2009.5-2010 Dash Cluster Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009.5-2010 Dash Cluster Question

I've been looking into adding a double din stereo into my 666 ('06 V6 G6) for a while now, but the outright robbery cost of the metra conversion kit and the fact I'll have to put it somewhere in the car, has kinda turned me off.
    Then, I realized the 2009.5-2010 G6s had the DIC moved to the dash cluster! Eureka! I thought. Surely, theres already a guide for the rewiring. Correct!
    Even with all the parts purchasing, it's still cheaper to go with cluster and cruise button swap.

Only thing is, I'm in Canada, and the only clusters I can find are the ones that go up to 140. Even if they can switch to KPH, that won't do on Canadian roads.

So, I'm kinda stuck here. Did the late era G6s only come with these 140mph clusters in Canada too? Or was there a specific cluster for KPH vehicles?

Better question; does anyone have one they want to get rid of? I kinda want to make this project as cheap and efficient as possible since..yknow..I'm poor and all that. XD
    Any other options? Am I being too closed minded about this? Can I maybe switch the cluster to kph, pop it open, and put the old 2006 overlay inside? (worst idea)

Re: 2009.5-2010 Dash Cluster Question

Yes, they did in fact have Canadian spec clusters for the 09.5 and 2010 models.
    I know other members have found them and even posted part numbers.
    I'll see what I can find for you.
    Unless someone else chimes in first with a possible cluster you can use heh

Comment

Couple of things before I get into it, though.
      I've been reading a little bit more and it seems the community is divided on a couple of things (at least they were a few years back)
      1) Do I need to match the engines, or will the digital bits inside figure things out? Clearly, this would be impossible. My G6 runs the old 3.5L, non-VVT that came in the Base sport package.
      2) Would this even work? Theres been two schools of thought. Basically, the cluster is just a dummy module that reads the DIC information from the BCM; no problem. OR the other being that the years of different programing would render the cluster unable to
      read the BCM, causing all sorts of random unknown problems. To fix this would require having the BCM reflashed at minimum (which I have NO idea how to do...and if I sent it away, I'd be without a car for however long it took.) What are the risks here, as well? If any, that is.
      3) Since I'd be re-running the line that carries the DIC information from the BCM to the radio, instead into the cluster, would this render the radio inoperable until I sat down and actually replaced it? Or would it simply maintain the final reads it had/read 000 on everything??

Again, sorry to be a bother. I've done my fair share of panel popping on this car (dash, radio swap to 2008, door panels, replaced broken factory speakers with salvaged factory speakers, front and back, replaced the panel I broke while replacing the front and back speakers...removed the seats to "do it right"...replaced the headlight casings because the originals leaked...) but have very little knowledge of how the BCM works in this car.

To think, all this could have been avoided had GM simply placed the DIC in the dash like everyone else, in the first &%^king place.:/

Comment

1) I don't believe you need to match the engines, I was more suggesting to match the rpm gauge as some are 7k and some are 8k.
        I don't think getting a different one would cause it to read incorrectly. But I can't be absolutely sure as no one has tried it.

2) The way vehicle can-bus systems work is they send out a continuous steam of data across the data wires. These wires go to nearly every module, stereo, cluster, on-star etc etc.
        Each device on the line only looks for the information it needs I'm the stream.
        So while this flood of information is hitting the instrument cluster, the circuitry within is only looking for the rpm signal, speed signal, fuel, temp, lights etc.

So since the same steam of data hits the stereo and the cluster, adding a cluster with a dic only allows it to pickup that info and display it.

Which brings me to...
        3) when I installed my cluster I still had my factory stereo installed.
        Both worked fine. Both buttons worked and both dic displays reacted the same.
        When the display was clear on the stereo (not showing info) that's when the cluster shows the odometer and outside temp.

As far as compatibility goes with different years. It is confirmed to work on 2007 model year G6's.
        I'm fairly certain it'll work on 2006 and even 2005 as they all had the same original clusters until 2009.5
        Only problem I see with some 2005-2006 G6's is they have a 4 spoke steering wheel and the new buttons needed won't fit it. So either get the newer steering wheel or find a way to dash mount a button (which I did not find a useful method for yet)

Since they all had the same cluster they should all be looking for the same data stream information.

I've noticed a few imperfections with the swap which I have outlined in the swap thread, but they're completely livable in my opinion.
        Last edited by CruisinG6; 07-15-2016, 10:37 PM.

Comment

I read through the thread again. Doesn't seem like theres all that many issues. Did you ever figure out a way to get the chimes back?
          I don't really care too much about the odometer lag, I'm mostly in it to keep the oil life meter.

Found your cables/plugs on eBay. Soon as I get a cluster lined up, expect $3.50 Canadian

Comment

I got the PAC wiring harness (one of 3 I found listed in the swap thread)
            This harness came with a speaker to retain all the chimes and sounds.
            I ran the wire and plug up to my steering column, since the top pops off quickly I can always plug the speaker in or unplug it.

Ever since doing the swap I found I prefer the speaker disconnected heh.

Anyways I know there are many other harness/interface kits available. Some retain more features than others. They should list if they retain door chimes and warning chimes though.

Comment

Checked out my cluster; RPMs go up to 6, then redline. This'd be a 7k, correct?
              As far as retaining chimes, I think I'd be alright if it were just that. But you lose turn signal clicks as well, correct? Thatll drive me nuts.

Comment

The highest number on my rpm gauge is 8. So I took that as an 8k tach. I didn't realize some redline past the last digit, I'm sure by pics you can find the right match.

And yes, you lose the turn signal clicks. They do come back with the right stereo wiring harness. But it may sound a bit different.

Comment

Working...
                X