Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know why the convertable has a small mid pipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know why the convertable has a small mid pipe?

Last year I bought my wife a 2007 convertable with a 3.9 . I have it up on the rack right now installing new oil pan gaskets,tie rods,trans filters ect. I look at the pipe coming off the very large head pipes and they necked it down to tiny little pipewith no resonators . Its like that all the way to the muffler and then it necks it back up to a large pipe just before it goes into the muffler. Its stock for sure but for the life of me I cant understand the logic. Wikipedia says the 3.9 in the convertable had less power than the coupe . What gives? Was it for sound with the top down to make it super quiet or something?
    The more I drive this car the more I love it. They went to town stiffining up the chassis underneath. Girders everwhere and the solid smooth ride shows. I am going to weld up a stainless mid pipe of a more appropriet size and see what happens.

Re: Does anyone know why the convertable has a small mid pipe?

If I remember right, I think it was done to quiet the ride.
    Current Mods: K&N Typhoon Air Intake System, 10000K DDM HID Lows and fogs, 6000K Highs, 18" Forte Nokturnal rims, Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 Tires, Chrome upper and lower grilles, self tinted tail lights, self painted interior pieces, RacingLine front strut tower bar, GT-R exhaust, Blue painted Calipers, Lampoon blue dart overlays, LED reverse lights, sometimes a WAMS tune,Brembo Brake Conversion, Cobalt SS rear Brake conversion, 15mm H&R Spacers, ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid, Eagle Eye CCFL Headlights, Optima Yellow top Battery, Moog Control Arms & Tie rod ends, BMD SS Brake Lines, BMD Swaybar Links, White LED Gauge Lights,

RIP
    INDIAN WARRIORS
    1926-2010

Comment

I wonder if it was to clear the chassis bracing. I wanted to install those on my car but I don't think that would clear my exhaust.

Show: GXP Hood - 2009.5 Front Bumper & Rear Spoiler - Black Housing Headlights - White LED Reverse and License Plate Lights- White LED Interior Dome & Map Lights - Matsushita Gen4 6000K HID Lows - White LED Fogs - GXP Rear Bumper - White LED KPH Instrument Cluster Conversion - 15% Tint

Go: CRAB + FPU Powder coated wrinkle black - Racingline STB , MMI & Grounding Kit - Dash Hawk - Front 4 Piston Brembo Brakes - Rear Cobalt SS TC Brakes - BMD Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines & Endlinks - WAMS 93 Tune - Custom Magnaflow Exhaust - Milzy Motorsports Headers

Progression Page: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22818
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2594110

Comment

Sounds like some one eliminated the resonator. When I bought mine, it had the resonator, and it had the exhaust whistle, (google it), and Carmax replaced it...with a glass pack. Anyway, it sounds pretty good, and factory had a resonator there. I checked with my GM parts department, and the best we could figure the difference in HP comes from the piping being twisted around everything back there.
        I have had the convertible about 5 years now, and I love it. A strut brace helps, I think I used a Malibu one, you can feel the difference there.
        Sure, I worry about the top, the only problem I have had is a broken cable on the left. I keep the linkages, and weatherstrips all lubed probably twice a year.
        Enjoy the car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

After doing some closer inspection the factory resonator is under a heat sheild . They did indeed crush the tiny pipe even more where it had to clear one of the chassis braces. The blown flex joint and oil leak made it to annpoying to drive. Oil dripped right on the headpipe creating a smell. If the resonator has a large diameter I will reuse it otherwise its getting large id tube all the way to the muffler. Im not sure if anyone has done it but I managed to get the oil pan off the car without raising the engine. Removing the 2 right side lower cradle bolts and prying it down 1 inch gave just enough clearance to slide the pan out . This car has been through some rough times but I got it pretty cheap so its will be worth it to restore all the damage and issues. I kind of worry about the top but you know in this world everything that has been made once can be made again.
          Thanks guys

Comment

So what is this about a strut brace? Is it just a croos tube on the strut towers in front?
            Last edited by gwizzer; 03-06-2016, 06:48 AM.

Comment

No, it's about this:

Show: GXP Hood - 2009.5 Front Bumper & Rear Spoiler - Black Housing Headlights - White LED Reverse and License Plate Lights- White LED Interior Dome & Map Lights - Matsushita Gen4 6000K HID Lows - White LED Fogs - GXP Rear Bumper - White LED KPH Instrument Cluster Conversion - 15% Tint

Go: CRAB + FPU Powder coated wrinkle black - Racingline STB , MMI & Grounding Kit - Dash Hawk - Front 4 Piston Brembo Brakes - Rear Cobalt SS TC Brakes - BMD Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines & Endlinks - WAMS 93 Tune - Custom Magnaflow Exhaust - Milzy Motorsports Headers

Comment

Originally posted by gwizzer View Post
                So what is this about a strut brace? Is it just a croos tube on the strut towers in front?
                Yep, that's what I was getting at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

My convertable has all those x braces . I ordered all the 2.25" tubing and a center inlet vibrant muffler to replace the whole system. I will just weld up a u bracket for more clearance around the brace and not to the lazy thing of pinching the pipe like gm did. My exhaust does make a hissing turbo sound under hard acceleration which from research is a bad resonator or muffler so Ill just replace it all. It will all be stainless steel due to me living in WI .

Comment

Post pics when you do. I'm interested to see the bracing.

Comment

Well I custom built a 2 1/4" stainlees tube system from the flex joint to the tailpipe. The resonator and muffler are in the same spots as stock but are no longer acting as a straw. The sound is surpizingly mellow with the tame rumble on acceleration . Its nice and quiet on the highway and fuel ecomony went from a best of 28 to just over 30mpg on last weekends 200 mile trip. At full power it doesnt sign off in the midrange but pulls hard all the way to redline. As far as clearance on the rear crossmember I installed an inch of spacers on the mount right where the huge pipe goes past it. Cost was about $350 and 7 hours of fab time. I reused the stock tips but stuck them out an inch or 2 further. One thing it does is set a p0101 code on a full power run to 70mph. It will never set the code unless you only do the full power run. It did however run the best and got 30mpg with the check engine light on. Id post a pic but the forum seems to have some complicated way to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by black07g6gtp View Post
                        Post pics when you do. I'm interested to see the bracing.
                        So in assuming your thinking what I'm thinking right now? Finding the braces for added support and handling?
                        I live my life a quarter mile at a time. For those 16 seconds or less... I'm telling my g6... Go faster!!!

Progression Page
                        http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...t=26265&page=1

Comment

Does anyone know why the convertable has a small mid pipe?

Originally posted by gwizzer View Post
                          Well I custom built a 2 1/4" stainlees tube system from the flex joint to the tailpipe. The resonator and muffler are in the same spots as stock but are no longer acting as a straw. The sound is surpizingly mellow with the tame rumble on acceleration . Its nice and quiet on the highway and fuel ecomony went from a best of 28 to just over 30mpg on last weekends 200 mile trip. At full power it doesnt sign off in the midrange but pulls hard all the way to redline. As far as clearance on the rear crossmember I installed an inch of spacers on the mount right where the huge pipe goes past it. Cost was about $350 and 7 hours of fab time. I reused the stock tips but stuck them out an inch or 2 further. One thing it does is set a p0101 code on a full power run to 70mph. It will never set the code unless you only do the full power run. It did however run the best and got 30mpg with the check engine light on. Id post a pic but the forum seems to have some complicated way to do it.
                          Please post a pic when you can, do you think there would be room for a 2.5" or 3" exhaust system with the spacers?
                          I live my life a quarter mile at a time. For those 16 seconds or less... I'm telling my g6... Go faster!!!

Progression Page
                          http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...t=26265&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by Newellzie View Post
                            So in assuming your thinking what I'm thinking right now? Finding the braces for added support and handling?

I've considered it for years but I would need to find a vert local and get the parts cheap in case it wont work. I don't know if GM did the best job with strengthening the body for the cars with the panoramic roof. Not sure what do to about getting it around my resonator. I'm sure I would have to have the brace modified or just make something from scratch.

Comment

Id say 2.5 inch is easily done . 3 inch might be to wide to clear the fuel tank passage. DOes the regular g6 have al the x brace mounting extensions that are on the convertable. It also looks to me like the convertable has a lot thicker metal in the actuall floor itself. Id have to see a pic of the standard one to compare. http://www.cannondaleriders.com/foru...opic=27285&hl=
                              As far as the spacer I took some 1 inch tall nuts and one inch longer bolts and just spaced the end of the left rear bracket down .Simple as it gets.
                              Last edited by gwizzer; 05-04-2016, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X