Castrol Edge Titanium (Extended Performance) motor oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Castrol Edge Titanium (Extended Performance) motor oil

Brand: Castrol Edge Titanium (recently changed to: Castrol Edge Extended Performance with Titanium FST...)
    Price: $8.xx per quart regular price.
    Purchased From: Anywhere that carries high quality oil (Wal-Mart fits in the category believe it or not)

Installation: Brainless
    Installation Time: 15-20 minutes if your good. Takes me 45 minutes on a lazy Sunday.
    Any Installation Tips: Drain old oil, replace oil filter, open oil fill cap, open new oil container, pour new oil into open oil fill neck, blah, etc.

Quality of Part: 9.9/10
    Product Performance: 9.9/10
    Recommend to Others: Absolutely

Comments: Castrol Edge is the top of the line oil for British Petrolium and Titanium is the pinnacle. Castrol Edge Titanium recently had a name change to "Castrol Edge Extended Performance" with the tagline "Guaranteed protection up to 15,000 miles with Titanium FST" where FST stands for "Fluid Strength Technology." (this would presumably be to compete directly in the public eye with Mobile 1 extended performance) It still comes in a 'gold' bottle instead of the standard black Castrol Edge container.

When I bought my car I used nothing but Royal Purple oil for several years and could tell a huge difference over conventional oil. In my opinion, Royal Purple performs even better than Mobile 1 Extended Performance. The only reason I know this is because Mobile often goes on sale whereas RP almost never does. We all know how tight money is for most of us, and it is hard to justify almost $10/quart for something that will be gone in 3-7k miles. So when Castrol Edge Titanium was introduced at a discount, I thought I might as well try it... if I didn't like it, it's only for one oil change. Turns out that it is great oil and totally on par with Royal Purple. I only rated it 9.9/10 because I don't believe there is such a thing as "perfect" oil, and there is most likely room for further development.

Two weeks ago I happened to buy a 5 quart jug at Wal-Mart for ~$25.00 (~$5/quart) and changed the oil myself for a steal of a price. So my suggestion is to wait till it's on sale an jump on it for similar or better performance to Royal Purple for a fraction of the cost.

My Progression Page: click here

Re: Castrol Edge Titanium (Extended Performance) motor oil

The only way to really know the quality of an oil is by having it's properties and contaminants examined once used. At that point I really wouldn't even bother with a test as any brand name synthetic oil will be perfectly fine for our lesser demanding engines. Tons of info at bobistheoilguy.com, btw. You can see results and discussions about which oils perform better for lower prices.

Otherwise I believe switching to a more expensive oil and feeling that it's better is merely wishful thinking. Just like how it always "feels" that a car runs better after an oil change.

Comment

It's the placebo effect. Otherwise if you change the oil regularly and actually notice the engine runs better after every oil change, then your engine has a serious problem. A well running engine shows no difference with normal used oil vs. new oil. Oil is not designed to make the engine run better. It's designed to protect the engine against excess wear and tear.

Comment

This oil, like a few other synthetic oils that have hit the market in recent years, will protect your engine for longer (15k miles claimed, like the above mentioned Mobile 1 EP or Amsoil). Since our engines generally run hotter than the other brands' counterparts, I believe you should use an oil that will hold up longer to higher temps.

I am not a scientist and I do not work for BP, but when I say I notice a difference between conventional and synthetic oil, I did notice it. Nobody is making you buy anything and you can, as always, do as you wish. I am simply saying that I believe Titanium is equal quality to RP for cheaper, AND, I also believe that (in my opinion, through observation) it holds up better than Mobile 1 EP for about the same price.

I'm done with this.

EDIT: Sorry for rage-quitting earlier, it's been a stressful day for me. Apologies!
        Last edited by Rannin Ravensight; 03-03-2014, 10:02 PM.

My Progression Page: click here

Comment

Don't forget no matter what oil you use, the oil filter still need to be changed every 5k miles.

Comment

Working...
          X