Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new project! paddle shifters in my 2008 G6 GT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new project! paddle shifters in my 2008 G6 GT!

Brian has been working in the mountains lately and been up there for the hell of it so he is hard to get ahold of. I was able to text him for a bit about wheels a couple days ago but that was it.. I would say just send him a friend request and send him another message and hop he gets it when he gets back..
    Current Mods: Window Tint 20% except front windshield, Black CCFL Eagle Eyes (Currently being Retrofitted w/ Quad Projectors, RGB Halos, RGB Demon Eyes, LED Turn Signals, Body Color Eyelid), Pioneer front speakers, Polk Audio 6x9, 2 Boss Audio Phantom 12" Subwoofers, Boss Audio Phantom 2600Watt Amplifier, Dual 12" non ported enclosure, GTP Wheels, LED interior and Exterior Conversion, Racingline Strut Tower Bar, Racingline MMI's, Plasti dipped black recessed upper and lower grills, Plasti Dipped black door handles, door trim, fuel door, Decepticon badges in place of GM door badges, 2009.5 Sedan Spoiler, Custom Side Exit Exhaust, GXP Rear Bumper, Canuck Lowering Springs (on their way)

Comment

Originally posted by wizardsrok24 View Post
      Brian has been working in the mountains lately and been up there for the hell of it so he is hard to get ahold of. I was able to text him for a bit about wheels a couple days ago but that was it.. I would say just send him a friend request and send him another message and hop he gets it when he gets back..
      We are friends and just waiting on his reply about this. Thanks for letting me know though. I can wait until he has available time to message about the paddle wiring. I can't wait to hear how it all goes together to make it work. For now, I'm going to see if a local shop can grasp the wiring concept to make the paddles work. Thanks Wizard.

Comment

**Update** so Brian told me that the 2009.5 gxp has paddle shifters. And these paddles have the correct resistors to make the transmission shift. The Malibu ones that I got, do not have the correct resistor values. This is why I could not make it work. So now I have to put correct resistors in the paddles, or just buy the GXP ones. Tomorrow I'm going to see if the GM and Chevy dealership can give me a pricing for these paddles or I will just swap the resistors for The right ones.

Comment

Do you have access to a meter that can measure resistance?
          you can verify what values are in the wheel.
          I thought maybe this could be an issue but I assumed the values were the same just like everything else between the models is.

I know the on-star buttons typically all have the same values across many models.

I found a diagram somewhere the listed the values in the floor shifter tap shift. I can post those later.

Comment

Originally posted by CruisinG6 View Post
            Do you have access to a meter that can measure resistance?
            you can verify what values are in the wheel.
            I thought maybe this could be an issue but I assumed the values were the same just like everything else between the models is.

I know the on-star buttons typically all have the same values across many models.

I found a diagram somewhere the listed the values in the floor shifter tap shift. I can post those later.
            That would be great. I have a multimeter that could help. I'm going to ask the college where I go to, to see if an electrical staff can help me swap the resistors out for the right ones. Thanks cruisin. I also have a new update on that vinyl design.

Comment

I found the same values for the Malibu, and the Aura didn't list values
              I can't seem to find specific steering wheel diagrams either

4.42k 1.5k and 8.25k are your values.

Looks like the TCM always sees a 8.25k resistance, then depending on which button you press it adds the resistance of either button.
              You could be adding too much resistance with the paddle shifters you have, so that 8.25k is way off and the system just doesn't go into manual mode.

Comment

Awesome! I'm going to use this for when I get a hold of the electronic guy in the college to help me out. I'm going to try to see how much the dealership charges me for the gxp paddles. I tried today, but I have to use a vin to find out. Now I'm off to ask Brian

Comment

Damn dealers needed vins.
                  Here's an 09 GXP for sale:
                  Browse the best March 2024 deals on 2009 Pontiac G6 GXP vehicles for sale. Save $2,549 this March on a 2009 Pontiac G6 GXP on CarGurus.

1G2ZM577X84202798

Comment

Originally posted by CruisinG6 View Post
                    Damn dealers needed vins.
                    Here's an 09 GXP for sale:
                    Browse the best March 2024 deals on 2009 Pontiac G6 GXP vehicles for sale. Save $2,549 this March on a 2009 Pontiac G6 GXP on CarGurus.

1G2ZM577X84202798
                    Thanks for that CrusinG6. I'll use it tomorrow

Comment

Just used that gxp vin and had the dealership order me g6 paddles! Yay! I have the photos to show that the dealership charged me 100 bucks for them paddles.

Comment

Well at least they're brand spankin' new!

Comment

True and I will be able to finally have those paddles working. All in all, 183.00 dollars. That's paddles a steering wheel back cover piece and clockspring to handle the paddles. I'm just happy they will be working in a week or two.

Comment

So, couple things:

1) I'm not sure the 4 Speed was ever meant to work with TAPshift. Even with a BCM hack, I'd be a bit weary of holding out those gear shifts. The 4 speed seems to be the least-durable G6 transmission, even though it has the best fuel economy.

2) If you're going to do this mod, and go to all that effort, grab the Corvette 50th Anniversary steering wheel for a couple hundred bucks and deploy that simultaneously. It's Alcantara and amazing. Opel designed it for their OPC cars and the Corvette team ripped it off to salvage the C6's equally-dated wheel.
                            My Startup: Console, Inc + ConsoleOS.com
                            Cars: 2009.5 Pontiac G6 V6 (FlexFuel 3.5L) || 2003 Nissan Maxima SE || 2008 Saturn SKY Red Line

Mods/Features: UUI Radio, GM Bluetooth Added (Thanks to WAMS), Sport Package, GMPP Major Guard Warranty

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Price View Post
                              So, couple things:

1) I'm not sure the 4 Speed was ever meant to work with TAPshift. Even with a BCM hack, I'd be a bit weary of holding out those gear shifts. The 4 speed seems to be the least-durable G6 transmission, even though it has the best fuel economy.

2) If you're going to do this mod, and go to all that effort, grab the Corvette 50th Anniversary steering wheel for a couple hundred bucks and deploy that simultaneously. It's Alcantara and amazing. Opel designed it for their OPC cars and the Corvette team ripped it off to salvage the C6's equally-dated wheel.
                              I'll look at the steering wheel tomorrow. Since my 2008 GT came with the tap shift on the center console that runs in between the driver and passenger, this is easy to tap and hack into. Everything is done, wiring and all. I just have left is the spare g6 steering wheel to wrap In my nice and clean white and carbon fiber steering wheel wrap. Plus, it is going to have a surprise to the spare steering wheel too. I'll leave the photos to she the surprise.

What were you talking about being weary about holding out those gear shifts? I agree, the 4 speed could be better.

Comment

If your G6 has tapshift on the shifter, then it's no problem... the steering controls should work when wired properly.

That said, I think it just puts too much stress on the 4 speed to be taking control away from the computer. While you're technically upshifting less by elongating the duration, you're also shifting at times that are sub-optimal. This may stress the 4 speed more, and may account for a higher failure rate.

Nobody has really isolated why the 4 speed is so unreliable on the G6/Malibu, but it's suspected that the high horsepower of the V6 overloads it. If you tapshift, you're doing shifts at higher RPMs by elongating the upshifts. I suspect that could be making a bad situation worse.

If I was planning on doing any serious tapshifting in a G6, I would only do it on a 6-speed trans. Even if my 4 speed had tapshift, I'd probably abstain from using it.

When my G6 trans does eventually flop, it's getting a 6 speed with a matching TCM.
                                Last edited by Christopher Price; 03-13-2015, 05:44 AM.
                                My Startup: Console, Inc + ConsoleOS.com
                                Cars: 2009.5 Pontiac G6 V6 (FlexFuel 3.5L) || 2003 Nissan Maxima SE || 2008 Saturn SKY Red Line

Mods/Features: UUI Radio, GM Bluetooth Added (Thanks to WAMS), Sport Package, GMPP Major Guard Warranty

Comment

Working...
                                X