Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tried the road less traveled for brakes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tried the road less traveled for brakes.

it just so happens i have a brembo set up in my room and the rotors are 12.5 across.

whoops spoiler alert
    Last edited by becksmerc; 09-26-2014, 06:34 PM.
    Get out the way!

to many things to list and also change my mind way to much to actually tell people lol

Comment

Here's what Autozone told me.

G6 = 11.65"
      9-5 = 12.12"
      Brembo = 12.42"

Doesn't seem like much. But the brembo calipers are way better.
      ID is also something to check...

Comment

Id rather have the brembos than the 9-5 but i dont want to have to deal with only being able to use the spare on the back if the fronts happen to pop. If im on the side of the road id rather not have to swap them around. I wonder if there is a way to do the 9-5 without permanent modification.

Comment

I'd like the Brembos just for show factor and the 4 pot calipers.
          But considering cost and wheel options the 9-5 setup is a good intermediate option IMO
          Last edited by CruisinG6; 10-28-2017, 04:02 PM.

Comment

found these, I think its front and rear rotors (picture doesnt so correct rotor. shows 4 lug not 5 lug)
            Front
            Rear

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
            Originally posted by ahuhn
            so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

In respone to the having to drill the spindles. The saab guys are running a sleve when they run the brembo setup. It can be done to reverse the process back to 12 mm from 14mm bolts. The spindle was alot easier to drill then you may think. I have had really good luck so far. The brakes are wearing very evenly and slowly. No pulsation. It is not a faint of heart mod. Drilling the spindle is a bit stressful. I have yet to throw the spare on this setup. I would think it would not be a problem. The only odd thing i noticed is that the wheels sit in closer to the body a hair. The hub of the rotor is a few mm thinner then factory. It does not change any of the cars dynamics just a visual difference.
              Die Hard Buick Guy.
              Current wheels
              08 Saturn Aura Xe
              K & N drop in filter, intake resonator removed, 08 Saab 95 12.1 inch rotors and larger pads.

Comment

What size wheels are you running? I am wondering if I would have to go to a 17" to fit.

Comment

I currently have a set of 17s from a sky roadster on the car now. They fit just fine. The stock steel wheels fit with even more room then the sky wheels. As far as a spare i have not tried it. Not sure but i would think it would be ok.
                  Die Hard Buick Guy.
                  Current wheels
                  08 Saturn Aura Xe
                  K & N drop in filter, intake resonator removed, 08 Saab 95 12.1 inch rotors and larger pads.

Comment

what years saab 95?theres a 1999 in a local junk yard.

Comment

I used the brakes from the front of an 2007 - 2008 Saab 9-5. It requires Saab bracket bolts. As far as brakes are concerned you can get everything new probably in the range of 250 to 300 out of rock auto. I run a local auto part store so i get good pricing.
                      Die Hard Buick Guy.
                      Current wheels
                      08 Saturn Aura Xe

Comment

Originally posted by trishieldfan View Post
                        I used the brakes from the front of an 2007 - 2008 Saab 9-5. It requires Saab bracket bolts. As far as brakes are concerned you can get everything new probably in the range of 250 to 300 out of rock auto. I run a local auto part store so i get good pricing.
                        i was hoping to score the setup out of a junkyard car and just have the rotors turned.its the same year as my car so im assuming they should be usable.even if i need rebuilt calipers i would need cores.before id buy it all new id save up for the brembo brakes.thanks for the instructions.
                        Last edited by zenish; 02-20-2017, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Finally reached the end of life on my front rotors and decided to do the Saab front brake upgrade. Pads rotors and calipers are pretty decently priced.
                          Last edited by CruisinG6; 11-11-2017, 04:44 PM.

Comment

you were leaning toward the brembos post 32.what changed your mind?

Comment

I began a race car project and decided the daily doesn't need something that extravagant. I did the whole Saab upgrade for the same price that new calipers, pads, and rotors would've been for the g6 originally. So regular maintenance I needed anyway was done but with a little upgrade. That includes getting rings machined.
                              Last edited by CruisinG6; 11-15-2017, 01:19 PM.

Comment

For anyone else going this route. Aside from the pads, rotors, calipers and caliper brackets. You will need the following.

9/16" drill bit - to open the holes in the spindle. The aluminum is soft! I used 1/2" then stepped up to 9/16" and it was still a real pain.

4 flange-head bolts.. 14mm x 2.00 thread. 40mm long. I got mine from Ace Hardware.

One problem I noticed is the hub size on the Saab is larger than the g6. This makes it very likely the Saab rotors will sit off-center on the g6 hubs. To combat this I had a local machine shop make two hub-centric rings. Worked perfect. Now the rotors spin true and won't cause vibrations or uneven wear.

The rings are 65.7mm ID (g6 hub size)
                                And 70.0mm OD (Saab hub size)
                                Last edited by CruisinG6; 11-14-2017, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X