The new recall for Malibu/Aura/G6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new recall for Malibu/Aura/G6

has anybody heard of the new recall that they're doing on these 3 vehicles? It just seems like it's kinda the same one that they did 3 years ago and also is it going to be replaced by the hydraulic setup? http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/n...-steering.html
    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...mageID=1623464

Re: The new recall for Malibu/Aura/G6

I was reading about this earlier today as well. I have an '06, but haven't had any problems with it at all so far, in regards to power steering and all. If I remember the letter I got a couple of years back, it advised that I only bring my vehicle in if I had had any problems with the power steering. Now it appears that they want them all to come in to at least have a look at it. I'll have to call my local dealership to see when I can take mine in I suppose. Not sure what else we're all supposed to do.
    -- Whatever doesn't kill me, only makes me stronger. --

Comment

Originally posted by philko80 View Post
      I was reading about this earlier today as well. I have an '06, but haven't had any problems with it at all so far, in regards to power steering and all. If I remember the letter I got a couple of years back, it advised that I only bring my vehicle in if I had had any problems with the power steering. Now it appears that they want them all to come in to at least have a look at it. I'll have to call my local dealership to see when I can take mine in I suppose. Not sure what else we're all supposed to do.

Because I had it replaced 3 years ago and i hadn't have any problems before they did the recall but went ahead and recalled it 3 years ago.... but i just wasn't sure if they gonna change it from the electric to hydraulic along with the power steering motors and stuff... and I have an 06 V6 but obviously I think my motor mounts needs to be replaced though

Comment

So do we have any info about changing them from electric to hydraulic? That seems like a lot of engineering work and vehicle modification would need done. I can't see that being the case, but who knows?!

I had a problem with mine last summer. I never lost power steering and never got a message, but when reversing out of a parking spot the wheels/tires felt like they were gonna fall over themselves and would catch on something. When this happened the steering wheel would jolt into the other direction, fighting me the whole time I was trying to back up. It really didn't like going full lock in reverse lol.
        My dealer replaced the rack under the previous recall and I've had no problems since. Though if for some crazy reason they switch the hydraulic steering I might see about having it done. I could probably complain about not feeling safe with their flawed electric design and whatnot and they would do it, but I really just hate how numb and lifeless the steering is.

Comment

no fellas.. this will not be a change from electric to hydraulic..

should be also noted, if your vehicle has already had "recall service" for this steering problem, you will not be eligible for this recall as the problem should have been already fixed. You will receive a letter from GM stating your car was effected by the recall and you should make an appointment with your local dealer to claim this service. Also, any reputable dealer will send their own letter if you purchased the vehicle from them.

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Comment

Originally posted by cmessick View Post
            Also, any reputable dealer will send their own letter if you purchased the vehicle from them.
            This is probably true, and I'm jealous of those of you that did purchase it from such reputable places. Sadly, I purchased mine new from Max Motors back in '06, which recently became (in)famous because of that stupid "God, Guns, & Guts" show. I never heard from them in regards to the previous recall, and don't expect to hear from them now. The whole dealership is more of a joke/circus sideshow than anything else.
            -- Whatever doesn't kill me, only makes me stronger. --

Comment

Originally posted by philko80 View Post
              This is probably true, and I'm jealous of those of you that did purchase it from such reputable places. Sadly, I purchased mine new from Max Motors back in '06, which recently became (in)famous because of that stupid "God, Guns, & Guts" show. I never heard from them in regards to the previous recall, and don't expect to hear from them now. The whole dealership is more of a joke/circus sideshow than anything else.
              So long as you are the registered owner of the vehicle, you "should" receive a letter directly from GM directing you to your nearest dealer. I am going to take mine back to the small town where I bought and have them replace it and get the money for the work. My local dealer won't touch it unless it has the message and the code. Some of these units fail and won't trip the message and the code. (kinda like mine) Many dealers are happy to just have the service and the money from GM on the repair. Others won't work on it unless it meets the recall to a T, will charge you to look at it, and then tell you its another problem and charge you for THAT repair. Avoid dealers like that like the damn plague.

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Comment

Originally posted by cmessick View Post
                no fellas.. this will not be a change from electric to hydraulic..

should be also noted, if your vehicle has already had "recall service" for this steering problem, you will not be eligible for this recall as the problem should have been already fixed. You will receive a letter from GM stating your car was effected by the recall and you should make an appointment with your local dealer to claim this service. Also, any reputable dealer will send their own letter if you purchased the vehicle from them.
                But it also says this though "Service parts installed into certain vehicles before May 31, 2010 under a previous safety recall "

Comment

Yay, 2007 is the only G6 year not mentioned!
                  Hit the tires and light the fires

Current Mods:
                  CRABs Option 3, Racingline TSB, Racingline Grounding Kit, Magnaflow Dual Exhaust/Resonator Delete, Taillight Bevels, RAZO Pedal Covers, Painted Engine Covers, Powerstop Brake Kit, Painted Calipers, Gorilla Red Lug Nuts, REMIN Dash Kit, BMD Endlinks, Painted mirror caps, Partial Debadge, Borbet MA wheels, Eibach lowering kit, Monroe shocks and struts

Future Mods:
                  AIT Front Bumper (Awaiting Paint/Installation), Concept Emblems (Awaiting Installation), NGK spark plugs, GTP Rear Bumper Cover, AIT Hood, FPU, CCFL headlights

Comment

Then I would go with that. They probably used just another standard rack. This new rack should be the complete fix it shoulda been to start with. I'm with you on this, and I must have missed that statement. All of these recalled cars will on proper record. I just hope the dealers fix the problem, instead of sticking you with a repair bill instead.

Just to make further notes:

again.. ONLY CARS WITH ELECTRIC POWER STEERING WILL BE INVOLVED

If you can look under your hood, and you have a power steering reservoir.. you will not be included.. if you don't know what your looking for, wait until the letters arrive, or the dealership network has more than 24hrs to learn about this.

This recall announcement was made YESTERDAY, so there will be a very normal delay before the dealership networks begin to be instructed on how to handle the recall. Give the guys a chance to know something before you guys start making phone calls asking questions they can't answer yet. It'll save you some time, and allow them to service the customers they have in shop already.

ALSO, please read the GM Press Release for all the information that has been provided. It it in the very FIRST post, and describes what the problem is.

Comment

how are most dealerships when it comes to having mods done to your car even though its something recalled? if i find out that i need to get mine taken care of should i just remove my crabs and put the stock box back on or will they even care since its a recall

Comment

Originally posted by moose517 View Post
                        how are most dealerships when it comes to having mods done to your car even though its something recalled? if i find out that i need to get mine taken care of should i just remove my crabs and put the stock box back on or will they even care since its a recall
                        if they care.. im completely hosed

Comment

Originally posted by Echidna View Post
                          Yay, 2007 is the only G6 year not mentioned!
                          that's what im thinking unless they used a different kind of steering system which it should be the same though....

Comment

I own an 07 and I'm wondering if it would be wise to just call my local dealership and just verify if there is a recall for my year. Has anyone figured out about the 2007's yet?

Comment

Originally posted by HixG6 View Post
                              I own an 07 and I'm wondering if it would be wise to just call my local dealership and just verify if there is a recall for my year. Has anyone figured out about the 2007's yet?
                              it was mentioned that the 2007 MY is not being recalled and I find it very odd at some point but I would ask first-

Comment

Working...
                              X