How-To Remove and replace covers from seat cushions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How-To Remove and replace covers from seat cushions

This is part two of the conversion from regular cloth seats to leather seats, and modding the covers to fit the seat-mounted side airbags.
    Part 1, removing the seat and seat cushions, is here
    How to remove cushions from a bucket seat
    This step is how to remove the covers from the seat cushions, and reinstall them

After removing the cushion from the seat frame, lift the cover up on the sides.

There is a plastic rod that runs front to rear on each side of the seat, and a third that runs side-to-side. These are fastened to the seat cushion with hog rings (Split steel rings). There are about 7 on each side front to rear, and 2-3 across the center.

The plastic rods are secured to heavy fiber twine molded into the foam padding of the seat cushions.
    You need to cut all of these rings to remove the cover from the cushion. I used bolt cutters. You could probably use a heavy duty set of wire cutters.
    This goes much easier with two people. One to hold the sections of cushion apart, the other to actually cut the rings. Be careful when cutting the rings, it is possible to rip the fiber cord out of the foam cushion. Once these rings are cut, the cover will come right off.
    Easy!

Recovering:
    Instead of buying hogring pliers, I opted to go easy. I used zip ties. Here's a shot of the cushion with all the zip ties inserted-

That large black thing is the passenger seat sensor. The sensor module dangles over the edge at the front of the seat.
    Installing the cover is as easy as can be. Just loop each zip tie through the appropriate spot on the cover, and tighten it. Just make sure the "head" of the zip tie is down in the foam. If you leave it on top, it will eventually wear through the seat cover.

The seat back, as well as the rear seat, uses the same process of hog rings to secure the covers.

Coming next:
    Part 3: Modding a seat cover to fit a side airbag.
    Last edited by FentonDude; 10-27-2016, 12:32 PM.
    My progression page Clicky
Working...
X