Upgrading From 16'' steel wheels to 17'' chrome wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading From 16'' steel wheels to 17'' chrome wheels

I have a 2008 G6 with steel wheels. I found a super deal on a set of 17'' chrome g6 wheels. What size tire would I need to keep the speedometer the same? Could I stick with the stock 17'' tire size of 225/50/17? Or would I need the speedometer recalibrated (if thats even possible)?

Also, are the bolt patterns and offset the same? I see a lot of people going from 16'' to 18'', but not many people going from 16 to 17.

Re: Upgrading From 16'' steel wheels to 17'' chrome wheels

Bolt pattern will be 5x110. Look up an online calculator for tire and wheel size for your speedo. I know the stock chrome GT wheels come stock with 225/50-17. My GXP came stock with 225/50-18 and I put 245/45-18 and the speedo difference is less than 1 mph I believe.

You could even go up to an 18" wheel. I won't do it on a 4 cylinder engine tho, just because I wouldn't want to add rotating mass on a car with 100 hp.
    Current Mods: K&N Typhoon Air Intake System, 10000K DDM HID Lows and fogs, 6000K Highs, 18" Forte Nokturnal rims, Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 Tires, Chrome upper and lower grilles, self tinted tail lights, self painted interior pieces, RacingLine front strut tower bar, GT-R exhaust, Blue painted Calipers, Lampoon blue dart overlays, LED reverse lights, sometimes a WAMS tune,Brembo Brake Conversion, Cobalt SS rear Brake conversion, 15mm H&R Spacers, ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid, Eagle Eye CCFL Headlights, Optima Yellow top Battery, Moog Control Arms & Tie rod ends, BMD SS Brake Lines, BMD Swaybar Links, White LED Gauge Lights,

RIP
    INDIAN WARRIORS
    1926-2010

Comment

I found a chrome set of GT wheels for $80 in perfect shape with center caps. I have the steel wheels without hubcaps now. A set of hubcaps will run about the same as what I can buy the GT wheels for. After some research it looks like if I go with a 225/55/17 it will be less than 1 mph off, so I believe that is the route I will go. I just wanted to make sure they will bolt up and fit fine.

Comment

Everything is the same. They'll bolt right up. Stick with the stock tire size.

Comment

look on the inside of your driver's door frame for a sticker with tire information. I believe it will list a 16" and 17" size. If you stick with those sizes then you'll be fine. There are online calculators too you can enter your old and new info into and find out what would work.
          2007 Pontiac G6 3.5L V6 | 1998 BMW Z3 Dinan

Comment

Upgrading From 16 steel wheels to 17 chrome wheels

Dont shoot me....Im just trying to think outside the box here lol

Ive been researching mesh wheels and would really love to find some 5-lug options that fit well. I stumbled across these. The lug pattern is the same. Not sure about offset and hub size. Anyone know if theyll work?

Comment

Working...
            X