Oil Catch Can is my upcoming mod...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Catch Can is my upcoming mod...

I have been eyeing this concept of how the oil goes right back into the intake on our car. I have identified two places that the oil could enter the intake tube(the long plastic tube that goes from the Mass Air Flow Sensor) and the intake manifold from my valve covers. I plan on getting me a oil catch can to catch just this, the oil that gets blown by. I like the Moroso, but I don't care for the price. I have thought about buying this 20 dollar catch can and said, "Why not." So here are the two places that I would run the can to and from the intake. Now, every little bit helps right. I also read that it just gets burned up as it goes into the cylinders. But, what do you all think? I just wish I had did this when I had the car since 22K miles.
    *Update* It is a oil/air separator and not an oil catch can now.

I took three photos to show where they start and feed into. I hope these help in locating the same ones on your 08 3.5 Ltr VVT GT V6

This is the photo taken of the engine from the front of the car.

This and the next one, are taken from the side of the car.

Thanks to Shibby and his suggestion. This would be what I was thinking of getting and not the universal catch can I posted about. Sorry for not keeping the photo of that universal up, I did not think it would matter.

*update* this is cheaper and its a Steeda. I am going to use this and if it does not work out, im going with the Mann-Hummel, which was a little over a hundred.
    Last edited by GMManof3; 09-15-2014, 07:15 PM.

Re: Oil Catch Can is my upcoming mod...

Here is a thought, im going to unlatch the intake tube from the throttle body and check out the throttle body(T.B.) and to also look inside the intake manifold to see how dirty it is. I have done this on my 88 ford thunderbird turbocoupe to clean up my T.B.. lets hope we can get some good clear photos, shall we.

Comment

Oh it's definitely dirty. I've cleaned mine a couple times now and it's always coated in black crap. Just open the butterfly and spray it down that way. Taking the throttle body off is a PITA because it has a coolant hard line integrated into it.

Comment

Originally posted by slowsedan View Post
        Oh it's definitely dirty. I've cleaned mine a couple times now and it's always coated in black crap. Just open the butterfly and spray it down that way. Taking the throttle body off is a PITA because it has a coolant hard line integrated into it.
        Cool man! I definately have an idea now thanks to you. Thanks for your time that you took at this hour to reply. Ill get on ittomorrow. I got a busy day of chasing dreams and procrastinating ahead of me tomorrow. Lol!! Did you get yourself a catch can?

Comment

If you put it on you want it in the tube that goes from the front valve covers to behind the throttle body
          Mods: BMD Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs

My Progression

BMD Performance products

Comment

Sure thing! I'll route the tubes from the valve cover to the can and out from the can to the throttlebody's rear. Thanks for the help!

Comment

One more thing Shibby, steel mesh or loufa for the inside of the catch can? Which do you suggest?

Comment

One question, are you really getting so much blow by that you need a catch can or is this more of an appearance thing you're going for?
                1972 F100
                1978 Twinstar
                1992 Miata
                2014 Mustang

Comment

It Is to limit any oil in there. I know if I had a turbo I would really need this on there. I never thought of it as appearance at all. I really am going for the purpose to keep any oil amount from going back into my intake. Thanks for the question. Do you have one, JJT*90?

Comment

I don't. I just run healthy engines with very little blow by and have no use for one.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
                    1972 F100
                    1978 Twinstar
                    1992 Miata
                    2014 Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by JJT*90 View Post
                      I don't. I just run healthy engines with very little blow by and have no use for one.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
                      What do you do to have a healthy engine? Are referencing to proper maintenance intervals?

Comment

Originally posted by GMManof3 View Post
                        One more thing Shibby, steel mesh or loufa for the inside of the catch can? Which do you suggest?
                        Neither really, both are what cheap Ebay ones use. If you want the real deal you would wanna get an air/oil separator that they use on turbo diesel, but they cost $$$
                        Mods: BMD Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs

My Progression

BMD Performance products

Comment

You guys are lucky.
                          There's no option for a catch can on the 2.4
                          ...unless I modify the hell out of my intake manifold...

Comment

Originally posted by theshibbykumquat View Post
                            Neither really, both are what cheap Ebay ones use. If you want the real deal you would wanna get an air/oil separator that they use on turbo diesel, but they cost $$$
                            I wonder if I can make one similar to one. Would I really need to make that one or just the catch can ?

Comment

Originally posted by CruisinG6 View Post
                              You guys are lucky.
                              There's no option for a catch can on the 2.4
                              ...unless I modify the hell out of my intake manifold...
                              Isn't there a tube that comes from the top of the valve cover to the intake? Or is that the fresh air inlet?

Originally posted by GMManof3 View Post
                              I wonder if I can make one similar to one. Would I really need to make that one or just the catch can ?
                              Look at a Mann Hummel Provent 200, they're the real deal from diesels and are only like $120. Pretty sure those crappy Ebay Moroso units cost similar, but a real one will work a whole lot better...

My Progression

BMD Performance products

Comment

Working...
                              X