Towing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing?

First of all, sorry if this is the wrong thread.

Anyways, I was wondering how feasible towing with a G6 is? I normally wouldn't consider the idea except for the other day I was driving down a back road and I saw another G6 towing a tent trailer behind it!

I didn't see a V6 badge on the back however that doesn't mean its not a V6. But now I wonder if it could be done with the 2.4L.

My G6 is the 2.4L ecotec with the 4 Speed Auto. Obviously I would need a transmission cooler and possibly some more robust brakes but otherwise would the 2.4L have enough power to tow a tent trailer? Is the transmission robust enough? What about the structure of the car itself?

Any info/help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Re: Towing?

How much weight? That's the question.
    1972 F100
    1978 Twinstar
    1992 Miata
    2014 Mustang

Comment

1000 pounds maximum.

Comment

1000 pounds should'nt be a problem. Towing with a small car only requires common sense. Adding a tranny oil cooler would help it, but I'm not sure it is a must for only towing 1000 pounds. The G6 trannies are to be taken good care though. For the brakes, just go easy on them and you should not have any problem. Heavy foot on the brake pedal is what bring them to wear off too quickly. Else, maybe some EBC parts (and light foot) would do the trick.
        Last edited by DelHuge; 05-25-2016, 09:34 PM. Reason: Lol'D.

Comment

Well my current brakes are completely shot so I'll just replace them with a bit beefier ones.

Comment

Originally posted by BlargKing View Post
            Well my current brakes are completely shot so I'll just replace them with a bit beefier ones.
            Good option then.

Comment

Slam Brembos on and be good on brakes.
              1972 F100
              1978 Twinstar
              1992 Miata
              2014 Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by JJT*90 View Post
                Slam Brembos on and be good on brakes.
                Brembos are likely beyond my budget.

Comment

I got my brembos for 165.00 total. Use car-part.com to find them

Comment

I don't see why Brembos would be better just because they're made by Brembo. They'll wear as quickly as the other brands. The secret is to go easy on brakes. There are other cheaper brands that will do the job for less money.

Comment

Good point DelHuge. I wanted a bigger brake kit plus brembos look way better than the look of a two piston caliper. This is just a person's preference of course.

Comment

Firstly, car-part.com is about the worst website I've ever used. Secondly, after digging through the cancerous maze that is their website I never found anything Brembo. Third, its a Pontiac G6, it doesn't even deserve Brembos. Honestly if I didn't want to tow anything I would buy the cheapest brakes that were OEM spec and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by BlargKing View Post
                          Firstly, car-part.com is about the worst website I've ever used. Secondly, after digging through the cancerous maze that is their website I never found anything Brembo. Third, its a Pontiac G6, it doesn't even deserve Brembos. Honestly if I didn't want to tow anything I would buy the cheapest brakes that were OEM spec and be done with it.
                          Standard quality disks and better quality pads is what I would go for. When you go easy on brake, the only thing you will replace on them will be the pads. So a good solution is to go with a little better quality pads and standard disks in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                          X