Cruisin's Pickup Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruisin's Pickup Truck

Last weekend I received a text from a friend about a truck they have that needs to go.
    I've been wanting a truck for a little while and they've had this one sitting, but I just didn't want to pull the trigger.
    That is until they shot me a text and offered me a deal I couldn't refuse.

So here it is!

It's a 1994 Chevy S10 LS, RWD with the 4.3 TBI V6 and automatic trans
    118k miles, Has a rebuilt title from an accident back in 2002.

I just wanted it for a workhorse to haul crap.

It needs a trans. Engaging first and shifting into second is awful and grindy. Did a trans service with little luck.
    I'll likely get a junkyard trans and do a swap and see how that goes. And while that's out fix the other issues.

Aside from the trans the truck isn't in that bad of shape, It's originally from Oklahoma, has typical frame rust but nothing to worry about.
    Could use a tune up and some steering adjustments but otherwise it's in pretty decent shape,

I figure swap the trans and replace a few things and I'll have myself a good haul truck for car parts or the car itself.

Re: Cruisin's Pickup Truck

You're having too much project to do.

When are you putting a 350 V8 instead of that 4.3L ?

Comment

That looks like an awesome little truck. Won't take up too much space and will get the job done. DelHuge is right though, you got too much free time lol! Good luck on that truck.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the S10 line. I had one for over 10 years. Lots of fun little mods you can do without much investment. Let me know if you need any resources or info, I've done tons of research on parts and such.
        My progression page Clicky

Comment

Yup! Another project! lol

This one probably won't be modified very much, if anything. The 4.3 has plenty of torque and will likely handle my needs just fine, That is once I replace the transmission haha.

The plan now is to fix the trans and the broken engine mount, then tune up the engine and make it reliable. It'll be hauling a bunch of parts for me, and I'll probably put it through it's paces towing the rx-8, likely too big for this little truck, but whatever.

Even after all the work I'll do to it, it'll still end up costing me WAY less than anything else with that many miles, granted it is 21 years old haha

Comment

It will be great as a parts-hauler. Pulling another car, on a trailer, is something lots of people say they have done, but it's not recommended. That's a big load. But, like you said, "whatever". LOL
            The mods I was talking about were mostly lipstick... upgrading to a later year grill with composite headlights, Adding an overhead console with compass and thermometer... things like that.
            LMC Truck dot com is the best resource for parts. They have pretty much everything but the frame (And I think they might be able to special-order those!).
            Have fun!

Comment

Oh great thanks for that info!
              I was actually looking at doing some work, I probably wont swap out the front end. I may get conversion headlights to replace the sealed beams with H4 replaceable bulbs though.

If I were to do anything I was thinking maybe swapping the engine over to CPI with the vortec heads to make a little more power, and maybe some air bag helper springs in the back if I do plan to haul my car. I'm sure it's too heavy but I know it'll work haha

I like the simplicity of the truck, If anything else breaks it'll likely be easier to fix than the G6 haha

Anyways mods are later on the list, first things first, Swap that trans and make it work haha

Comment

Good luck on the tranny!
                (By the way, you can actually upgrade the shift servo to one from Corvette to give it a more solid shift. Direct swap, too!)

I miss mine, used to haul all sorts of stuff when camping.
                Last edited by FentonDude; 11-19-2015, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Funny you mention the servo, I know I can only use a trans from a 93 or 94, but I was wondering why a camaro or corvette trans wouldn't work. I knew there were changes in the servo, but wasn't sure about the tail housing or anything else on the trans.
                  Either way I found 2 near me with low enough miles for a good enough price to at least take the gamble on it working.
                  Maybe I'll swap the servo out anyways, Solid shifts are nice, but it will be a work truck after all.

Looks like a nice one there, and still sitting pretty level full of stuff!

Comment

Why not building up a little bit the transmission ? Plus, add an engine oil cooler and a transmission oil cooler and it could be good to haul your RX-8. And the RX-8 will be much more light than stock while it's going to be a race car without much "useless" parts on it (A/C, radio, interior trims, pretty much every parts lol...). Maybe a good rear differential and a tough drive shaft and you're in business !

Comment

A trans cooler is definitely on the list. As for building the trans idk what else I would do, if anything. Maybe mod the valve body, not sure.
                      Oil cooler I'll do if I determine the temp is too high.

The rest I'm sure can take it.
                      And while the rx-8 will be lighter a car hauling trailer is itself pretty heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by CruisinG6 View Post
                        A trans cooler is definitely on the list. ...
                        And while the rx-8 will be lighter a car hauling trailer is itself pretty heavy.
                        Brakes would be my area of focus. Lots of options available for adding Disc brakes to rear.
                        I don't know for sure about the 94, but my 96 (and most other years as well) came with factory wiring for installing controller for trailer brakes. It consisted of a few wires located near the master cyl, routed to the rear bumper.

Comment

What about swapping the transmission ? The stock transmission is a 4L60. You could go with a 4L65 or maybe a 4L80 if it fits. The 4L65 was design for the Vortec 6.0L (according to Wikipedia). Must be build more tough than the 4L60 I guess. I don't really know about the 4L80 though.

Comment

The stock trans is the 4L60-E (electronic shifting) Unfortunately I can not upgrade to the 65e or 80e. Mainly because of the computer.
                            93 and 94 4L60-E transmissions use a TCC solenoid that operates as a normal ON/OFF solenoid. In 1995 they started using PWM (pulse width modulation) to control the TCC solenoid, As a result my Ecu will not handle the 95+ Trans, let alone the 65e or 80e, As those didn't really come out until 2001-2006 respectively.

The only transmissions I can bolt right in that'll work is either 1993 or 1994 4L60E. I guess some changes in the servos and tail shaft happened between models, but that's all swappable stuff...
                            Last edited by CruisinG6; 11-21-2015, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CruisinG6 View Post
                              The stock trans is the 4L60-E (electronic shifting) Unfortunately I can not upgrade to the 65e or 80e. Mainly because of the computer.
                              93 and 94 4L60-E transmissions use a TCC solenoid that operates as a normal ON/OFF solenoid. In 1995 they started using PWM (pulse width modulation) to control the TCC solenoid, As a result my Ecu will not handle the 95+ Trans, let alone the 65e or 80e, As those didn't really come out until 2001-2006 respectively.

The only transmissions I can bolt right in that'll work is either 1993 or 1994 4L60E. I guess some changes in the servos and tail shaft happened between models, but that's all swappable stuff...
                              I see.

Comment

Working...
                              X