Getting kinda crazy over here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting kinda crazy over here!

Okay, so I have been toying with the idea to install a universal Stage 1 turbo kit on my XE. I know I know, why bother right, it's not he 3.6L, well I say to the nay-sayers, why not! Before I put one on, which with enough time and thought I will be able to do myself since I am a fabricator, my question is what other parts outside of the turbo system do I need to possibly make changes to, i.e. camshaft, valves, etc? I can fabricate I just don't know a whole bunch about doing this in the right way to make sure I don't blow the engine. Any advice, other than not to do it, or tips or links to sites that might help would be greatly appreciated! TIA

Well I don't know what you already have done, but you will have to put some money into it, you also have the huge issue of trany, pretty much why I haven't done it, our trany's are crap, but Milzy and I think zzp? Maybe has HD trany's but the are about 1200-1600 bucks maybe more depending on what you do, Milzy has cams and valves for the 3.5, also you would have to talk to Chris or somebody to get yourself a tune, really man there is a lot involved for you to get the potential even from a stage 1 turbo, but this is my opinion, maybe you get away with just bolting on the kit and doing nothing else, it's just you prob won't get that much of a boost.
    I live my life a quarter mile at a time. For those 16 seconds or less... I'm telling my g6... Go faster!!!

Progression Page
    http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...t=26265&page=1

Comment

Re: Getting kinda crazy over here!

Which engine do you have?
      What goals are you looking for?

Comment

As Newellzie said, the weakest point is the transmission. I say you MUST do something to make it stronger, or else I'm scared it won't handle the extra power. A transmission oil cooler could help a little, but won't be enough. Anything than that, the engine should be able to handle the turbo system up to 10-12 psi, but no more. Else the internals won't be strong enough for a long term uses. Other than these, fuel injectors and a fuel pump are pretty a must for a good improve. The last thing a would add is a custom exhaust line for your engine to breath better.

Comment

Here is the links to the trany's, ZZP is more pricy than I had originally thought.

this is for the 4 speed however if you would be going through the trouble idk if it can be done, but maybe look into the 6 speed. there is HD 6 speeds too.

and here are the cams

you would have to talk to milzy but I'm pretty sure he can do heads and valves for your 3.5 LZ4, he can for the LX9

mind you once you do all this you could run more than a stage 1 turbo LOL, but any kind of trany work is a must
          I live my life a quarter mile at a time. For those 16 seconds or less... I'm telling my g6... Go faster!!!

Progression Page

Comment

Thanks for all the information!

I have the XE 3.5L V6 LZ4.

I just want to get some more HP to the motor, not looking to really do much other than see the look of surprise on people faces when the little blue Aura blows by. I have always wanted to get into sport tuning but have never had the time or actual resources until now. I like the car I just want it to be a little better and since there isn't too many of them out there, or parts for that matter, trying to be unique.

Now my million dollar question, is the 6 speed XR transmission adaptable to the 3.5L or would I have to change to the 3.6L engine as well? I imagine it would just bolt up but just want to make sure. The $2 million question, is there a known manual transmission that fits the Aura? That would be ideal.

Comment

ooops double posted

Comment

The Manuel that might bolt up would be the F-40 there is some support for that Manuel but a lot complain about it, the 6 speed auto that they run in the gxp' would be more ideal. But it is something to look into. Idk about a XR trany but the auto trany's that might bolt up would be the 6t40 or the 6t70, ideally you want the 70 but idk exactly if either will bolt up and/or if you can get the tunning done for them. Something that other guys on here might know more about. I myself am interested if anyone knows cause I would love to put in a 6t70 trany in my 05 GT if I could
                Last edited by Newellzie; 04-19-2015, 07:06 PM.

Progression Page

Comment

Originally posted by Bcarpenter View Post
                  ooops double posted
                  Also it's the Forum, just when you post online and you use quick reply, when you send it it will put you into full reply and you think you haven't posted but you have, so you can just click what's new and you will see you posted

Progression Page

Comment

The automatics 6T40 and 4T45 has the same bolt pattern, but are totally different transmissions. Search for both on Google image and you will see how different they are. This swap has never been done so far. If you want to try this, you have to know this : The CV axles won't fit. The wheel bearings MIGHT not fit, I am not sure. The TCM won't fit because with the 4T45, it is located somewhere near the PCM while with the 6T40, it is located inside the valve body. The input shaft MIGHT not fit. I searched to find some picture of both input shaft but did'nt found any interesting images to compare. You will likely need a TCM and BCM (Body Control Module) tuned/flash to get the transmission to work properly. For me, I say it is feasable, but it needs money and lots of research to do it.

About a manual transmission, the only option is the 6 speed F40. Again, even if the bolt pattern is the same, the rest won't fit directly. The F40 has been used with the 3.9L Pontiac G6 GTP. And I don't know anyone who has done it so far.

Comment

I know it's always one of those things where people don't want to hear it because they want to be different, but you'd be much better off getting a different car and playing with that. In order to go turbo, you're gonna be looking at $10k to do it right...and that's if you can even get it done right. And if you do, you're not gonna be looking at huge gains, probably 50 peak HP. The 10-12lbs of boost someone mentioned is VERY optimistic. Your average N/A that was never designed with boost in mind will generally only handle 6-8psi before needing bottom end work to compensate for the extra stress.

It sucks to hear, but I would only do this if you have money to burn and having a complete, reliable, quick car isn't your main goal...instead you want to just mess around, be different, and tinker. Otherwise, trade it in on something like a late model GTI. Have the same practicality, better interior, DSG (or manual), and spend $1000 on mods for 250+whp reliably.

Comment

10 psi is very feasable on stock internals.

Comment

To this day, oafter owing my G6 since 2009 and being a memeber since then, why the hell hasn't anyone just bought a 20. LNF motor from a cobalt or kappa platform and swap them? If you want something that is going to be less of a headache, I suggest doing that. The 3.5 motor is a pig, plain and simple. If you want boost you can spent a ton of time and cash on custom fabrication and all that, or buy a motor, swap it out and be done. Then you can toy as much as you want with it
                          Cold air intake, racingline engine mounts, painted engine cover, tinted tail lights, resonator delete, red and black calipers, Flowmaster 50 series, black upper recessed grills,cobalt ss/tc rims, massive audio nano 800w amp, pioneer A series 460W speakers, pioneer double din touch screen headunit and debadge[color=#FF0000][

My Progression:http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...;s+progression
                          JOIN FOREVERPONTIAC.COM...NOW!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by killiger2009 View Post
                            To this day, oafter owing my G6 since 2009 and being a memeber since then, why the hell hasn't anyone just bought a 20. LNF motor from a cobalt or kappa platform and swap them? If you want something that is going to be less of a headache, I suggest doing that. The 3.5 motor is a pig, plain and simple. If you want boost you can spent a ton of time and cash on custom fabrication and all that, or buy a motor, swap it out and be done. Then you can toy as much as you want with it
                            True... And it would be "different" and to be honest a heck of a lot cheaper, you could then put in a Manuel because you would be dealing with dif pcm's and you could prob pick up a engine and trany for like 3 grand
                            Last edited by Newellzie; 04-20-2015, 09:20 AM.

Progression Page

Comment

The thing is it would have been way easier to get a LNF in if he had a 2.4L Aura rather than a 3.5L.

Comment

Working...
                              X