Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new project! paddle shifters in my 2008 G6 GT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new project! paddle shifters in my 2008 G6 GT!

Originally posted by Maty View Post
    That looks awesome, great job!
    Thanks friend. I'm getting used to them now. It a little easier now

Comment

When are you posting a video of your paddles working while driving ? I want to see !

Comment

Originally posted by GMManof3 View Post
        Here is my late night clip to show it works

https://youtu.be/EaAMuowlF6Y
        duuuuude that purple trim is siiiick! were the pieces easy to take off to paint them? and how?
        My Progression
        http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=26268

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus Maximus Kelly View Post
          duuuuude that purple trim is siiiick! were the pieces easy to take off to paint them? and how?
          Actually yes. Its not hard to take off any of our trim. Except the seats trim, that's tough without a diagram. Thanks for the compliment. The steering wheel trim has red metallic flakes in it. I want to paint up more trim that is left unpainted. I plan on lighting up the shifter plate's + and -. Seeing that our car does not light up for some weird reason?

Comment

Originally posted by GMManof3 View Post
            Actually yes. Its not hard to take off any of our trim. Except the seats trim, that's tough without a diagram. Thanks for the compliment. The steering wheel trim has red metallic flakes in it. I want to paint up more trim that is left unpainted. I plan on lighting up the shifter plate's + and -. Seeing that our car does not light up for some weird reason?
            going to do red plastiDip to flip the color scheme compared to the red with black outside
            My Progression
            http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=26268

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus Maximus Kelly View Post
              going to do red plastiDip to flip the color scheme compared to the red with black outside
              I am looking forward to that.

Comment

So I went ahead with my paddle shift project and have some bad news. The Saturn Aura Paddles didn't work, took the car for a ride and it didn't up/down shift in manual mode. I knew this would happen, so I wired the steering wheel with out it being on. I will order 09.5 paddles soon and add it to my progression. I'm going to hang on to the aura steering wheel either way, I'm going to gut it out and put the G6 paddles on it. Thanks for your write up!

AGAIN EVERYONE, AURA/MALIBU PADDLE SHIFTERS WILL NOT WORK. Your'e better off finding 09.5 paddles or a whole complete 09.5 steering wheel.

[IMG][/IMG]
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fastfreddy View Post
                  So I went ahead with my paddle shift project and have some bad news. The Saturn Aura Paddles didn't work, took the car for a ride and it didn't up/down shift in manual mode. I knew this would happen, so I wired the steering wheel with out it being on. I will order 09.5 paddles soon and add it to my progression. I'm going to hang on to the aura steering wheel either way, I'm going to gut it out and put the G6 paddles on it. Thanks for your write up!

AGAIN EVERYONE, AURA/MALIBU PADDLE SHIFTERS WILL NOT WORK. Your'e better off finding 09.5 paddles or a whole complete 09.5 steering wheel.

[IMG][/IMG]
                  Dang man! Grrr, I was hoping that Saturn's would work. I do appreciate the post. Now we all know that Malibu and aura paddles do not work. They g6 paddles cost me 101.00 dollars. It's an AC Delco part by the way. I am looking forward to the rest of The project.

Comment

I see this is an old thread but will add my experience in adding paddle shifters to my 07 GTP.
                    I used the paddle switches, clockspring and steering wheel back trim cover from a Saturn Aura and screwed into place on my stock G6 wheel. Everything fit perfect.
                    As you all know, the proper wiring needs to be in place in the steering wheel and through the clockspring. Since I bought an entire steering column ($100) it came with all the wiring harnesses I needed to swap out in the steering wheel, so I only needed to splice into the purple wire coming out of the back of my clock spring and route it to the purple tap shift wire going to the TCM.
                    Originally when I tapped the purple wire I had NO tap shift, from either the paddles or the console shifter. I had to actually cut the purple wire coming from the console shifter and but splice the wire from my paddles in its place. Now the paddle shifters work, but had to sacrifice the console paddle shift. I shift to manual mode to use the paddles, but the console shifter will no longer function. The paddles are way better to use anyway. The reason the tap shift would not work with the purple wires (paddles and console shifters) spliced together is this throws the resistance reading of the circuit off because of the multiple resistors being in the same circuit.
                    I have wired a relay and switch into this circuit to allow me to choose to use paddle shift or console shift when in manual mode. Just need to flip a switch I mounted in the console by the shifter to switch from "paddles" to "Console shift". Works well and I wanted to have full functionality for when I sell the car no one is confused!

My only problem is my DIC does not display the gear I am in when in manual mode. I installed the 2010 cluster awhile back to retain DIC with an aftermarket radio and the gears have never displayed since. I suspect I need to flash my BCM or Cluster to a newer year to have this ability? It is kind of crappy not knowing what gear you are in when using paddle shift.

Has anyone else ran into the problem of not seeing the current gear in the DIC after doing the cluster swap? Can the dealer do a simple program update to make this work? Again the problem was there before I did the paddle shift update.
                    Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by shawnhauck View Post
                      I see this is an old thread but will add my experience in adding paddle shifters to my 07 GTP.
                      I used the paddle switches, clockspring and steering wheel back trim cover from a Saturn Aura and screwed into place on my stock G6 wheel. Everything fit perfect.
                      As you all know, the proper wiring needs to be in place in the steering wheel and through the clockspring. Since I bought an entire steering column ($100) it came with all the wiring harnesses I needed to swap out in the steering wheel, so I only needed to splice into the purple wire coming out of the back of my clock spring and route it to the purple tap shift wire going to the TCM.
                      Originally when I tapped the purple wire I had NO tap shift, from either the paddles or the console shifter. I had to actually cut the purple wire coming from the console shifter and but splice the wire from my paddles in its place. Now the paddle shifters work, but had to sacrifice the console paddle shift. I shift to manual mode to use the paddles, but the console shifter will no longer function. The paddles are way better to use anyway. The reason the tap shift would not work with the purple wires (paddles and console shifters) spliced together is this throws the resistance reading of the circuit off because of the multiple resistors being in the same circuit.
                      I have wired a relay and switch into this circuit to allow me to choose to use paddle shift or console shift when in manual mode. Just need to flip a switch I mounted in the console by the shifter to switch from "paddles" to "Console shift". Works well and I wanted to have full functionality for when I sell the car no one is confused!

My only problem is my DIC does not display the gear I am in when in manual mode. I installed the 2010 cluster awhile back to retain DIC with an aftermarket radio and the gears have never displayed since. I suspect I need to flash my BCM or Cluster to a newer year to have this ability? It is kind of crappy not knowing what gear you are in when using paddle shift.

Has anyone else ran into the problem of not seeing the current gear in the DIC after doing the cluster swap? Can the dealer do a simple program update to make this work? Again the problem was there before I did the paddle shift update.
                      Thanks for your help!

I read here that you used Saturn paddle shifter setup. Its awesome that you were able to make it work on a G6. I first tried a malibu's paddle setup. I originally got the Malibu steering wheel for the back cover in order to have the access to paddles sticking through. I then went out to my GM dealer and just ordered paddles. I did not need to flash a bcm or anything else. It all worked right away. If you want, get you a pair of G6 GXP paddles from your dealer or rockauto.com. my dealership sold me them for 110.00

Comment

The Saturn steering wheel I got was identical to my G6 except steering wheel DIC and Radio buttons were not backlit red and the switch bezels on either side of the air bag are painted a bright silver instead of the gray/aluminum color my G6 has.
                        So I kept my G6 wheel cause the leather was a bit better. I just changed rear cover so the holes were there for the paddles. Installed paddle shifters, donor harness for switches, donor clockspring, and put all back together.

The paddle shifters look perfect, I do not have reason to believe there is any difference between the Saturn and Pontiac wheel besides the airbag symbol and backlight color of the switches.

Here are finally some pics of the finish install. These paddles are awesome, just wish my DIC would read out the gear I'm in. But like I said, will have to try and find a competent tech at the dealer who will hear me out and try to update the BCM software to try and resolve the DIC issue.

Comment

Originally posted by shawnhauck View Post
                          The Saturn steering wheel I got was identical to my G6 except steering wheel DIC and Radio buttons were not backlit red and the switch bezels on either side of the air bag are painted a bright silver instead of the gray/aluminum color my G6 has.
                          So I kept my G6 wheel cause the leather was a bit better. I just changed rear cover so the holes were there for the paddles. Installed paddle shifters, donor harness for switches, donor clockspring, and put all back together.

The paddle shifters look perfect, I do not have reason to believe there is any difference between the Saturn and Pontiac wheel besides the airbag symbol and backlight color of the switches.

Here are finally some pics of the finish install. These paddles are awesome, just wish my DIC would read out the gear I'm in. But like I said, will have to try and find a competent tech at the dealer who will hear me out and try to update the BCM software to try and resolve the DIC issue.

That's great like I mentioned.

Comment

Now that the forum issue is fixed, I am interested to hear how these are working?

As for the backlight buttons, those buttons could have been swapped with one torx screw from one wheel to the other most likely.

shawnhauck: Did you already have tapshift on the center console? Did you change the clockspring at all?
                            2007 Pontiac G6 3.5L V6 | 1998 BMW Z3 Dinan

Comment

i might do this eventhough the few times ive used the select shift i didn't see the need for it.id always forget to upshift while in traffic.i realize it would be great while racing which i never do.

Comment

These work so well for me. I just put in the 2010 speedometer an I will need a back flash for sure. Away to WAMS I go for that .

Comment

Working...
                                X