No announcement yet.

A little bit of what I do at College..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little bit of what I do at College..

Hey guys I've been a member for a few years now and am on my second year of college at the moment and the 6 is still kicking..for now lol. I doubt any of you guys have heard of this but I feel like what I'm doing in college is very exciting and will hopefully one day be televised on national TV.

I am a part of Formula SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) and every year we design, manufacture, test, and eventually compete against other college's across the world. A lot of big name automotive companies hire directly from Formula teams and a few of our alumni are currently Engineers for Roush (Which is my future goal btw). I just want to share what our team does and if there's enough interest I may keep a small progression of what's going on during the year and how we do at competitions.

Every year we generally go to 2 or 3 (cost dependent) competitions. Usually one at Michigan international speedway where close to 120 teams compete, one in Canada (20-30) teams, and this year we plan to race at Nebraska (around 100 teams). We compete not only against Colleges in the United States but also Canadian teams (duhh) as well as European (they usually kick our asses), Indian, Chinese, and Brazilian teams. Last year we actually hosted a team from Brazil and got to know them pretty well. My job on the team this year is the understudy to the power train division in which I actually get to design the exhaust as well as radiator shroud.

Right now after hours of solid modeling, FEA, and CFD we're finishing up the design phase and are about to build our chassis jig. I have a few pictures of last years car as well as the concepts for this years car as well. As the team is moving on to our 20th year we have decided to go a little extreme for this season as you can see from the pictures. Well enough of the introduction I'll get to the pics haha.

Last year's car^

This year's concept^

If you wanted to stay updated with the team, like us on Facebook here. Thanks for checking this out..hopefully this seems interesting to you guys
    Mods: AIT Hood, Black EE's, Crab O3, 25% Tint all around, Matt Black Dipped Rims, LED's in Hood Scoops, Intake Resonator Delete, Blacked out Pontiac Darts, De-badge, Molded mud flaps, Flat Black grille surrounds, Flat Black window trim, GM logo Interior Re-Badge, Tinted Tail lights.

Future Mods: Flowmaster Super44, Matt Black Recessed Uppers, Matt Black Recessed Lowers (awaiting install), Eibach Drop, Interior LED's.

"Life's short. Drive fast, leave a sexy corpse."

Re: A little bit of what I do at College..

Pretty cool. I studied mechanical design back a few years ago but didn't get a job in it. Wish I did, miss drawing stuff and using the different design software. Stick with it, looks like fun.
    Mods: FlashTech, GT-R, K&N, Kenwood, JVC, CQuence

Comment

Here's a couple pics from MIS last year

Let me know if you guys want to see pics of your favorite college teams car!
      Mods: AIT Hood, Black EE's, Crab O3, 25% Tint all around, Matt Black Dipped Rims, LED's in Hood Scoops, Intake Resonator Delete, Blacked out Pontiac Darts, De-badge, Molded mud flaps, Flat Black grille surrounds, Flat Black window trim, GM logo Interior Re-Badge, Tinted Tail lights.

Future Mods: Flowmaster Super44, Matt Black Recessed Uppers, Matt Black Recessed Lowers (awaiting install), Eibach Drop, Interior LED's.

Comment

I was on the Purdue team one year lol.

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Comment

Originally posted by cmessick View Post
          I was on the Purdue team one year lol.
          You're an engineer?? I thought it was only me and theshibbykumquat lol

Comment

Yea.. no there's more than a few of us

sent via space transponder

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Comment

I am a mech. Engineering student at Toledo. Are you the one who goes to ut. I think I have seen your sixxer in the lot by north engineering. I am a junior and I have wanted to get into sae since I was a freshman. Pm me your info and we can talk sometime.

ISimple Ipod adapter, Heat wrapped Injen, CRABs Option 3, ?% Tint, 6000K HIDs,GT-R, Tinted Tails, Rear badge delete, Plastidiped grills and front dart, Brembos, Pulse p5 17"s, racingline MMIs

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan5150 View Post
                I am a mech. Engineering student at Toledo. Are you the one who goes to ut. I think I have seen your sixxer in the lot by north engineering. I am a junior and I have wanted to get into sae since I was a freshman. Pm me your info and we can talk sometime.
                PM sent

Comment

Cool stuff man. Not a big fan of the colors of the newer car, the older one looks better to me... Other than the colors, the car looks SICK. Just curious, who/what is funding the building of these cars? I wish my school had something like this.

Those drawings make me want to get back into inventor, i dropped my class last semester for personal reasons and needed to focus more on another class.

Also, Mechanical Engineering student here.
                  Last edited by ckeelan2087; 11-13-2013, 11:41 PM.
                  Mods: Racingline STB, Racingline grounding kit, Racingline MMI, Crabs Intake O3 w/ FPU, Redline Quicklift PLUS, Front R1Concepts Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads, BMD Adjustable Endlinks, H&R Sport Lowering springs, WAMS 93 Octane ECM Tune

Appearance Mods: Eagle Eye Projector Headlights (Black), Dart Carbon Fiber Overlays, Full Debadge, Plastidipped Grill, Black Altezza Tail Lights, Red Interior LEDs

Comment

Originally posted by ckeelan2087 View Post
                    Cool stuff man. Not a big fan of the colors of the newer car, the older one looks better to me... Other than the colors, the car looks SICK. Just curious, who/what is funding the building of these cars? I wish my school had something like this.

Those drawings make me want to get back into inventor, i dropped my class last semester for personal reasons and needed to focus more on another class.

Also, Mechanical Engineering student here.
                    Yea we're just trying to incorporate a little more yellow into the car (as blue and gold are our school colors). But we use Solidworks to build the whole car before hand and I personally loved my CAD class first semester. What college do you go to? They may have a team and you may not know it. As for our funding we have to find all of the donations ourselves, hence the sponsor stickers on the car. Usually most teams try to get sponsors by big companies in the area but we've always had difficulty in our area with that haha. Which is probably why we do decent in the design portion of the competitions.

Comment

This is a picture of Jack Roush signing the car in a Detroit SAE conference. This happened the year before I join the team, and this is (from how I understand it) how two of our Alumni got jobs at Roush.

Comment

very awesome!!
                        Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
                        Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
                        WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Cool stuff. I'm a mechanical designer up in Lansing. The stuff I design goes a little faster than your car though lol. About the speed of light
                          2005 G6 GT
                          My Progression Thread

Current Mods: Debadged, Arrow badges blacked out, Chrome grill surrounds blacked out, Grand Am LED 3rd brake light mod, Black Eagle Eye projectors, Black recessed lower grills, Red LED underdash/seat lighting, Redline Tuning Elite hood struts, Racingline STB, CRABS Option 3, 6k DDM Tuning HID lows, Color match interior trim

Mods on the way: 6k DDM Tuning HID fogs

Future Plans: Plastidip stock GT rims, Painted engine cover

Comment

Originally posted by Bosspackfan4 View Post
                            Yea we're just trying to incorporate a little more yellow into the car (as blue and gold are our school colors). But we use Solidworks to build the whole car before hand and I personally loved my CAD class first semester. What college do you go to? They may have a team and you may not know it. As for our funding we have to find all of the donations ourselves, hence the sponsor stickers on the car. Usually most teams try to get sponsors by big companies in the area but we've always had difficulty in our area with that haha. Which is probably why we do decent in the design portion of the competitions.
                            Ok that makes sense with the blue and yellow as school colors, didnt cross my mind. All i was thinking was why such ugly colors lol

Yea i enjoyed the class, but i was taking a material science class which was taking over all my time and had a loss in the family and was having an all around bad time; My options were either get lower than desired grades in all my classes or drop one and get my a's and b's. Picked the later....

I go to Farmingdale State, i dont think we have a team, if we did i wouldnt know; the campus isnt very social lol
                            Mods: Racingline STB, Racingline grounding kit, Racingline MMI, Crabs Intake O3 w/ FPU, Redline Quicklift PLUS, Front R1Concepts Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads, BMD Adjustable Endlinks, H&R Sport Lowering springs, WAMS 93 Octane ECM Tune

Appearance Mods: Eagle Eye Projector Headlights (Black), Dart Carbon Fiber Overlays, Full Debadge, Plastidipped Grill, Black Altezza Tail Lights, Red Interior LEDs

Comment

Originally posted by ckeelan2087 View Post
                              Ok that makes sense with the blue and yellow as school colors, didnt cross my mind. All i was thinking was why such ugly colors lol

Yea i enjoyed the class, but i was taking a material science class which was taking over all my time and had a loss in the family and was having an all around bad time; My options were either get lower than desired grades in all my classes or drop one and get my a's and b's. Picked the later....

I go to Farmingdale State, i dont think we have a team, if we did i wouldnt know; the campus isnt very social lol
                              I know that feel..I'm taking materials right now and it's kicking my ass lol I'm so glad I get a semester off of classes though with my co-op this spring!

Comment

Working...
                              X