adding map lights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding map lights?

I just recently purchased a 2007 G6 base model, and I would LOVE to add the map lights (and possibly the visor lights too) I have 2 questions if anyone has had any experience with something like this. 1. Is it possible, like does my base model have the connections somewhere or would a need massive upgrades. 2. Assuming all i have to do is get the parts, has anyone ever completed this before?

thanks in advance, even if the answer is no you can't do this..

Re: adding map lights?

I thought all G6s had map lights on the headliner.
    I would recommend looking under the head liner for the harnesses to the visor lights before buying, unless you are comfortable with wiring them up. Cars are sometimes prewired for things like that.

Show: GXP Hood - 2009.5 Front Bumper & Rear Spoiler - Black Housing Headlights - White LED Reverse and License Plate Lights- White LED Interior Dome & Map Lights - Matsushita Gen4 6000K HID Lows - White LED Fogs - GXP Rear Bumper - White LED KPH Instrument Cluster Conversion - 15% Tint

Go: CRAB + FPU Powder coated wrinkle black - Racingline STB , MMI & Grounding Kit - Dash Hawk - Front 4 Piston Brembo Brakes - Rear Cobalt SS TC Brakes - BMD Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines & Endlinks - WAMS 93 Tune - Custom Magnaflow Exhaust - Milzy Motorsports Headers

Progression Page: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22818
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2594110

Comment

Nope, unfortunately mine has no lights.. it has the contoured area where the fixture would go.. I went to a junkyard today got visors (mine currently mine are super loose and "flappy" ) I got the the only ones that werent just as flappy as mine and they have vanity lights, for now I am just gonna install the visors and push the cables for the lights in the headliner. Eventually I will probably pull the headliner and try to install the map light fixture. Even if I can only tap into the dome light power I imagine that would be sufficient for what I need, I don't care if they work off the door being open as long as I can turn them on and off..

Comment

If I recall, the wiring harness for the headliner is one piece that goes all the way back to the rear fuse panel for termination, without a connection in between. I tried to get one that had the sunroof, homelink, and compass/temp mirror once and removed all of the wiring until I got to the rear c-pillar/seat area, when I ended up just cutting it.

As far as adding it, that shouldn't be hard, depending on what you want it to do. You could even add Homelink while you are at it, since that only needs power and ground. You could either take power off the domelight, or take power from the under the dash by running the wires down the A-pillar. Just make sure you use a switched power source for the lights (and other accessories) and now the one powered only when the door is opened/light is on. You would use that wire if you were to want them to come on when the door is opened.

You would need to get the mounting brackets. My suggestion would be to get one from the junkyard if possible, and assuming you done get the whole headliner, cut out the headliner around the console about 4-6 inches so that it includes the curved portion. Then when you get home, remove all the parts, and fit the cutout headliner piece over your current headliner and that should give you the template needed to cut out.
        2007 Pontiac G6 3.5L V6 | 1998 BMW Z3 Dinan

Comment

I went to a local junkyard, and got the parts I need.($7 can't neat that) I also found a 2007 just like mine with no map lights and was able to determine that there is no pre wiring to that area. The only wiring up there is for the dome light, but that is fine I should be able to tap into those wires pretty easily. I plan on pulling the whole headliner and cutting the hole and wiring both the map lights and the mirror vanity lights, and might clean some spots while I have it off.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Comment

So I took the plunge today.. First thing I will say is, that the hardest part of this is removing the headliner.. If I was giving someone advice, I would say remove the seats first.. I wrestled with it for waaay to long before I broke down and took the seats out, and even then it really didn't come out easy.. I had to force it out, I thought it was going to make bend creases in the headliner, but thankfully that didn't happen. I did at least clean my seats while I had them out..

I didn't really take enough pictures to make a good how-to. So this is more of a I-did not a how-to :-) Also once the headliner is out its just cutting the hole and taping into the dome lights wiring. I am glad when I got the stuff from the junkyard I pulled the wiring that went with the map lights and the vanity mirror lights. Using the existing wiring connectors made the wiring part pretty simple. The wire bundle going to my dome light had three wires red black and grey. I just wired all the new stuff together up near the front, and then joined that back with the dome light wiring at the back. Initially I cut the existing dome light wires to be able to remove the headliner. I joined all the wires back with butt connectors.

I will probably try to clean the cut around the map light fixture later so the light fixture fits tighter, but I did pick the hottest day of the year to complete this job, so I was a sweaty mess and had to get the car back together for dinner plans.. That being said I am SUPER happy I did this, and good thing I am because no one else really cares.. :-) I think it turned out nicely and you can't beat getting this completed for a grand total of $20.
            Before

After

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
            Last edited by lazarsu2297; 06-04-2016, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Now that you have those, you can add Homelink if you can find one...
              2007 Pontiac G6 3.5L V6 | 1998 BMW Z3 Dinan

Comment

Awesome update.
                I was able to find a homelink map light console out of a Malibu on EBay for cheap. It even has LED ambient lights that shine down to light up the shift console and cup holders. Just haven't wired it up yet. Unfortunately the Malibu part didn't come with the harness ends, so I will have to solder wires to the home link. It has a strange looking connection, and don't think I could find one.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks! I am glad I did it.. I am not sure I would need homelink isn't that for garage doors and similar things.. I have none of that stuff. I would like the little led ambient lights. I would also like to upgrade the bulbs to led's

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X