Headlight harness replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight harness replacement

Seems most folks (like me) seem to suffer from headlight harness rot.
    Getting the rust off the wires and pins in the harness is impossible.
    At best you just bandage the issue and dont fix it because finding the 5 pin harness is also an enigma.

Well I'd like to extend a Big Thanks to Chuck Eifert "chazde3" for finding the right ones for us!

Female - http://www.corsa-technic.com/item.ph...category_id=80
    Male - http://www.corsa-technic.com/item.ph...category_id=80

Last edited by Lampoon; 11-14-2013, 10:26 AM.
    Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
    Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
    WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Re: Headlight harness replacement

Awesome!! Should my dielectric grease caked connector fail I know where to find the replacement. Thanks!

Comment

I thought I posted these months ago. My bad guys. Been busy working away on the house and haven't been here or working on the car much.
      2005 G6 GT
      My Progression Thread

Current Mods: Debadged, Arrow badges blacked out, Chrome grill surrounds blacked out, Grand Am LED 3rd brake light mod, Black Eagle Eye projectors, Black recessed lower grills, Red LED underdash/seat lighting, Redline Tuning Elite hood struts, Racingline STB, CRABS Option 3, 6k DDM Tuning HID lows, Color match interior trim

Mods on the way: 6k DDM Tuning HID fogs

Future Plans: Plastidip stock GT rims, Painted engine cover

Comment

Damn, i wish you did post these months ago. Just did mine and ended up cutting all the connectors and soldering them because the harness to the car was shot. Had i seen these i would have just threw these on and kept the new ones on the eagle eyes i installed.

I guess ill buy these and add them in one day just to make working on the front end easier....
        Mods: Racingline STB, Racingline grounding kit, Racingline MMI, Crabs Intake O3 w/ FPU, Redline Quicklift PLUS, Front R1Concepts Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads, BMD Adjustable Endlinks, H&R Sport Lowering springs, WAMS 93 Octane ECM Tune

Appearance Mods: Eagle Eye Projector Headlights (Black), Dart Carbon Fiber Overlays, Full Debadge, Plastidipped Grill, Black Altezza Tail Lights, Red Interior LEDs

Comment

I know for a fact I posted these months ago myself but in any case I bought them and ended up throwing them away. I dont want another stock harness, I wanted to make for damn sure they were weatherproof so I purchased the suggestion from someones thread about the weatherpac harness. Its a 6 pin but was easy enough to have that one sealed off. I had a proffesional electrician soldier it together for me to make sure I would not have any problems and I have not since. I have checked over the months for the tell tale signs of corrosion and so far zero not even the regular moisture we always see in our harnesses after a good rain. This thing is water tight...

EDIT: this is the exact one I got
          Free Shipping - Allstar Performance Weatherpack Connectors with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Weatherproof Connectors at Summit Racing.
          Last edited by justeric78; 11-17-2013, 12:26 PM.
          2008 G6 GXP 3.6L Coupe - Street Edition - Black

Mods: All the usual suspects

Progression Thread

Comment

I think I remember seeing that somewhere. I just couldn't find it. The weatherpac does make more sense to get though. Might as well upgrade it if you gotta replace it.

Comment

I went ahead and bought it. I just started to get the pesky passenger side headlight short. It's uber annoying. Can't wait to get it and install it. Thumbsup for this thread.

07 G6 base model 2.4L
              Mods: Duraflex Bodykit / IPP Carbon Fiber Hood / tranny cooler / AVS window visors...more to come

Comment

Good info on this.Def gotta get a new set for both headlamps.Has anyone ordered from them yet and how was the experience?

Comment

Took me two days, çutting, splicing, soldering and heat shrink covering them.
                  I added a foot of wiring to each side to make removal easier.

I also figured out why these things rot out.
                  If you look at your stocker harnesses you will see several spots
                  Where two wires go into a one wire slot. That's fine and dandy but
                  That won't fit in the harness unless you remove its rubber sleeve.
                  You know, the rubber sleeve that keeps water out! Soooo water can
                  Now breech the harness and it has no where to go but sit in the harness.
                  Its a wonder these things aren't corroded through in one year.

I see two ways of fixing that against future issues.
                  Liquid tape and stuffing the harness with die electric grease
                  -or-
                  Tieing in the second wire outside the harness.

I elected to go the first route but on reflection I wish I went the
                  Second route. Either way it miles better.

I also recommends the extra foot of wiring on each side of each harness.

Its so easy to remove them now. I tied them up with zip ties.
                  I thought about some loom but you can't see them in there so why bother.

Takea chair with you when you cut and splice in the other harness in the quarter.
                  Its faster going than the headlight though and you will be very happy that you added the foot of wiring there.

Last edited by Lampoon; 01-05-2014, 09:14 AM.

MODS:

Comment

I kick myself for not taking pics but I replaced mine from the one from Summit Racing. It was pretty easy install. I just wish all g6 harnesses were like this instead of getting a headache of figuring out why a headlight keeps going out.

07 G6 base model 2.4L
                    Mods: Duraflex Bodykit / IPP Carbon Fiber Hood / tranny cooler / AVS window visors...more to come

Comment

I might just replace my connectors for piece of mind now... maybe use a connector with more pins and make dedicated hid wiring too.

Comment

So this may seem like a rather retarded question... I just bought my G6 Monday (6/23) and everything was fine with the headlights. Now I get out to the car and the driver side Low Beam is out. High, and the Blinker work fine. I then removed both headlights and plugged the driver side into the passenger and it works perfect, but when I did plugged the passenger into the driver side, same damn problem as the start. So given that I know its not in the actual light assembly, where is it failing. I know a few things electrical but not much. Everything I learned about my previous truck before this car I learned from the forum as well, so I'm hoping for the same here.

To answer your question yes I have already looked at all the threads about this but which harness is exactly failing? The male end into the headlight assembly? Any pictures or through explanations would be greatly appreciated. I'm not an idiot, hopefully, just learning cars as I go along... LOL

Comment

Just had this issue start happening on the Wife's 07 G6. Which side of the harness does this issue stem from? What's the best way to clean the contacts? I will need to be replacing this soon for her, and want to make sure I have everything I need.
                          2007 Pontiac G6 3.5L V6 | 1998 BMW Z3 Dinan

Comment

I'm considering just ordering a 5 or 6 pin waterproof marine connector to rewire the headlights/eagle-eyes. This would mean the factory style connectors would be completely removed. How many people have done this and did anyone take the 6th wire (joined with another wire at the harness per Lampoon) and run it on it's own pin (used all 6 of the wires in a 6-wire connector)?

I need to get this thing addressed ASAP as my low beam lights are going in and out and it's unsafe. Just trying to get an idea of what all is involved and how long it will take for S&H and how long it will take for installation. Thanks in advance.

Lampoon, did you simply cut the factory wires and re-install the new male and female waterproof connectors in their place (in addition to some extra wire for ease of removal)? How long did shipping take to get the factory style plugs? You said it took you 2 days of rewiring...any suggestions on shortening the down time (it's my daily driver)?
                            How do I set a laser printer to stun?

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyfloyd View Post
                              Just had this issue start happening on the Wife's 07 G6. Which side of the harness does this issue stem from? What's the best way to clean the contacts? I will need to be replacing this soon for her, and want to make sure I have everything I need.
                              Get both male and female. For the price and issues do both sides as well.

Originally posted by mobilebyrd View Post
                              ...Lampoon, did you simply cut the factory wires and re-install the new male and female waterproof connectors in their place (in addition to some extra wire for ease of removal)? How long did shipping take to get the factory style plugs? You said it took you 2 days of rewiring...any suggestions on shortening the down time (it's my daily driver)?
                              Yes...but tie in the one wire to the other further up the wires and not at the harness so only one wire goes into the one wire slot.
                              Otherwise you wont be able to get the rubber piece to fit and seal it.

I hope Im making sense. There is one slot that has two wires going to it. Tie one of the wires into the other wire before you get to the harness.
                              That way only one wire is going into the harness.

You can do it in a couple hours easy. Im just slow and lazy....

If your worried about time...do it on your weekend.

Cut the wires. Slide on a good 1.5" strip of heat shrink tubing. Put wires together and solder. Slide tubing over it then
                              use a match to shrink it tight. Then onto the next wire. When your done with both sides slather the harness (both sides) with die electric grease.
                              That will prevent water from getting in it again and causing the same issues. Easy cheesy.

I havent had an issues since doing it.

MODS:

Comment

Working...
                              X