HELP! Trying to Wire DIC to Glove Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Trying to Wire DIC to Glove Box

Hey guys need serious wiring help. No idea what im doing. I bought the metra kit for a single din and i want to wire it up so that i have the info center. I know people have done this but I cant find any photos or info on how. I used wire taps on the wires i thought needed to be spliced in then connected them to the wires of matching color on the harness coming out of my new double din radio...nothing happened. so im at a loss of how to wire it up. i disconnected everything and want to start from scratch. here some photos of the mess.

Here is the back of the DIC with the harness that was included. (those blue plastic clips are the wire taps im using)

Here is what im trying to connect it to. (all of this work was done by a local audio place, sketchy place but the radio works eve tho it looks a mess)
    Also all wiring in the photo is untouched by me, so its a clean slate from what i attempted before

any help would be great, i don't wanna put together my interior with out figuring this out. so stressed.
    Flickr-https://www.flickr.com/photos/a_second_helping/

Mods: Brembo Front Calipers Powder Coated Red-Drilled/Slotted Rotors- H&R 5mm Spacers- 18x8 TSW Jarama Wheels- Injen CAI- CRABS Heat Shield- OBX Catback Exhaust- Racingline Strut Bar- KYB Struts/Shocks- Eibach Lowering Springs- Black Eagle Eye Headlamps- DDM 5000k HID lows/fogs-Painted Side View Mirror Covers- All Polk Audio Speakers- Pioneer DoubleDin w/ DIC relocation to glovebox- Carbon Fiber Roof Spoiler- Redline Hood Lifts

Re: HELP! Trying to Wire DIC to Glove Box

What are those white things all over your harness in the last picture?

Are you sure those wire taps are actually piercing the insulation and making the connection? It's literally just colour matching the wires and connecting them together to make it work, so I would be willing to bet the issue had to do with the connectors. I would recommend just soldering your wires and not using them.

What are those black wires going to connect to?

This was what my harness looked like after I extended it to reach the glovebox:

The left side should have been much shorter. It was a pain to work with with the length I made it. But you can see how the plugs that connect to the car are right by each other and the ones going to the DIC are far from them, that's what you need to do with yours.

The wires I did not connect with the Metra harness were the Audio Interrupt In, Power Antenna and Remote Turn On wires.
    Last edited by Dmanj; 05-11-2014, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Those black wires are the extensions coming off the original color wires to reach from my glove box to where ever they are supposed to go. Those white caps are wires splices that connected the wires coming out of the radio to the wires out of the connecter that plugs into the harness coming out of the car lol super confusing i know. Thats why i couldn't install the double din myself. It's looking like i cant do this myself either. It think because of the way my double din is set up, im all confused. Do i want to plug the harness into the DIC then splice the wires from my double din into that? or splice in the wires from my DIC into the double din wires. ugh so confused still. im trying to compare yours to mine.

Mods: Brembo Front Calipers Powder Coated Red-Drilled/Slotted Rotors- H&R 5mm Spacers- 18x8 TSW Jarama Wheels- Injen CAI- CRABS Heat Shield- OBX Catback Exhaust- Racingline Strut Bar- KYB Struts/Shocks- Eibach Lowering Springs- Black Eagle Eye Headlamps- DDM 5000k HID lows/fogs-Painted Side View Mirror Covers- All Polk Audio Speakers- Pioneer DoubleDin w/ DIC relocation to glovebox- Carbon Fiber Roof Spoiler- Redline Hood Lifts

Comment

also that red wire is a power source wire that is tapped into my wire for my radar detector. The radar detector wire is just ghettoly wrapped around a fuse prong and shuved in my fuze box. how does that make sense, why isnt power being taken from the harness coming out of my car made for the radio. oh boy

Comment

Comment

It's going to be tough comparing yours to mine since mine is all wrapped up.

Right now you have something like this:

minus the thing at the bottom.

Where the green box is, is where your white plastic connector things are.

You need to start by removing those connectors and separating the 2 wiring harnesses. Get rid of the one that plugs into the car, you dont need it. All you need is the one that plugs into the radio. On that harness you will have several wires. At a minimum, there should be a yellow, red, black, green, green/black, grey, grey/black, purple, purple/black, white, white/black, blue/white. Probably also a blue wire and a orange wire as well. The yellow is the 12V constant, red is switched ignition, black is ground, the blue/white is the remote turn on, the rest in the first list are your speaker wires.

Once you have the harnesses separated, you simply take the radio harness and match the colours to the colours on the metra harness. In your pictures the the wires from the harness that plugs into the radio will be connected to the wires with the comment "dont know what these do or go to." But, if you do that, you will run into the issue of the metra not reaching the glove box.

You need to get these plugs:

far from these plugs:

which means you need to cut the wires that connect them together and extend them.

If any of that doesn't make sense let me know which parts and I will try to clarify. I would completely unplug your radio and just plug the metra in on its own to see how everything is connected to the car. That should clear some things up on what needs to be extended.

Comment

ohhhhh okokok i think i understand what you are saying. I am going to get rid of the taps on my DIC that i have cause that's completely wrong. Then all i need to do is take thoes white caps off so that my radio is not connected to anything anymore. then take the "dont know what these do or go to" wires and match them up with the ones coming out of my radio. So really i don't have to tap into anything on the DIC wires, i just use the ones that arent connected to any plug and splice them with the ones coming out of my radio. The like you said it will just be too short, for me to put the DIC in my glove box so ill have to lengthen the wires that are for the DIC connector. i think i got it. Im at work now and wont be home till way later but I am going to try this. I am determined lol

Comment

Sounds like you got it now.

Comment

I need closure! Did this happen??

Comment

Working...
                  X