Cruisin's Drift RX-8; 3800 SC Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cruisin's Drift RX-8

VR6s are built tough, reliable and unkillable.

Until you do something like putting over 500-600 HP on stock internals.

Comment

500-600 HP starts to put me on borrowed time with the rx8's drive train. I'm not looking to throw a bunch of money at the rear end, axles and drive shaft.

400hp is my goal. Maybe a little more when I crank the boost.

Right now I'm trying to figure out mounting the trans and starter.
      I'm currently waiting on a new oil pan that'll give me more mounting points for the trans.
      Last edited by CruisinG6; 03-10-2015, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CruisinG6 View Post
        500-600 HP starts to put me on borrowed time with the rx8's drive train. I'm not looking to throw a bunch of money at the rear end, axles and drive shaft.

400hp is my goal. Maybe a little more when I crank the boost.

Right now I'm trying to figure out mounting the trans and starter.
        I'm currently waiting on a new oil pan that'll give me more mounting points for the trans.
        Hey, I knew you was'nt looking for that much power.

For how to mount your transmission and starter, you can design an adaptor plate with a CAD software. Or just use a cardboard.

Comment

Someone should help me find a bell housing from a 96-00 Dodge Dakota 2.5l 4cyl

Comment

Someone should help me find a bell housing from a 96-00 Dodge Dakota 2.5l 4cyl
            So it will be a VR6 mated with a Solstice's transmission that use a Dakota transmission's bell housing. Lol.

Comment

Yup
              that particular Dakota has a bell housing that'll fit my trans, but it also fits the GM60 pattern... Yup, the dodge dakota 4 banger has a GM60 bolt pattern...
              The dakota bell housing is also shorter and moves the starter to the other side. So It may work out for me, but it's hard to find!
              Last edited by CruisinG6; 04-28-2015, 04:54 AM.

Comment

So I have that elusive bell housing.
                Now for a change in plans.
                Due to recent health issues I've run into certain financial issues.
                As a result I've decided to change engines and choose something that is already setup for rwd.
                Reason being... This is my first engine swap project and it was a big task. I'd have to make the trans adapter plate. Mod the flywheel, fab the starter mount. Custom build mounts, cooling system routing, oil system routing. Fitting around the damn timing. Probably oil pan mods.
                Then there's the work to boost it.
                Needless to say the cost and time needed would likely make this a few year long project.
                I can't wait that long.

So I've begun to look at other rwd engines that will fit the trans I have.
                A bunch of Toyota engines will fit with a few different bell housings.
                But I've also been looking at some gm engines.
                Since I have a GM60 bell housing I can fit a bunch of them... Including the 3800...

I have the aisin ar5 trans. Which has the same front bolt pattern as Toyota's R154.

Anyone have any other engine suggestions?

Comment

Hey Cruisin ! What's new in your project ? I might get rid of my Malibu but I'm still interested in your RX-8's progression.

How about the engine ? Did you find a replacement to the VR6 ?

How about a Toyota 2.7L inline four ? Or one of GM's Atlas engine (2.9L inline four, 3.7L inline five or 4.2L inline six) ? Nissan's SR20DE, SR20DET or CA18DET ?

Comment

I actually just bought a Jetta to swap my good vr6 into and sell for profit. Only to find the Jetta has minimal timing damage and the engine is usable ha.
                    So once I sell the jetta and my spare engine I can get the engine I want and make progress.

I've decided to go with the supercharged 3800.
                    It'll fit my bell housing and trans. And it has rwd parts available thanks to the Camaro.

Comment

Nice. Have you though of the 3.8L turbo from a Buick Regal GNX ? Maybe it would worth the look at it. Else if you really go with a 3800 Supercherged, will you get off the supercharger and turbo it or keep it supercharged ?

Comment

I want a series 2 3800 sc. They have different internals and lower compression to handle the boost.
                        My plan is to drop it in supercharged for instant fun. Then build a second 3800 on the side for turbo.
                        I've been wanting to go twin turbo but that's still pretty far away to decide.

Eitherway my power goals when turbo'd will be about 400hp

Comment

There is a site that sells a ported version of the series 2 supercharger with upgraded bearings and they have a better pulley wetup for extra boost. With the right parts and tuning ive heard of the series 2 3800 reaching 400hp.

Comment

Originally posted by Drakon543 View Post
                            There is a site that sells a ported version of the series 2 supercharger with upgraded bearings and they have a better pulley wetup for extra boost. With the right parts and tuning ive heard of the series 2 3800 reaching 400hp.
                            Sounds good. I'm wondering, what's the main differences between the SeriesII and the SeriesIII ? Is'nt it better to go with the third generation of the 3800 ?

I don't know much about the 3.8L, just that these have a lot of potential, are made all of cast iron and are pretty reliable.

Comment

I believe the series 3 has slightly weaker rods, smaller injectors, more plastic. It's also got an electronic throttle body and a returnless fuel system.

The series 2 will be easier to come by, cheaper and likely provide good results.

I think the series 3 heads flow better too

Comment

I believe the series 3 has slightly weaker rods, smaller injectors, more plastic. It's also got an electronic throttle body and a returnless fuel system.

The series 2 will be easier to come by, cheaper and likely provide good results.

I think the series 3 heads flow better too
                                The best way would be a series II with the Gen V M90 supercharger off the series III. You need to open up the intake manifold, but it's very easy.

Comment

Working...
                                X