A/C Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C Control

Hey, so I just noticed that a couple of lights went out on the AC center knob. So I started looking around for the light, but had no luck. So I just looked for a new unit. However I found a couple of them and wondered if they were interchangeable. If I'm going to take the control unit out, I might as well try to upgrade it if possible. So anyways a couple of questions.

What is the light that lights up the knob? Not those tiny little yellow ones, the red light? If I can buy this separately I think I will (cheaper).

And are these interchangeable?

(This is the current setup I have) (All pictures are from Google)

This is the unit I think I like more (it's a very close call)

I don't like this one as much as the original, but for future users that might like it and are wondering the same thing I am, will it fit?

As always, any help is always greatly appreciated!

Re: A/C Control

The one you like the most is unfortunately not compatible with your car. That unit would need sensors in the air vents. And the last unit listed is from a generation above our cars so most likely will not work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ah well shooks. That last one did look too high tech. I thought the temperature was just calculated with the temperature of the engine and then the fan speed, with those 2 values it sounds feasible.

I guess I'll stick with the current one. Would you know what bulbs they have? Or can I insert LED's in there? I'm thinking of either getting an used unit and use the bulbs from there, since I know my unit works 100% or just change the bulbs if possible.

Comment

A/C Control

You mean the temp sensor isn't in the unit? What's the little grill thing near the bottom next to the up down arrows for then? Just curious cause I wanted to do this too...

I live my life a quarter mile at a time. For those 16 seconds or less... I'm telling my g6... Go faster!!!

Progression Page
        http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...t=26265&page=1

Comment

I heard that in the automatic climate control cars they have sensors in the vents also. I saw this in a post not to long ago I'll see if I can find it

Comment

The wiring diagrams confirm there are sensors in each vent.
            Also there's a different blower motor and different resistor and the connectors seem different as well. Much more wires on the automatic units.
            It may be possible but it won't be easy.

Comment

A/C Control

Ugh dang I really wanted the auto but w/e not a big deal aha thanks tho for the answers, I might do it if I feel motivated to do a custom thang and if I do I'll post it but I'll be straight up, I prob won't, there's like 5 custom projects on the list already LOL :P, would anyone know if the ground work is even there in an 05 since this came out later, like would I even be able to just change harnesses and add sensors or is there something in the BCM or on the fuse Board that would prevent me?

Last edited by Newellzie; 03-30-2015, 09:48 PM.
              I live my life a quarter mile at a time. For those 16 seconds or less... I'm telling my g6... Go faster!!!

Progression Page
              http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...t=26265&page=1

Comment

These are the LED replacements for the HVAC system you have. Get the 4mm in red (though I like cool white better) and the HVAC controls use 3 bulbs, 1 behind each knob.

In order to get to the HVAC controls, you need to take the bottom half of the dash apart on both sides. It's a bit of a PITA, but not bad overall. This video shows you how to remove the radio and once the radio is removed, the HVAC controls come right out.

Comment

Originally posted by slowsedan View Post
                  These are the LED replacements for the HVAC system you have. Get the 4mm in red (though I like cool white better) and the HVAC controls use 3 bulbs, 1 behind each knob.

In order to get to the HVAC controls, you need to take the bottom half of the dash apart on both sides. It's a bit of a PITA, but not bad overall. This video shows you how to remove the radio and once the radio is removed, the HVAC controls come right out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FVAvU3OBM
                  Ah thank you for that info! I think I'm going to stick with buying a whole unit and taking the lights out. I can probably get one from a junker for like $5-$10 and then I'll have extra replacement lights. Also, how bright are those LEDs compared to the stock lights? Don't want it to look funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Maty View Post
                    Ah thank you for that info! I think I'm going to stick with buying a whole unit and taking the lights out. I can probably get one from a junker for like $5-$10 and then I'll have extra replacement lights. Also, how bright are those LEDs compared to the stock lights? Don't want it to look funny.
                    For $6 you can get LEDs, worth it IMO. The stock bulbs are just incandescent with little red condoms stuck on them. The LEDs I linked are no noticeably brighter than stock. This is mine with the cool white LEDs in the link.

The red on the temp control is just as well lit in person, it just looks dim in pictures. My old phone had a hard time picking up some of my interior lights.
                    Last edited by slowsedan; 04-02-2015, 01:48 PM.

Comment

You can't dim LEDs though unless you have a special circuit attached. What happens if you try though?

Comment

Not sure, I've never tried. I never dim them.

Comment

The cluster lights are LEDs, they should still dim but they may dim at a different rate. The power curve of an led is slightly different than regular bulbs.

Comment

I thought to dim LEDs, you need a PWM circuit or something else (can't remember the 2nd one). But you said the cluster lights are LEDs? Are you 100% sure on this? I'd be amazed if they are, they can be dimmed pretty low. And I doubt a car from '05 would have a special circuit to dim LEDs.

Comment

I can confirm the g6 clusters are illuminated with surface mount LEDs behind the gauge faces.

Comment

Working...
                              X