Help buying a "new" car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help buying a "new" car

Well, fellow G6'ers i'm young and out on my own. Iv'e drove my handed down 2005 3.5L G6 GT since I was 16 and now I have the means to purchase my own car. Yes The G6 was a great car. Still is with only 60 some miles on it, but I want my own car that I chose that I purchased in my own name. I'd also like to return the car to the rightful owner, my parents. I can't take out a loan because I have 0 credit but with some math and help from others I came up that I can comfortably afford a car that's around $5,000-$7,000. Yes, the G6 would probably be more reliable, Yes the G6 would save me money. I love cars and the G6 is just not what i'm into. I'm looking for a manual more sport oriented car such as an older 3 series or a Z. Maybe a G35 or Mx-5. I realize that these nicer cars for 5-7 G's are bound to have some problems but my buddies are both auto-mechanics and have all the experience and tools needed to help me fix anything that's not too major for a reasonable price. So now you know the story. Iv'e never purchased a car before and I need to know wheres the best place to look. Craigslist? Auto Trader? Used car lot or a certified dealer. I have no past car buying experience so if someone would like to share with me their wisdom that would help me so-so much.

Re: Help buying a "new" car

Well if your gunning for a z i wouldn't bother with a dealership. You might find an earlier model at a stealership for 5k. Ive seen them pop up on craigslist regularly at 5-7k and usually with some toys already on them. They are known to be somewhat problematic but nothing to serious you should be safe as long as you take a mechanic with you who knows them. Another great option would be an integra but id steer clear of any of them that look shotty or pieced together. In your price range you could easily get a nice one thats either done right or unmolested with low miles. The 5 spd integras are known to lose the shift syncros. But they have a ton of support for any direction you want to go and picking one up for 2-3k leaves you plenty of money to buy some high quality extras.

Comment

Get you a 5sp turbo balt for around 9k, 5spd supercharged balt for around 5-7k, Saturn ion redline, rx8, might be able to find older rx7, 300zx, acura integra, list goes on. Could find a nice 00-04 mustang gt 5spd for that price.

Comment

I made this mistake before. I was 19 and wanted something fast, so I got a turbo AWD DSM. My advice is, whatever you end up finding, check your insurance rates on it before you buy. Even with your parents as the primary driver and you as the secondary, you're gonna spend more money than you realize.

Comment

You could also look into the Lexus SC series. 2JZ straight six in the SC300, and v8 in the SC400. Lots of them can be had for 3-5G, I recently saw a twin-turbo Swap, very clean, going for 8800. Nice rides stock, and massive amounts of aftermarket support for upgrading as wild as you want to go.
          My progression page Clicky

Comment

Haha slowsedan not laughing at you just remembering what happened to a buddy of mine couple months back. It was always cheaper for him to go through his parents for insurance (longer than he should have). Anyway had all this cash saved up and such and wanted something really BA so he called this guy about a 350z got his money out for it and told the guy he would come buy it right away. Called his insurance company on the way and they just straight out told him no.

Comment

Originally posted by Drakon543 View Post
              Haha slowsedan not laughing at you just remembering what happened to a buddy of mine couple months back. It was always cheaper for him to go through his parents for insurance (longer than he should have). Anyway had all this cash saved up and such and wanted something really BA so he called this guy about a 350z got his money out for it and told the guy he would come buy it right away. Called his insurance company on the way and they just straight out told him no.
              Yeah, it was ridiculous. It was well over $1500 every 6 months for full coverage. Not exactly chump change especially for a kid working part time at a video store in 2003.

Comment

Working...
              X