Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Malibu Seat Bolt-on Upgrade - Has Anyone Tried It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Malibu Seat Bolt-on Upgrade - Has Anyone Tried It?

If you don't put in an airbag seat, it will trip the airbag computer which does a safety check on the car - the airbag light will then sound on the dash.

So, liability is mitigated there quite a bit. Anyone that buys the car would see plainly that the airbag light is on. Responsibility to fix it (or not) becomes theirs.

Going to have to probe my seat further too. No airbag tag, but I do have airbag inscribed on the ceiling. Side curtain and seat airbags were supposed to go together (if you have one, you have the other). But mine is a 2009.5 fleet order (not rental), so I'll have to go back to the RPO's and possibly check the seat by popping panels.

I have one offer on a 2011 9-3 seat, but unfortunately it's gray-on-gray. The best supply of all-black 9-3 Epsilon leather seats appear to be from the Turbo X.
    Last edited by Christopher Price; 02-13-2015, 02:35 PM.
    My Startup: Console, Inc + ConsoleOS.com
    Cars: 2009.5 Pontiac G6 V6 (FlexFuel 3.5L) || 2003 Nissan Maxima SE || 2008 Saturn SKY Red Line

Mods/Features: UUI Radio, GM Bluetooth Added (Thanks to WAMS), Sport Package, GMPP Major Guard Warranty

Comment

Originally posted by DelHuge View Post
      9- Chevrolet HHR SS (I have no idea if those fit bolt-on, but...) : http://media.caranddriver.com/images...s-1280x782.jpg

Except the Chevrolet HHR, all those cars were built on the Epsilon-1 platform. I really hope the HHR SS seats fits our cars because they look damn comfortable, damn sporty and damn sexy !
      Agreed that those HHR SS seats look great! Wishing that the G6 had options for these types of seats/colors, if that makes sense. I really like the faux-leather seat covers that I have, but would prefer something a bit nicer.
      -- Whatever doesn't kill me, only makes me stronger. --

Comment

Originally posted by philko80 View Post
        Agreed that those HHR SS seats look great! Wishing that the G6 had options for these types of seats/colors, if that makes sense. I really like the faux-leather seat covers that I have, but would prefer something a bit nicer.
        Lol. I just realise it's a Cobalt SS picture.

This is a HHR SS : http://preview.netcarshow.com/Chevro...08-1600-12.jpg

Comment

Okay, well, this is turning out to be more complicated.

Unless you are willing to run a new wiring harness, you probably are stuck with the exact seat spec that your G6 came with. The wires all run into one docking connector that the seat uses. The problem is, that connector has to also supply power and heat (if your donor seat is powered and heated).

Epsilon appears to use a different docking connector (and harness) for both.

So, if you have a manual seat with airbag, you need a donor Epsilon seat that's manual with airbag... or at least, I haven't found an easy way to route all the needed power supplies other than buying a new harness and stripping the car.

I think you can get by with using an airbag seat in a non-airbag car, but obviously not the reverse.

GM appears to only sell the wiring harness as part of a complete kit for the car, making it astronomical to do even if you wanted to.

Which is a shame because I have a perfect 2010 SAAB 9-3 seat located. But my car's a manual seat, and it's a power seat.

This also gives me big concerns about using a Delta seat, unless someone can confirm the connectors are the shared.
          Last edited by Christopher Price; 03-12-2015, 02:18 PM.
          Cars: 2009.5 Pontiac G6 V6 (FlexFuel 3.5L) || 2003 Nissan Maxima SE || 2008 Saturn SKY Red Line

Mods/Features: UUI Radio, GM Bluetooth Added (Thanks to WAMS), Sport Package, GMPP Major Guard Warranty

Comment

If you find the pin out for the seat you want to use, and the connector for your car, you could always get connectors from the junkyard, and make an adapter harness for yours. You might have to run a few wires to the fuse panel to get power and suce, but it might make it work, as long as they physically fit.

When swapping between years and makes, be careful with the airbags because they may have had different specs, and using mis-matched parts could cause them to not function.
            2007 Pontiac G6 3.5L V6 | 1998 BMW Z3 Dinan

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyfloyd View Post
              If you find the pin out for the seat you want to use, and the connector for your car, you could always get connectors from the junkyard, and make an adapter harness for yours. You might have to run a few wires to the fuse panel to get power and suce, but it might make it work, as long as they physically fit.

When swapping between years and makes, be careful with the airbags because they may have had different specs, and using mis-matched parts could cause them to not function.
              It's a bridge too far. The title of this thread is "bolt on"

Making a new harness, just to upgrade the seat, isn't worth it. You're stuck with what seat options your car came with, unless you have 100 hours to spare.

On the bright side, all Epsilon seats appear to share the same airbag array and connectors.

Comment

Thanks for the thread. I put the 03-06MY 9-3 seats in my g6. I wanted to go with the malibu seats, but I have a coupe and I needed both seats to fold forward. The seats fit well, but I had to swap the airbag sensor in the passenger seat in order to get the warning light to go off. The seats are way more comfortable than the stock seat.

Comment

Do you have pictures of them?
                  Did you have heated seats before and do you now?
                  Did you have power seats before and do you now?

Running and making your own wiring harness isn't too hard if you know what you are doing and can source the parts from a junkyard. I've added power seats to non-power cars and have added many options to cars they did not originally come with. Granted, I'm comfortable with that, and I know it's not for everyone.
                  2007 Pontiac G6 3.5L V6 | 1998 BMW Z3 Dinan

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyfloyd View Post
                    Do you have pictures of them?
                    Did you have heated seats before and do you now?
                    Did you have power seats before and do you now?

Running and making your own wiring harness isn't too hard if you know what you are doing and can source the parts from a junkyard. I've added power seats to non-power cars and have added many options to cars they did not originally come with. Granted, I'm comfortable with that, and I know it's not for everyone.

I went from cloth/power/non-heated seats to leather/manual/non-heated seats. I was looking for a heated seat, but driving the car became very uncomfortable and these were the best I could find at the yard. I thought about making a wiring harness so that I wouldn't have to swap the passenger airbag sensor, but it seemed way too involved. The Saab harness was about the size of a brick and I couldn't find a good wiring diagram online. My stock seats weren't equipped with airbags and I didn't want to run the risk of wiring the airbags wrong on the Saab seats.

[IMG]s664.photobucket.com/user/mvmove1/media/seat2_zpsapdn1jiy.jpg.html]
                    Last edited by cheapyg; 11-14-2015, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Could you tell if the airbag wires were a separate connector? My G6 seats have an airbag... so I kinda need it to avoid airbag light hysteria.

There's a 2005 9-3 seat close by (as in, 3 hours round-trip), seriously considering the trek now...

Edit: Found the 9-3 Epsilon seat airbag. It appears to be its own cable, buried under the right side of the seat: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh....php?p=1586680

Now I just need to confirm the G6 has the same connector. Help appreciated as this is the last thing holding me back.

Last edited by Christopher Price; 01-19-2016, 05:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Price View Post
                        Could you tell if the airbag wires were a separate connector? My G6 seats have an airbag... so I kinda need it to avoid airbag light hysteria.
                        The seat airbags do have their own connector. Here's a shot of mine while I was doing a swap.

The important issue is ensuring the wiring and plugs are compatable. I don't have wiring diagrams readily available for this.
                        EDIT:
                        I looked at the thread on the Saab site you linked. The connector you posted is the drivers seat position sensor, not the airbag plug.

if you scroll down to post #14 you will see the actual airbag plug. They are always Yellow.
                        Last edited by FentonDude; 01-22-2016, 12:23 PM.
                        My progression page Clicky

Comment

Working...
                        X