Install Koni Yellow Sport Dampers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Install Koni Yellow Sport Dampers

Because I’ve had several people asking me for more info about the Konis I installed on my car, I put together a how to for everybody. I didn’t take a whole lot of pictures at the time, but I will explain it as best I can, and feel free to ask me questions if you have any.

First off you will need to order the Konis, part numbers as follows:

2x - 8641-1500SPORT (These are the front strut inserts from a Cobalt)
    2x - 8040-1342Sport (These are the rear shocks from a Saab 9-3)

I bought all of them on Tirerack, but it was during a sale and got them for around 550, shop around for them and you should be able to find a decent price.

Now to installing the front strut inserts, they do require you to hack up your OEM front struts, so I bought a junked set so I didn’t destroy my good ones…

First, you need to drill a hole in the center of the bottom of the front strut. I used a small bit to make a pilot hole first. I then turned the strut over into a bucket and pumped the piston to drain the strut of all the oil.

Next you need to enlarge the hole you just drilled to ½”, you probably want to work your way up in bits to ½”

After that I used a hacksaw to cut the top of the strut off. Cut up as far as possible before the struck necks down, you need the full diameter of the strut. Some struts might not neck down so just cut them at the bottom of the plastic cap.

At this point you will be left with something similar to this…

You will be installing the insert inside the hollowed out strut…

Before I did that though, I sanded down the struts and painted them to match Koni yellow. Rustoleum Industrial Choice paint in the School Bus Yellow is a near identical match…

I was left with this after…

Install the rubber sleeve over the strut before putting the insert in…

You will notice that the insert does not reach all the way to the bottom before the bumps on the Koni hit the cut end of your strut, and the supplied allen bolt is probably too short to pull it down…

So I picked up this bolt from the parts store, M12-1.50 by 40mm long…

Insert this bolt and tighten it down, you will notice this will suck the bumps on the top of the Koni down into your old strut housing leaving a tight fit, continue to tighten until the bolt bottoms or the Koni bottoms on the strut…

Like this…

Then unscrew the bolt an you will notice that the threads on the insert are now close to the bottom of the housing now…

So now use the supplied Allen bolt and washers. Be sure to put Red Loctite on the Allen bolt and torque it to 55 ft-lbs. Pull up the rubber boot to cover the seam between the insert and strut housing at the top. You should be left with this…

Now you’re pretty much left with a normal strut that can be assembled with your springs like any other strut. Use the top strut nut that came with the Konis and not your old strut as they have different thread pitches. And here you go, they just install like any other strut…

The rears on the other hand are easy…

They are identical to the stockers…

Don’t let the install scare you away. It is a lot easier than it seems, and can be done at home with simple hand tools. The Konis come with a set of instructions, but they are pretty substandard so I hope this helps to make things easier for everybody. Here’s a link to Konis install Clicky . You can also check out these 2 threads on Cobalt forums about installing the Koni inserts, pretty much the same since I did use Cobalt strut inserts, the Cobalt strut bodies are identical to ours anyways. This thread Clicky and this one Clicky.

I’ve been riding these for several weeks now and our amazing! I would highly recommend this to anybody. It’s cheaper than coilovers and rides a whole lot better too. Hope this helps everybody, if you have any questions just post them up!
    Mods: BMD Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs

My Progression

BMD Performance products

Re: Install Koni Yellow Sport Dampers

Here is a link to the fronts:

Here is a link to the rears:

Performance: WAMS, K&N 69 Series CAI, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust built with a Camaro SS Muffler and Glasspack with 4 inch double-wall stainless steel tips, Thunderbolt 8.2mm High-Performance Spark Plug Wires, NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs, Pennzoil Ultra Full Synthetic, Resonator Delete, Racingline Motor Mount Inserts, Racingline Grounding kit. (4 additional grounds from battery to front bumper for DDM tuning HIDS)

Handling: Moog Front Control Arms and Toe Ends, Racingline STB, Koni Yellow "4 Point" Suspension -Front to Rear- , Energy Suspension Poly Front Sway Bar bushings, Energy Suspension Tie-rod bushings, Energy Suspension Front Control Arm replacement mounts, Eibach Pro-kit springs, BMD Front Endlinks, Genuine Saab .9mm Rear Chamber Shims, 19mm Motorsports spacers on all 4 tires.

Stopping: Cobalt SS Front Brembo's, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted Front Rotors, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted and Drilled rear Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid, BMD Steel Braided Brake Lines, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires.

Appearance: Revotec Eagle Eye CCFL Projectors, Red Calibers, 6000k 35w DDM fogs, 6000k 55w DDM lows, LED Taillights, DDM Tuning LED Switchback Turn Signals, Konig Crown 17x7.5 Rims. 30% tint in front windows, rear windows @ 15% tint

Safety & Security: Cobra XRS 9470 Radar Detector, Experimental 2mm rear mounted camera with Bluetooth connectivity to my phone, GOSHERS Universal Blind Spot Detection System w/ LED Indicators, Waze GPS App with a windshield mount for early warning for police coupled with Radar Detector (double-whammy).

Experimental: BG 44k, BG MOA, BG ATC, Custom Transmission Cooler, Super Secret Flux-capacitor transporter, Header reflective wrap, CAI 2000 degree radiant reflective wrap.

Progression: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22823

Comment

Nicely done! I read some recent discussions about the Konis and thought about doing them, but wasn't sure of how involved it was, but this makes seem much less intimidating. Thanks for the how-to.
      Mods: FlashTech, GT-R, K&N, Kenwood, JVC, CQuence

Comment

Originally posted by blkg6creed View Post
        Nicely done! I read some recent discussions about the Konis and thought about doing them, but wasn't sure of how involved it was, but this makes seem much less intimidating. Thanks for the how-to.
        Yeah its not that bad, it seems much worse than it actually is. I ended up waiting longer for the paint to dry than it actually took me to modify the strut and install it
        Mods: BMD Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs

My Progression

BMD Performance products

Comment

Originally posted by blkg6creed View Post
          I can contest to the performance and comfort of the Koni's even though I so far only have them on my rear's. They make the car so comfortable on the highway and on normal county roads it's like a new car, even with the Eibach lowering springs. Even with them in the rear, the handling and performance of them working with the Eibach's just make for a extremely planted and controlled rear end.

I'll be doing the front's in about 2 months, right now the Monroe's are way better than OEM ever was, but the Koni's for the front I'm sure will be amazing.

All owners that have lowering springs will fall in love with these Koni's; plus there adjustable!!!!!! - I highly recommend these upgrades!
          Performance: WAMS, K&N 69 Series CAI, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust built with a Camaro SS Muffler and Glasspack with 4 inch double-wall stainless steel tips, Thunderbolt 8.2mm High-Performance Spark Plug Wires, NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs, Pennzoil Ultra Full Synthetic, Resonator Delete, Racingline Motor Mount Inserts, Racingline Grounding kit. (4 additional grounds from battery to front bumper for DDM tuning HIDS)

Handling: Moog Front Control Arms and Toe Ends, Racingline STB, Koni Yellow "4 Point" Suspension -Front to Rear- , Energy Suspension Poly Front Sway Bar bushings, Energy Suspension Tie-rod bushings, Energy Suspension Front Control Arm replacement mounts, Eibach Pro-kit springs, BMD Front Endlinks, Genuine Saab .9mm Rear Chamber Shims, 19mm Motorsports spacers on all 4 tires.

Stopping: Cobalt SS Front Brembo's, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted Front Rotors, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted and Drilled rear Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid, BMD Steel Braided Brake Lines, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires.

Appearance: Revotec Eagle Eye CCFL Projectors, Red Calibers, 6000k 35w DDM fogs, 6000k 55w DDM lows, LED Taillights, DDM Tuning LED Switchback Turn Signals, Konig Crown 17x7.5 Rims. 30% tint in front windows, rear windows @ 15% tint

Safety & Security: Cobra XRS 9470 Radar Detector, Experimental 2mm rear mounted camera with Bluetooth connectivity to my phone, GOSHERS Universal Blind Spot Detection System w/ LED Indicators, Waze GPS App with a windshield mount for early warning for police coupled with Radar Detector (double-whammy).

Experimental: BG 44k, BG MOA, BG ATC, Custom Transmission Cooler, Super Secret Flux-capacitor transporter, Header reflective wrap, CAI 2000 degree radiant reflective wrap.

Comment

I have mny doubts about adjustable suspension components, because once I finish the install I am NOT going to want to keep lifting the car and going back and tinkering with it till it's right. that takes a lot of valuable time.

however I do beleive that people who have lowering springs will love this mod, if I had known about this I would have kept my lowing springs.
            !!

however the big question is the stiffer the springs and struts are the harder your car will ride, even though you will handle like a beast, so with me being on stock springs, would this mod would make me ride harder but have better handling?

IALSO! I NEED TO ASK A QUESTION but I didn't want ot creat a whole new thread just to ask

a mechanic told me yesterday my struts are used to my old lowering springs and it wont handle or ride correctly until I replace the struts with new ones. because I was complaining of too much play in the wheel and the vehicle lift up on a launch. (it got better after I tightened my top mounths to 80lbs becaically he was saying anytime you swich from lowing springs you automatically need new struts because of the spring difference.

is this a load or is it true?
            Last edited by samurai; 11-13-2013, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by samurai View Post
              I have mny doubts about adjustable suspension components, because once I finish the install I am NOT going to want to keep lifting the car and going back and tinkering with it till it's right. that takes a lot of valuable time.

however I do beleive that people who have lowering springs will love this mod, if I had known about this I would have kept my lowing springs.
              !!

however the big question is the stiffer the springs and struts are the harder your car will ride, even though you will handle like a beast, so with me being on stock springs, would this mod would make me ride harder but have better handling?

IALSO! I NEED TO ASK A QUESTION but I didn't want ot creat a whole new thread just to ask

a mechanic told me yesterday my struts are used to my old lowering springs and it wont handle or ride correctly until I replace the struts with new ones. because I was complaining of too much play in the wheel and the vehicle lift up on a launch. (it got better after I tightened my top mounths to 80lbs becaically he was saying anytime you swich from lowing springs you automatically need new struts because of the spring difference.

Koni's will make the ride harsher or softer depending on the level of soft/firm you dial into the shocks when you put them on since they are adjustable. Myself I dialed them one full turn past full soft and it rides very smoothly, as per Bryant's recommendation.

Basically you can make the suspension stiff or loose; that's what I like about these Koni's. Me personally I can't speak anything bad about them, the worries i had like you Samurai are pretty much a thing of the past now. Lastly, they work fine for either normal springs or lowering springs.

Comment

The Konis are only rebound adjustable, not compression. So theyre not necessarily any stiffer in bumps. Mainly they help the car to stop bouncing around so much and control body roll in transient, which is a problem with stiffer springs (but also with the stock springs since they come underdamped from the factory).

You don't neccesarily need new struts with lowering springs. But eventually your stock struts are going to blow from them, and depending how old they are it may happen very soon after so new struts would atleast hold up a bit longer. That's going to keep happening though unless you have struts that are meant for lower stiffer springs, where you can dial in more damping to keep the springs under control, hence why I put on a pair of Konis.

My Progression

BMD Performance products

Comment

This is a truly truly interesting mod. I was gonna go back stock after my struts were done but maybe I will do this instead.

but about my question. what I meant was when switching FROM lowering springs do I need new struts?

my kyb struts and shocks are incredibly stiff. the wheel does not move at all over bumps and rides super hard. I haven't the slightest clue why that might be though my best guess is the the super stiff struts/shocks I tested when I switched from lowering springs back to stock springs.

also, (IT SEEMS maybe it's just me) after switching back from lowing springs, my g6 still sits super low. I kid you not, it almost looks like it's still lowered. I'll take pics. it's prettty cray

I talked to dealerships and kyb experts and BASICALLY what I got FROM THEM WAS that since kyb shocks come super super stiff on purpose to compensate for a worn suspension, when you pair them with brand new springs, you get a super stiff hard suspension,
                  Last edited by samurai; 11-17-2013, 08:44 AM.

Comment

This is a truly truly interesting mod. I was gonna go back stock after my struts were done but maybe I will do this instead.

but about my question. what I meant was when switching FROM lowering springs do I need new struts?

my kyb struts and shocks are incredibly stiff. the wheel does not move at all over bumps and rides super hard. I haven't the slightest clue why that might be though my best guess is the the super stiff struts/shocks I tested when I switched from lowering springs back to stock springs.

also, (IT SEEMS maybe it's just me) after switching back from lowing springs, my g6 still sits super low. I kid you not, it almost looks like it's still lowered. I'll take pics. it's prettty cray

I talked to dealerships and kyb experts and BASICALLY what I got FROM THEM WAS that since kyb shocks come super super stiff on purpose to compensate for a worn suspension, when you pair them with brand new springs, you get a super stiff hard suspension,
                    If it help with the Eibach's even over bumps my car now is super smooth (not stiff) and comfortable (not harsh) even with them just in the rear; with them in the front, I may have a sports car orgasm. :P

Comment

Well I bought the junker housings over the weekend and the inserts are being shipped as we speak... Probably on Wednesday of next week I'll start on hacking away on the junkers in preparation for popping in the inserts.... should be a fun mod....

I think I need to do it anyways, the front Monroe's are starting to make noises now on bumps and feel "loose" if i hit a pothole just right... I think they are revolting there stronger brethren in the rear...

Comment

yup I think it's safe to say if i get another 6 days out of these Monroe's i'll be happy. I press on the hood down but nothing seems to not be compressing but boys you get on a spot just right you can feel the front suspension loose as a goose right now...

my suspension is shot up front. I think my front monroe's are finally revolting, ever since I jack up the car on Sunday and to took pressure off the shocks to re-paint the calipers the front shocks have been handling differently (I think when i jacked the car it might have made the pistons move farther upward than they should have and bam); they are so unstable it's scary at times. the Koni Sports are two days away. I may-be escalating the front replacement sooner than planned as in next weekend.
                        Last edited by Deathmage; 12-27-2013, 08:56 AM.

Comment

FYI I found the front's today for a really good price!

Comment

Good stuff! Let us know how the install goes!

My Progression

BMD Performance products

Comment

Originally posted by theshibbykumquat View Post
                              Good stuff! Let us know how the install goes!
                              Although tomorrow I'm bring the car to the local shop (I know the owner and all the mechanics I went to high school with - the same place most of my most recent pictures are set at) to get my oil changes/rotate tires but I also got a hunch that the swap bar connections might be loose. I think this just because of the noises that are being made up in the front.... if not well by next weekend the project will be complete.

I plan on spending my new years chopping off the old struts, drilling the holes and painting them yellow and if the paint dries in time pop in the inserts for a Saturday installation.

Comment

Working...
                              X