• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G6 Marking it's Territory (leaking)

Leaks from my LX9 G6 with about 116,000 miles on it:
    • oil from Rear Valve Cover
    • Oil from oil Pan where it meets the block
    • Coolant from only lord knows where

The oil concerns me the most as I rarely drive the 6 yet I had to put 3/4 of a quart in her after less than 1,000 miles. There's oil all over the back of the block dripping down onto the exhaust pipe and there's also oil around the top of the oil pan on the front of the block. The accessory belt hasn't been slinging oil anywhere so I'm assuming the timing belt cover is good...for now.

I previously replaced the oil sending unit (above the starter, below the heads) which was leaking. The gasket which attaches the oil filter mount to the block also appears to be dry/not leaking.

I've had a slow coolant leak for several years. She's passed pressure testing twice. I have to top off the coolant reservoir 2-3 times a year. It's not disconcerting but I'm concerned a trickle today might turn into a gusher on a road trip.

The local shop wanted about $1,500 to replace the gaskets for the rear valve cover and the oil pan. Considering the parts are under $100 I'm doing the work my self.

If I'm replacing the valve cover gaskets and oil pan gaskets what else should I proactively replace while I have this thing partially stripped? Should I proactively replace the gasket for the coolant crossover pipe gasket, timing cover gasket, oil filter adapter gasket, water pump, etc.

If it was your vehicle, what else would you replace while you were replacing the valve cover and oil pan gaskets?
    How do I set a laser printer to stun?

Re: G6 Marking it's Territory (leaking)

I have had a front main seal go bad, a front and rear valve cover gasket leak, oil pan I did myself recently and I have yet to replace the rear main seal. I had to replace the oil pan gasket first to see if I do have a rear main seal leak. I would say, if you get it cleaned up to make sure you can monitor it to confirm a final time of where the oil leaks, than that would help. I have yet to have oil filter adapter housing leak. When you get that transmission pushed away from the engine during your oil pan gasket replacement, check out if it is leaking there. You might have one there. Happy tinkering!

Comment

I did the Coolent Crossover Pipe gasket on mine, with water pump and thermostat at the same time. Well worth it. I now have an oil leak to tackle, but haven't looked into it yet.
      2007 Pontiac G6 3.5L V6 | 1998 BMW Z3 Dinan

Comment

I was under the impression the LX9 oil pan did not require the trans to be pushed away. Am I incorrect? I used the search feature and checked Youtube but could not find a definitiv answer. If I have to move the transmission I might just trade up to a g6gxp.
        Originally posted by GMManof3 View Post
        When you get that transmission pushed away from the engine during your oil pan gasket replacement, check out if it is leaking there. You might have one there. Happy tinkering!

Comment

Bump... Does the LX9 require the trans to be partially unbolted? Also, does the frame's cross member end up being unbolted for any reason (it's a real PITA to align those holes back up).

Comment

Hi again, I still have an oil leak myself. Next Monday will be having the dealership look mine over to see where my oil leaks still come from. I did the oil pan myself last time and I believe I fixed it bud. I hope you and I get ours all fixed and never have to deal with it again. I have the lz4 bud. Don't know for sure how much different yours from mine is?

Comment

Working...
            X