Checking transmission fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking transmission fluid

My G6 is getting near 100000 Km and I want to check the ATF to make sure its in good condition. Theres no dip stick so I was wondering how I could go about taking a small sample of fluid from the transmission.

I'm running the 2.4L with the 4 Speed automatic.

Re: Checking transmission fluid

That's a good time to change it anyway in my opinion.

Make sure the transmission is warm and on level ground. Find the fill/drain plug underneath the car. The fluid should be even with that hole, if not, add some more until it starts to drip out.
    If you want to check the condition of the fluid, stick your pinky in and wipe it on a paper towel.

Comment

GM 4t45/4t65 transmissions are designed to NOT require a fluid flush. Read up your car owner's book. This tranny does not require maintenance on its life in normal driving condition. Some people even experienced troubles with it after servicing their tranny fluid.
      Last edited by DelHuge; 05-31-2016, 06:16 PM. Reason: Oops.

Comment

Here: http://www.vadengmpp.com/owners-manu...Pontiac-G6.pdf

See page 5-29, then page 6-6. A tranny fluid flush is only required under severe service. Check on the small seevice board for the 2.4L and look the footnote (h) for additionnal informations.

Comment

Nothing is *ever* lifetime rated on a car. "Lifetime" means longer period between maintenance. The part that handles the output of the engine full of moving parts is going to need servicing at some point in its life. Especially GM junk.

So instead of trusting GM's word on it, I just want to check to make sure the ATF is a healthy red color. Because 5 minutes of my time is far better than my car being written off because surprise surprise something went wrong and the fluid burnt up and destroyed my transmission.

Did I ever say I was going to flush it? No, I didn't. I just want to give it a health check. Fluids red? Good I can be on my way. Fluid's brown because human engineering isn't flawless? Good I caught it before it caused damage and now I can take it to GM and have them flush it for 150$ instead of having to buy a new car.

So instead of leaping to conclusions and spouting off GM's pamphlet how about just answering the question I asked?

Comment

Lol. Did'nt want to get you mad. The dipstick on my Malibu 3.9L was located behind the engine. I think the 2.4L does'nt have a transmission oil dipstick. Only a filler cap. The level has to be checked by a dealer.
            Last edited by DelHuge; 06-01-2016, 01:33 AM.

Comment

I took a look in my Haynes manual, on the Malibu with 4 cylinders engine there is a check plug "located near the pan, adjacent to the engine oil drain plug". I don't know if it is for the 2.2L or both the 2.2L and the 2.4L though. They say to check the fluid level and/or color, "remove the vent/fill cap", "place a container under the check plug and remove it". The engine has to be at normal operating temperature.

Comment

Checking transmission fluid

I was not paying attention and poured about a cup 4-6 ounces of power steering fluid into my transmission.

I havent started the engine.

I am draining and refilling.

Do I need a new spin on?

Help
                My choice mt4 ea for successful trading

Comment

Working...
                X