Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seat Frame replacement, should I make a How-To?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat Frame replacement, should I make a How-To?

I picked up a complete leather interior from the local Pick-N-Pull for $100.00
    The frames on the front seats are trashed. A couple welds are busted, and the wiring was chopped up from whomever installed the leather in the junker trying to splice wiring.
    Plus, my 9.5 has side airbags in the seats. These seats have no airbags.
    So, I'm going to pull the cloth cushions and skins off my seats, and put the leather on my seat frames.
    My question is this- Do you guys want me to make a how-to for removing and replacing the cushions and modding the leather seat for the side airbags? I've already done the passenger seat, so I can share all the little tricks to getting the seat cushions and skins swapped.
    My progression page Clicky

Re: Seat Frame replacement, should I make a How-To?

Just a question concern here i geuss as im unsure if the leather interior seats ever had airbags on them let alone im also unsure how the seat airbag comes out as ive never looked at it. However with most air bag equipment it was designed to rip or break through whatever it was out behind (dash and head liner). Im concerned in a wreck an airbag trying to pop through leather even if its fake leather would be catastrophic. Rather than poping through the side of the seat as im assuming its placed would more likely explode the whole seat possibly even killing the driver/passenger if wearing a seat belt. It could cause the seat to pop outward squeezing the person in the seat with intense force. Even sitting to close to the steering wheel air bag in the event of a crash could easily break your nose and we've all probably watched the videos of idiots sitting on airbags.

Comment

Originally posted by Drakon543 View Post
      im also unsure how the seat airbag comes out as ive never looked at it.
      The seat-mounted side airbag does not burst through the fabric on the current seat. It has it's own panel that pops off. Putting the leather skin on the airbag frame includes cutting out a section of the leather, so the airbag module is exposed. That would be the "modding the leather seat for the side airbags" bit I mentioned in the OP.
      Last edited by FentonDude; 08-10-2015, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Well i knew it came out the side just not how it came out the side so my bad i was curious there. Outside of that not knowing how it came out of the seat also raised my curiosity about what your concept of modding something entails. As ill probably get dissed for my question its purely in regards to some of the stuff ive seen called "modded" is half ass crap that should have been left to a professional. I am interested in seeing a how to write up myself just for the extra information i can learn from it. I await your write up.

Comment

I understand your opinion regarding modding. Since I put in the effort to get a leather interior I promise my mods won't include hot glue or duct tape. LOL.

Comment

Cut a hole and use twine to tie the airbag in place . Cant wait to see the finished product.

Comment

Originally posted by FentonDude View Post
              I picked up a complete leather interior from the local Pick-N-Pull for $100.00
              The frames on the front seats are trashed. A couple welds are busted, and the wiring was chopped up from whomever installed the leather in the junker trying to splice wiring.
              Plus, my 9.5 has side airbags in the seats. These seats have no airbags.
              So, I'm going to pull the cloth cushions and skins off my seats, and put the leather on my seat frames.
              My question is this- Do you guys want me to make a how-to for removing and replacing the cushions and modding the leather seat for the side airbags? I've already done the passenger seat, so I can share all the little tricks to getting the seat cushions and skins swapped.
              I am wanting a how-to for this please, cause I need to take my stock seat covers off. Got to clean them and stitch a badge on them.

Comment

sure, make one. It will help someone out.
                2007 Pontiac G6 3.5L V6 | 1998 BMW Z3 Dinan

Comment

Cool, I'll get on it this weekend.
                  I'm juggling this project and prepping a set of struts for my Koni/eibach upgrade.

Comment

I've started posting the how-to.
                    I have one for removing a seat, and removing the cushions,

And a second one for removing and replacing the covers

I'll have the third part up for modding to fit an airbag soon.

Comment

Stay safe when messing. With the airbag. Seems you are, but be careful bud. I might try this this weekend? I got me a few automotive tasks ahead of this one.

Comment

Working...
                      X