Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which engine(s) would you like to see reborn ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which engine(s) would you like to see reborn ?

So, I saw this kind of thread on another forum a little while ago. The question is simple : Which engine would you like to see coming back with today's technologies ? One simple rule : The engine you name must be discontinued.

For my part, I'll start with the best ones : GM LZ4 and LZ9 engine from the High Value family. Can you imagine what those engine would have be with direct injection and high compression ratio ?

I'll also add the Oldsmobile Quad4, W41 version. Sure, it was'nt reliable at all. But it has 190HP into the 1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais Quad 442 ! For a 2.3L 4 cylinder, that was some much power ! Using today's VVT and direct injection technologies, goodbye Honda !

I'll keep other ideas for later. Now your turn !

EDIT : You can name any engine from any car engine manufacturer !
    Last edited by DelHuge; 09-29-2014, 09:40 AM. Reason: Add a specification.

Re: Which engine(s) would you like to see reborn ?

Lotus LT4
    Chris White
    http://www.GTOShiftLight.com
    2006 Spice Red GTO - Stock
    2012 CTS-V 1 of 57 Custom IPC/BCM/Radio Corsa/LPE CAI
    2012 Cherokee SRT8 - Stockish
    2013 SRX - Custom IPC, BCM and CUE
    2013 XTS Platinum - Custom IPC

Comment

Hey guys trying to get a little knowledge before I decide to tackle this project. I want to do the Ls4 swap in my 09 g6gt. Has anyone heard of it done yet. I'm curious on how the harness will work or if it will at all any knowledge and advice is appriciated greatly.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbate View Post
        Hey guys trying to get a little knowledge before I decide to tackle this project. I want to do the Ls4 swap in my 09 g6gt. Has anyone heard of it done yet. I'm curious on how the harness will work or if it will at all any knowledge and advice is appriciated greatly.
        This isnt really the thread for this youd be better making your own thread but from what iv read it wouldnt fit. A lot of people say the supercharged 3800 would fit though if you wanna go that route.

Comment

I had never heard of that swap in a G6. I don't know if there would be enough space in the engine bay to fit it without heavy frame modification. About harness compatibility, I have no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by GTPprix View Post
            Lotus LT4
            Was'nt the LT5 designed by Lotus for the Corvette ZR-1 ?

Comment

Yup lt5 I totally derped on the typo lol
              Chris White
              http://www.GTOShiftLight.com
              2006 Spice Red GTO - Stock
              2012 CTS-V 1 of 57 Custom IPC/BCM/Radio Corsa/LPE CAI
              2012 Cherokee SRT8 - Stockish
              2013 SRX - Custom IPC, BCM and CUE
              2013 XTS Platinum - Custom IPC

Comment

Ok thanks guys

Comment

Doubt it. GM had a hard time fitting the LS4 into the larger engine bays of the W-bodies...switching the intake the opposite way and massaging the accessories.

Originally posted by Siloge View Post
                  This isnt really the thread for this youd be better making your own thread but from what iv read it wouldnt fit. A lot of people say the supercharged 3800 would fit though if you wanna go that route.
                  An L67/L32 would be a cool swap, but might not fit either. Those a good sized engines being 90 degree V6's. Not the 60 degree ones our cars came with. They sounds like butt, too.

Comment

That's what I was afraid of probably why no one has done it yet..thanks again..

Comment

It's sad that GM stopped the production of the complete Northstar family. The 4.0, 4.6, 4.4 Supercharged and even the 3.5 Shortnorth (shortstar). A direct injection 4.4 supercharged would have been sick !

Comment

I have to agree with Delhuge, the Quad 4 would be interesting. Also the LB1/LB4 4.3l vortec engine. It had low end torque and common parts with the 305/350s

Comment

Originally posted by merlinx454 View Post
                          I have to agree delhuge, the Quad 4 would be interesting. Also the LB1/LB4 4.3l vortec engine. It had low end torque and common parts with the 305/350s
                          Yeah, the 4.3 was a small block with two cylinders chopped off.

I would like to see a DOHC version of the Jeep 4.0 I6. Still keep it geared towards the torquey engine it was, but better than 190hp and 14mpgs.

Comment

Originally posted by slowsedan View Post
                            I would like to see a DOHC version of the Jeep 4.0 I6. Still keep it geared towards the torquey engine it was, but better than 190hp and 14mpgs.
                            But it likes fuel ! Lol, I must say that these were impressively reliable engines. There are so many I6 that were awsome ! Toyota's 1JZ and 2JZ, Nissan's RB26, BMW's S54... Wish they could bring back those mechanic beauties !

Some I5 like Audi's 2.2L and Honda's 2.5L (In the Vigor) had some incredible sound and potential's too !

Comment

It has been a while in here ! So I keep going with the addition of Volkswagen 1.8L 16V, 2.0L 16V and 1.8T 20V. With a good set up, any of these can smoke powerful stock cars.

The VR5 was also impressive. It was a weird engine too. 5 cylinders in a V disposition ?! Really ?! Yup !

All engine used in the Porsche 944, three inline 4 cylinders, with 2.5L, 2.7L and 3.0L. This last one is pretty big for a 4 cylinder !

And finally, the Porsche Carrera GT's 5.7L V10. Just the sound of it... It means everything !
                              Last edited by DelHuge; 01-15-2015, 02:59 PM. Reason: Lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X