Cruisin's Drift RX-8; 3800 SC Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cruisin's Drift RX-8; 3800 SC Swap

So I got the drive shaft done. It's an Isuzu Rodeo 2wd automatic shaft with an RX-7 rear flange to fit my diff.
    The trans flange from the rodeo fits my trans but just needs to be shortened a bit. Not an issue.
    It's a bit long but otherwise should be perfect, It's probably just going to push my shifter forward a little bit,
    But it'll also give me a little more firewall room so I think it'll all work out swimmingly

Comment

Nice !

Comment

Finally made a little bit of progress.
        Made a junkyard run and got a killer deal on some manifolds and extra sensors and coils.
        Came off a Camaro

Last edited by CruisinG6; 12-20-2015, 03:04 AM.

Comment

It says "Image moved or deleted". But that's nice. Can't wait to see future progress. .

Comment

Photobucket really sucks a lot of the time. Looks like the pic is working now. Hopefully.

Another update, Just got the bell housing back from the machine shop. They shaved 0.100" off the trans side and 0.300" from the engine side. Making the bell housing nearly a half inch shorter. This should put my input shaft somewhat into the pilot bearing now and move the clutch further down the splines of the shaft. Hopefully the dowel pins don't need to be shaved down.

Comment

After failing to properly modify my sub frame, in part due to rust, and mostly due to my inexperience and such I decided to get a new front sub frame.
              The replacement frame came from Tennessee with far far less rust. They even included all the bolts that mine didn't want to give up.
              I still couldn't get the drivers side control arm off.

You can clearly see the difference between Chicago area vehicles and Anything south of Illinois haha.

I will cut the factory steering rack mounts off again and likely get someone to step in with drilling and welding so I don't screw this one up. More welding practice for me on scrap!

I also got my clutch and PP and am working at getting the flywheel balanced and driveshaft shortened.

Comment

Finally some updates! Nice to see the project is still on-going.

Comment

Hit some harsh speed bumps but I think I can finally gain some momentum on the project. Working out clutch, master and slave cylinder issues now with the help of a good friend.

Still need to finish up the subframe for the steering rack so I can mount that and figure out the steering shaft.

Once the car steers again I'll likely get to deleting the ABS and adding a proportioning valve. I'll also have the drive line parts out for balancing and such hopefully around the same time.

Comment

Since you plan on making it a drift car are you going to modify the steering so the car has more steering angle?

Comment

At first I just plan to make it work. After I decide there isn't enough angle I'll probably modify it

Comment

Got the brackets on the frame cut off and ground away. Hit it with some flat black just to stop any rust before I can move on.

I got some assistance from a buddy on drilling the mounts for the rack this time. Still in the processes of welding that up and getting it all settled.

Flywheel, Clutch and PP have arrived and have been used to get the Slave cylinder spacer figured out.
                        Thanks again to my buddy for getting that one machined for me.

Clutch is a "Stage 3" 6 puck sprung copper ceramic with a PP capable of holding 375 ft-lbs, so the seller says.

Here's part of the Dakota bell housing, with the solstice trans and the Colorado slave cylinder and of course that pretty spacer.

I also have the Wilwood 3/4" bore master cylinder which pairs perfect with the slave and stage 3 clutch.

And I have the Wilwood proportioning block so I can delete the ABS and get my braking system situated.

So far I'm focusing on finishing up the steering and brakes so I can move the car around again, then work on another test fit to see where the exhaust and engine mounts can go

Comment

These are some nice parts you got there. Do it right once. Thumbs up!

Comment

Boy what a difference 15 minutes and an experienced teacher do to my welding skills. haha
                            Just some test weld of tubes into exhaust pipe adapters to get ready for welding the frame.

Thanks again to my buddy for the welding tips and helping me get the steering rack situated. It's nice having someone there to confirm my thoughts or tell me how wrong I am haha.

Anyways we got the tubes mounted and welded along with the stop washers for the rack.
                            Just gonna box in the front side of the tubes with some pipe sections to make it a little cleaner looking and help give it a little more strength, though I doubt it's really needed.

Comment

I got the washers backed and encased with some exhaust tubing.

For the top I made cardboard templates using the tube from a paper towel roll, then shaped everything on a bench grinder for as close a fit as I can get.

I almost went with getting these welds tigged so it would be all nice and pretty looking. But at this point I just want to get it going and get it done. This car has no room for pretty stuffs haha.

Once the primer has a good chance to dry I'll get some black paint on it and get it up back in the car so I can get the tie rods and steering shaft sorted out.

Comment

Originally posted by CruisinG6 View Post
                                I almost went with getting these welds tigged so it would be all nice and pretty looking. But at this point I just want to get it going and get it done. This car has no room for pretty stuffs haha.
                                That's only a few details. You won't see them anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X