Cruisin's Drift RX-8; 3800 SC Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cruisin's Drift RX-8

So I finally got an engine stand. Brand new from harbor freight for less than $40 after sales and coupons. Gotta love it.

Now I can work a little more easily on the engine, Pulling parts and seeing what I have to work with and where.
    Problem is it's cold as shit here and I don't really feel like doing anything as a result.

Comment

Find an Audi A4 B5 or A6 C5 transmission. Both are available in Quattro with a longitudinal engine. So that means those transmission must be rwd usable. Plus, Audi's transmission are pretty tough and reliable. I'm pretty sure a stock Audi tranny can handle a 300-400 HP with stock internals.

Oh, and A4 B5 and A6 C5 were available with the 2.8 VR6. So I'm sure you can find a bolt-on transmission and find inspiration in these cars (Motor/transmission mounts, cooling system, etc.).
      Last edited by DelHuge; 02-15-2015, 03:31 PM. Reason: Mistake ! Lol !

Comment

There is a guy that makes an adaptor plate to mate it to a quattro trans longitudinally.
        Most of those awd setups use a transversely mounted trans with a power take off to the rear.

Either way I need a strictly rwd transmission and nothing will fit this engine without a plate, I've looked lol
        There's a lot of aftermarket support for the vw as it is and it seems a bit less expensive than Audi parts. Either way I'm sure I'll gain inspiration from both.

A 3.2 vr6 from an Audi would be pretty nice lol

Comment

Here is a guy who fits a VR6 in is 350Z using his stock transmission with an adaptor plate. : http://my350z.com/forum/forced-induc...6-in-350z.html

And here is a company that uses a Toyota 22R transmission with a plate to fit a TDI in a Suzuki Samurai. : http://www.acmeadapters.com/store_engine.php

Those transmission could be good options. I was thinking about it. Why don't you go with a RX-8 trany ? Not enough tough ?

Comment

Yea I found those threads lol, The guy with the 350z also went to put a VR6 in an RX-7 but he planned on using the same trans and plate. I don't know if he followed through on it though.
            The 350z trans is super long, but it's also not cheap.

The RX-8's 6 speed isn't very strong. I believe it's only really rated to ~150 ft-lbs, Rotaries bring on torque slowly, I'm going to be slamming torque through it pretty hard ha.
            There's also a length issue. The motor in the 8 sits behind the front wheels, And so does the trans. So the engine and trans are both pretty short.

Here is a picture of the rx8 6-speed next to a Pontiac Solstice AR5

Both are lined up by shifter.
            The Solstice transmission on the bottom obviously sticks out further, but if you remove the bell housing it's not that far away from the end of the 8's trans.
            I can also bolt different bell housings to the Solstice trans so I can play with spacing and adapter plates.
            The other nice thing about the solstice trans is you can easily modify the rear bracket to move the shifter if need be.

Figuring in cost even brings me solstice transmissions for a better price then most other options I've looked at.

Comment

I was about to suggest this trans.

There are hundreds of possible transmission options for this kind of swap, such as Camaro V6, BMW ( God knows they have plenty of them ), Porsche, some Toyotas, etc.

But I guess the Solstice GXP transmission is one of the most accessible and can handle some nice power numbers.

Comment

The trans used specifically in the solstice apparently has shot peened gears and an extra tray to hold oil on the gears.
                My buddy is using a solstice trans for his swap and that's what got me wanting it.
                Seems bulletproof. He can't find much info from shops because they haven't rebuilt them.

Though I have been reading online the shifter developers issues over time but it might be something I can deal with.

Mid 2007 they added a power plant frame to the solstice so if I find an 07+ trans I'll probably be in pretty darn good shape from then out.

Just need that money flowing in faster haha

Comment

Originally posted by CruisinG6 View Post
                  Just need that money flowing in faster haha
                  Yeah, money. Always money... Wish I had more money to get into project like this.

Comment

Me too, The car found me, and a loan for half to buy it found me as well. I just couldn't turn it down, so now it's here and I'm trying whatever I can to get it done while being unique. Can't skip corners either lol

Comment

Me too, The car found me, and a loan for half to buy it found me as well. I just couldn't turn it down, so now it's here and I'm trying whatever I can to get it done while being unique. Can't skip corners either lol
                      You're on a great start ! Get it to run !

Comment

So I found a thread where a guy mated his VR6 to a W series trans from Toyota to put in his '79 Corolla.
                        That's the same transmission (W5 put in the Celica that I've been working on wit my buddy Chris, They're all over car-part for dirt cheap, but they are old and I'm not sure how strong they are.
                        But for the cost I might just buy a couple and have spares haha

Except one thing I forgot about is the shifter placement, it's further back on a separate bracket in the solstice which probably helps me out better. Hrmmmm
                        Last edited by CruisinG6; 02-17-2015, 01:20 AM.

Comment

So I found a thread where a guy mated his VR6 to a W series trans from Toyota to put in his '79 Corolla.
                          That's the same transmission (W5 put in the Celica that I've been working on wit my buddy Chris, They're all over car-part for dirt cheap, but they are old and I'm not sure how strong they are.
                          But for the cost I might just buy a couple and have spares haha

Except one thing I forgot about is the shifter placement, it's further back on a separate bracket in the solstice which probably helps me out better. Hrmmmm
                          Wikipedia says the W58 was used on the 1998-2005 Lexus IS300 and some Mk3/Mk4 Supras. It is probably well built. Aisin normally makes good units. And I guess it's easy to find parts/shops that can make it stronger while it was used on Toyota's sport cars.

Comment

So Friday morning I drove to Stillwater Minnesota to buy a transmission! 13 hour drive for this baby.

Came from an '08 Pontiac Solstice with 38k miles on the clock. It was involved in a bad accident and totaled out.
                            The yard pulled the shifter and said they didn't have it so I need to get my hands on that... in due time.
                            But now I can start looking at making it fit the VR6

Comment

Took advantage of the nice day and pulled the pan off the VR6
                              Everything looks super clean and well maintained. I pulled a rod cap and took a look at the bearing and crank and I'm very pleased with the results.

Comment

Took advantage of the nice day and pulled the pan off the VR6
                                Everything looks super clean and well maintained. I pulled a rod cap and took a look at the bearing and crank and I'm very pleased with the results.

Wow! Those crank bearing strips! Nice and unworn

Comment

Working...
                                X