bodywork is what I do. HOWEVER, this car has 160,000 miles on it and the rust is pretty significant. I was planning to grind down the majority of it, prime it and then install the skirts over top of that. I don't want to bother cutting, patching, welding, etc. This is just to pretty it up a bit and prolong its inevitable trip to the junk yard.

My question is (and I searched, I promise), has anyone installed these side skirts before? I was looking at the typical Duraflex kits I've seen all over. http://www.carid.com/duraflex/gt-com...D7gaAiiR8P8HAQ My concern is specifically how they attach to the car. If it requires drilling into the sides, where the rot is, they won't work without cutting and pathing metal. And if I do that, I won't bother with the kit. If it attaches to the existing plastic bodypiece that runs along the bottom, it may be worth a look.

Anyone done this install before and have photos or some way of explaining how they attach these skirts to the car?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Aftermarket Side Skirt Install (anyone done it?)

I would love to get these if I could never find the stock g6 GXP ones. You could look for those of you want? They are called rocker moldings and here is two sites I use:
    Partshotlines.com is the internet's only place to find used auto parts and used car parts from auto salvage yards within seconds - no junk yards here.

Comment

Thanks for the links but there is still no indication of how they mount up. No one here knows?

Comment

Duraflex is crap. I put the GM kit on mine which has the side skirts.
        Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
        Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
        WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Originally posted by Lampoon View Post
          Duraflex is crap. I put the GM kit on mine which has the side skirts.
          This is great feedback on the quality, but could you elaborate on how they attached, which is the main question of the original poster.
          2007 Pontiac G6 3.5L V6 | 1998 BMW Z3 Dinan

Comment

Well I dont know how you install the duracrap. Its push pins and 3m tape on the GM kit.
            Post #101 from my Ole Blue thread : Clicky here

Finished gm kit pix here.
            Last edited by Lampoon; 09-13-2016, 06:53 AM.
            Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
            Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
            WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Do you know any place to get this kit now? I keep looking on ebay and can't seem to find one. I was able to get a link to a gm site that advertised them, but for like $1k..dont want to drop that much lol

Comment

Working...
              X