Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Malibu Seat Bolt-on Upgrade - Has Anyone Tried It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malibu Seat Bolt-on Upgrade - Has Anyone Tried It?

My G6 is about to turn 100,000 miles, and I want to give it a gift... a seat upgrade from the Malibu (or maybe Aura).

It's well documented that our seats were made to look more sporty... but have the worst lumbar support of any Epsilon-platform vehicle.

GTPrix once noted that the Malibu seats were bolt-on. I have a base seat in mine, and I'm seriously considering it. I can get a leather Malibu seat for $150 in good condition today.

One thing I am interested in knowing first is if the Aura seat will bolt on. And also how much the Aura seats (if they do bolt-on) differ from the Malibu.

Then I just have to convince someone to do it... my dealer mechanic's going to think I'm nuts, but I'm going to tell him to go sit in the seat and tell me I'm crazy afterwards.

Anyone know how long it takes to do? Anyone done it successfully?
    My Startup: Console, Inc + ConsoleOS.com
    Cars: 2009.5 Pontiac G6 V6 (FlexFuel 3.5L) || 2003 Nissan Maxima SE || 2008 Saturn SKY Red Line

Mods/Features: UUI Radio, GM Bluetooth Added (Thanks to WAMS), Sport Package, GMPP Major Guard Warranty

Re: Malibu Seat Bolt-on Upgrade - Has Anyone Tried It?

I think normally they should be bolt-on easily. But I can't confirm it. I admit I though about doing this upgrade. You could go with many options :

1- Pontiac G6 GTP seats : http://image2.cpsimg.com/sites/carpa...frontseats.jpg
    2- Pontiac G6 GXP seats (Same than the GTP I guess) : http://image.motortrend.com/f/roadte...ivers_seat.jpg
    3- Saturn Aura XR seats : http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/d/1...rn+aura+21.jpg
    4- Opel Vectra OPC (If you can ever find a set of these) : http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/imag...OPC-3102_3.jpg
    5- Saab 9-3 (2003-2006 MY) : http://www.vandsautodismantlers.com/...8-pf-seats.jpg
    6- Saab 9-3 (2007-2012 MY) : http://static.usnews.rankingsandrevi..._frontseat.jpg
    7- Saab 9-3 Aero : http://www.saabsunited.com/wp-conten...s/IMG_4421.jpg
    8- Cadillac BLS (If you can find these too) : http://www.gminsidenews.com/naias/BLS3.jpg
    9- Chevrolet HHR SS (I have no idea if those fit bolt-on, but...) : http://media.caranddriver.com/images...s-1280x782.jpg

Except the Chevrolet HHR, all those cars were built on the Epsilon-1 platform. I really hope the HHR SS seats fits our cars because they look damn comfortable, damn sporty and damn sexy ! If no, the Saab 9-3 Aero seats would be my second option. And if they don't fit too, then I would go with G6 GTP/GXP ones. The Vectra OPC seats are just perfect ! But only in Europe and probably hard to find and very expensive.

Comment

I'm going to replace all 4 of the seats in my 6 when it gets warmer. Got my new seats out of another junk 6 and they do not have the airbags in the seats like I currently have.

I had to get some pre-made resistors off eBay to plug into the airbag connectors on the floor for the seats, so there's no airbag light on in the dash.

Noticed the seats with the airbags in them are almost an inch thicker then the seats without. So hopefully doing the swap will net a tiny improvement in cabin space for the people who would ride in back.

I did cut some connectors for the airbag seats , for my resistors, off a Malibu in the junkyard. Not only did the front seats from the Malibu look like they would install in a G6.

The back of the Malibu seats looked even thicker than the G6 seats with side airbags. Have no idea if the back seat could be swapped with the Malibu's back seat though.

Comment

Oh ! And I forgot !

10- Chevrolet Malibu 7th generation (They have the advantage to be available in multiple colors and trim) : http://images.newcars.com/images/car...n-Interior.png
        11- Chevrolet Malibu SS 6th generation : http://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/ch..._oem_1_500.jpg

The 11th option : I have a Malibu Maxx SS with those seats. They are not the best ones on the market, but I like them. Comfortable for long ride and a pretty nice support.

And maybe you can also look at all seats made for the 3rd generation W-Body platform (Impala SS/ Monte Carlo SS, LaCrosse Super, Grand Prix GTP/GXP). If you are lucky, those could fit as well.

Comment

I'm going to take a good look at a Saab 9-3 seat and see if that's the right one for the job. My biggest concern would be bolt-on potential, in case Sweden made any platform deviations. It's less than $100 more, and I'm looking to take my G6 to 200k on the odometer... at least.

My second choice is Aura XR or Malibu 7th Gen LTZ.
          Cars: 2009.5 Pontiac G6 V6 (FlexFuel 3.5L) || 2003 Nissan Maxima SE || 2008 Saturn SKY Red Line

Mods/Features: UUI Radio, GM Bluetooth Added (Thanks to WAMS), Sport Package, GMPP Major Guard Warranty

Comment

I want the white stitching and white trim on the Saab 9-3 Aero seats. It is perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by GMManof3 View Post
              I want the white stitching and white trim on the Saab 9-3 Aero seats. It is perfect.
              Unfortunately that configuration, if I recall right, is only on post-GM SAAB seats... making them very, very rare. Or at least, very, very expensive.

There are three revisions to the 9-3 seats... 2003-2007, 2008-2010 with the white/black opposite-color inserts (2010 MY was under Spyker, but no changes were made). 2011-2012 MY had newer seats with white stitching and the pattern in those photos. 2014 MY under NEVS had minor safety improvements... most notably a new headrest that was designed to be safer. Less than 500 of those seats even exist, nearly all of them are sitting on an assembly line (don't ask how I know this).

SAAB re-did the seats under Spyker as an effort to differentiate the 9-3, but limited to the GM parts bin... they didn't have much to differentiate with other than seat and facia designs. I'm amazed they ran out of cash with how little work they did.

But, then again, that was Sweden's biggest problem under GM. GM brass never wanted to chastize Saab for underwork, out of fear of labor law violations. Engineers could practically sit at work all day, do nothing, and were impossible to fire. This is likely why the design concepts were so amazing (I'd kill for a Kappa-based Aero-X today), but the production models were so GM-standard in comparison.
              Last edited by Christopher Price; 02-08-2015, 03:29 AM.

Comment

O.M.G. Just got a quote for that 2011+ Saab 9-3 seat from Saab Parts.

Brace yourself... $2,800.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Price View Post
                  O.M.G. Just got a quote for that 2011+ Saab 9-3 seat from Saab Parts.

Brace yourself... $2,800.
                  Ouch ! Rare you said ! There it goes...

Comment

Originally posted by DelHuge View Post
                    Ouch ! Rare you said ! There it goes...
                    Yeah, and that was just for the driver's seat. I suspect Saab Parts has no ability to make new seats, and is limited to what Spyker had in stock before NEVS took over. So, they probably only have a few hundred seats and are charging a fortune to limit purchases (in other words, keep people from buying them for older/other cars).

Really hate to be the insurance company that has to fix that car. Those 2011-2012 Saabs are going to be totaled out very easily at this kind of pricing. An accident that might normally be $2-3k could cost $10k to fix on one of these!

Comment

Don't get too disappointed now. Here is the front seats out of a Saab 9-3 aero with turbo. Its listed for under 600. In Lincoln Nebraska.

Comment

Thanks, I'm looking for an '08/'09 9-3 seat that's all-black. I've seen them, but they are rarer than the gray-and-white seats.

I also need to check my G6 seat to confirm it's an airbag model. It's supposed to be, but I need to pull the part number and then line that up with the comparable Saab seat. If you have an airbag, you need an airbag Epsilon seat or you'll get an airbag warning.

Does anyone know if automatic seats bolt-on to a manual-seat car? I'm concerned the wiring harness might not be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Price View Post
                          Thanks, I'm looking for an '08/'09 9-3 seat that's all-black. I've seen them, but they are rarer than the gray-and-white seats.

I also need to check my G6 seat to confirm it's an airbag model. It's supposed to be, but I need to pull the part number and then line that up with the comparable Saab seat. If you have an airbag, you need an airbag Epsilon seat or you'll get an airbag warning.

Does anyone know if automatic seats bolt-on to a manual-seat car? I'm concerned the wiring harness might not be there.
                          Look all over your seats, if they have airbags in them, you should find a small label where you can read " SRS Airbags" or "SRS". You can also look under your seats, if there is a harness that goes in them, then I guess they have airbags.

Comment

Originally posted by ZoomThru View Post
                            I'm going to replace all 4 of the seats in my 6 when it gets warmer. Got my new seats out of another junk 6 and they do not have the airbags in the seats like I currently have.

I had to get some pre-made resistors off eBay to plug into the airbag connectors on the floor for the seats, so there's no airbag light on in the dash.

Noticed the seats with the airbags in them are almost an inch thicker then the seats without. So hopefully doing the swap will net a tiny improvement in cabin space for the people who would ride in back.

I did cut some connectors for the airbag seats , for my resistors, off a Malibu in the junkyard. Not only did the front seats from the Malibu look like they would install in a G6.

The back of the Malibu seats looked even thicker than the G6 seats with side airbags. Have no idea if the back seat could be swapped with the Malibu's back seat though.
                            Just an FYI for anyone else who may do this, it is highly illegal to remove the airbags that came with the car from the factory. Should you get into an accident, and another person is hurt/killed, you could be held liable for knowingly removing a safety feature, and your insurance could refuse to pay. Again, this is only if they find out, but probably not worth the risk.
                            2007 Pontiac G6 3.5L V6 | 1998 BMW Z3 Dinan

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyfloyd View Post
                              Just an FYI for anyone else who may do this, it is highly illegal to remove the airbags that came with the car from the factory. Should you get into an accident, and another person is hurt/killed, you could be held liable for knowingly removing a safety feature, and your insurance could refuse to pay. Again, this is only if they find out, but probably not worth the risk.
                              I agree it is better to replace your seats with airbags with seats that also got airbags. Safety first !

Comment

Working...
                              X