Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Install Koni Yellow Sport Dampers

Originally posted by theshibbykumquat View Post
    Glad to see you went through with this and that you're enjoying them! I wouldn't really say it makes the car feel any less stiff, just helps to keep the ride smooth and in control with stiffer springs... This really just started out for me as an experiment trying to see if it would work, but it came out great and really makes a huge difference.
    it's a perfect combination with the Eibach springs, you have Peddlers so I'm sure yours is a bit different. The Eibach's are even lower and for me personally the ride is amazing.

Bumps still feel like bumps but as you know what I mean Bryant the bumps are less harsh. The best way to describe them is those spots in highway were you get that "zero gravity" feeling is what it feels like when going over bumps; it's just really smooth.

Lane-to-lane transfer of weight at speed or any speed is precise and smooth; lane shifting is the only time I can feel the Eibach's working all the other times the Koni's really do all the work.

When on cruise and touring the comfort levels on highways is like luxury car smooth....

High speed cornering is also amazing; last night as stated above when I was in-tow on the A6 I had a turn on the NJ Garden State Parkway where there was such a hard bank that before with the Monroe's in the front the control would be hard. Well lets just say I was doing in excess of 95+ around a corner and the car was so freaking smooth and precise it was utterly amazing. My Cobra detected radar uphead and my Waze app reported a radar trap 3/4 mile ahead and I slammed on the brakes gracefully to 75 and cruised on by them with the traffic flow but still I was in utter amazement as to the agility and precision the car has now....
    Performance: WAMS, K&N 69 Series CAI, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust built with a Camaro SS Muffler and Glasspack with 4 inch double-wall stainless steel tips, Thunderbolt 8.2mm High-Performance Spark Plug Wires, NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs, Pennzoil Ultra Full Synthetic, Resonator Delete, Racingline Motor Mount Inserts, Racingline Grounding kit. (4 additional grounds from battery to front bumper for DDM tuning HIDS)

Handling: Moog Front Control Arms and Toe Ends, Racingline STB, Koni Yellow "4 Point" Suspension -Front to Rear- , Energy Suspension Poly Front Sway Bar bushings, Energy Suspension Tie-rod bushings, Energy Suspension Front Control Arm replacement mounts, Eibach Pro-kit springs, BMD Front Endlinks, Genuine Saab .9mm Rear Chamber Shims, 19mm Motorsports spacers on all 4 tires.

Stopping: Cobalt SS Front Brembo's, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted Front Rotors, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted and Drilled rear Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid, BMD Steel Braided Brake Lines, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires.

Appearance: Revotec Eagle Eye CCFL Projectors, Red Calibers, 6000k 35w DDM fogs, 6000k 55w DDM lows, LED Taillights, DDM Tuning LED Switchback Turn Signals, Konig Crown 17x7.5 Rims. 30% tint in front windows, rear windows @ 15% tint

Safety & Security: Cobra XRS 9470 Radar Detector, Experimental 2mm rear mounted camera with Bluetooth connectivity to my phone, GOSHERS Universal Blind Spot Detection System w/ LED Indicators, Waze GPS App with a windshield mount for early warning for police coupled with Radar Detector (double-whammy).

Experimental: BG 44k, BG MOA, BG ATC, Custom Transmission Cooler, Super Secret Flux-capacitor transporter, Header reflective wrap, CAI 2000 degree radiant reflective wrap.

Progression: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22823

Comment

Bryant,

Have you fine tuned your suspension yet? I'm having a hard time to find my sweet spot. one complete turn past full soft is way to stiff. If I do half a turn past full soft it's like too loose. lol just trying to find the sweet spot. I'm also riding with 27psi in the front and 31psi in the rear (cold) so add on like 4 psi on the highway. I'm wondering if i bumped the fronts to say 33psi cold if that would make a difference.

Basically as I'm sure you know what I mean, moving that adjustment in the front even 1 cm soft/firm makes a huge difference. Basically this is what I'm looking for. I like the stiffness of the rear at one full turn past full soft since it controls the ass way better, but I like a soft controlled front end but with a responsive touch. I'm going to use a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being full soft, 10 being one full turn past full soft); I'm basically tossed between 4 and 7. 3 is just way to soft and when I turn the steering wheel I really got to turn it to get a responce but then it feels loose and it feels like the piston has less resistance as it should since duh it's softer. If I go to like 8 it really responds but feels like I'm steering a 4000lb tank but it really just the stiff resistance.

I'm going to see if setting it to 4.5 is better and bumping the psi in the front to say 33; it's currently at 27 in the colder mornings until it gets to 31 highway in the front and 35 in the rear (which the rear feels fine right now). it's just my front that feels weird; I think these really cold morning aren't agreeing with the shocks very well. They take a while to "warm up".

Also on a side note, when you reset yours do you reset yours back to full soft and then go to your firmer setting or do you notch forward/backwards from your current position? - I'm curious if I'm doing it correctly

lol I'm going to be playing with these things forever I think. -- just curious if you've had this fun issue too!!!!
      Last edited by Deathmage; 01-28-2014, 02:02 PM.
      Performance: WAMS, K&N 69 Series CAI, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust built with a Camaro SS Muffler and Glasspack with 4 inch double-wall stainless steel tips, Thunderbolt 8.2mm High-Performance Spark Plug Wires, NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs, Pennzoil Ultra Full Synthetic, Resonator Delete, Racingline Motor Mount Inserts, Racingline Grounding kit. (4 additional grounds from battery to front bumper for DDM tuning HIDS)

Handling: Moog Front Control Arms and Toe Ends, Racingline STB, Koni Yellow "4 Point" Suspension -Front to Rear- , Energy Suspension Poly Front Sway Bar bushings, Energy Suspension Tie-rod bushings, Energy Suspension Front Control Arm replacement mounts, Eibach Pro-kit springs, BMD Front Endlinks, Genuine Saab .9mm Rear Chamber Shims, 19mm Motorsports spacers on all 4 tires.

Stopping: Cobalt SS Front Brembo's, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted Front Rotors, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted and Drilled rear Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid, BMD Steel Braided Brake Lines, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires.

Appearance: Revotec Eagle Eye CCFL Projectors, Red Calibers, 6000k 35w DDM fogs, 6000k 55w DDM lows, LED Taillights, DDM Tuning LED Switchback Turn Signals, Konig Crown 17x7.5 Rims. 30% tint in front windows, rear windows @ 15% tint

Safety & Security: Cobra XRS 9470 Radar Detector, Experimental 2mm rear mounted camera with Bluetooth connectivity to my phone, GOSHERS Universal Blind Spot Detection System w/ LED Indicators, Waze GPS App with a windshield mount for early warning for police coupled with Radar Detector (double-whammy).

Experimental: BG 44k, BG MOA, BG ATC, Custom Transmission Cooler, Super Secret Flux-capacitor transporter, Header reflective wrap, CAI 2000 degree radiant reflective wrap.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathmage View Post
        Bryant,

Have you fine tuned your suspension yet? I'm having a hard time to find my sweet spot. one complete turn past full soft is way to stiff. If I do half a turn past full soft it's like too loose. lol just trying to find the sweet spot. I'm also riding with 27psi in the front and 31psi in the rear (cold) so add on like 4 psi on the highway. I'm wondering if i bumped the fronts to say 33psi cold if that would make a difference.

Basically as I'm sure you know what I mean, moving that adjustment in the front even 1 cm soft/firm makes a huge difference. Basically this is what I'm looking for. I like the stiffness of the rear at one full turn past full soft since it controls the ass way better, but I like a soft controlled front end but with a responsive touch. I'm going to use a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being full soft, 10 being one full turn past full soft); I'm basically tossed between 4 and 7. 3 is just way to soft and when I turn the steering wheel I really got to turn it to get a responce but then it feels loose and it feels like the piston has less resistance as it should since duh it's softer. If I go to like 8 it really responds but feels like I'm steering a 4000lb tank but it really just the stiff resistance.

I'm going to see if setting it to 4.5 is better and bumping the psi in the front to say 33; it's currently at 27 in the colder mornings until it gets to 31 highway in the front and 35 in the rear (which the rear feels fine right now). it's just my front that feels weird; I think these really cold morning aren't agreeing with the shocks very well. They take a while to "warm up".

Also on a side note, when you reset yours do you reset yours back to full soft and then go to your firmer setting or do you notch forward/backwards from your current position? - I'm curious if I'm doing it correctly

lol I'm going to be playing with these things forever I think. -- just curious if you've had this fun issue too!!!!
        Mine are pretty good right now, I have 1 1/4 turns in the front and 1 full in the rear, but my spring rates are likely different then yours so don't expect it to be the same.

To answer the other question, every time I adjust I do bottom it at full soft first and then adjust upward from there. If you're just adjusting back and forth from the current position that could be part of the reason you're having a hard time dialing it in. The adjustments have some lash in them, so if you're not starting at the same point every time (full soft) then its hard to tell exactly where its adjusted to.

Also check your tire pressures, front should be 30 at minimum. And as a rule of thumb for our cars you would almost always want the front tire pressures higher than the rears, or the front end may start to wash it.
        Mods: BMD Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs

My Progression

BMD Performance products

Comment

I've determined there is nothing wrong with the Koni's it's just the winter temps plus the salt and the potholes that seem to reproduce like crazy that is the core problem.....

on Interstates, IE the one that was paved over the summer is so smooth it's crazy. it's so smooth to the point last night (@ 3 am coming home from work) I realized I was doing 96 mph and didn't even feel the road.

Comment

Very nice thread.
            I was wondering if someone could post the part numbers for the Koni's. The two links to the tire rack have two different part numbers for both the front and the rears. I just want to make sure I get the right parts the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by AMFAB View Post
              Very nice thread.
              I was wondering if someone could post the part numbers for the Koni's. The two links to the tire rack have two different part numbers for both the front and the rears. I just want to make sure I get the right parts the first time.
              It's a custom job all the way around. the part number won't match our car on website but the parts do match up to our car.

The rears are a simple bolt on and shop can do them. The front's are inserts meant for a Cobalt SS but they work perfectly fine for us... you will need an old set of shocks from a junkyard from a Malibu, Cobalt, Aura, or G6 from years 2005 to 2008 in order to do this project. Also they will need to be a left and right shock.

Comment

So basically I will need to get the adjustables and get some strut housings from a Malibu, Cobalt, Aura, or G6 from years 2005 to 2008 and use part number Koni Manufacturer Part #: 8641-1500SPORT for the fronts and part number Manufacturer Part #: 8741-1479LSPORT for the left and part number Manufacturer Part #: 8741-1479RSPORT for the right.

Is there a reason not to use my original strut housing's? nWell besides the fact that there the originals and I may want to re-use them ?

Comment

Originally posted by AMFAB View Post
                  So basically I will need to get the adjustables and get some strut housings from a Malibu, Cobalt, Aura, or G6 from years 2005 to 2008 and use part number Koni Manufacturer Part #: 8641-1500SPORT for the fronts and part number Manufacturer Part #: 8741-1479LSPORT for the left and part number Manufacturer Part #: 8741-1479RSPORT for the right.

Is there a reason not to use my original strut housing's? nWell besides the fact that there the originals and I may want to re-use them ?
                  For the rears use: 8040-1342Sport

As for the front strut housing and why to use an extra set: You can have the strut cut, painted, install the insert, and get it ready before even jacking up the car. Lets say you take it apart, and your car is sitting with no front end and you NEED to drive somewhere.... good luck.

Lets say you mess up the cut, or something along those lines, and now you need to order an extra set, you are now going to end up waiting at least 3 days, probably longer. With no car.....
                  Mods: Racingline STB, Racingline grounding kit, Racingline MMI, Crabs Intake O3 w/ FPU, Redline Quicklift PLUS, Front R1Concepts Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads, BMD Adjustable Endlinks, H&R Sport Lowering springs, WAMS 93 Octane ECM Tune

Appearance Mods: Eagle Eye Projector Headlights (Black), Dart Carbon Fiber Overlays, Full Debadge, Plastidipped Grill, Black Altezza Tail Lights, Red Interior LEDs

Comment

Originally posted by ckeelan2087 View Post
                    For the rears use: 8040-1342Sport

As for the front strut housing and why to use an extra set: You can have the strut cut, painted, install the insert, and get it ready before even jacking up the car. Lets say you take it apart, and your car is sitting with no front end and you NEED to drive somewhere.... good luck.

Lets say you mess up the cut, or something along those lines, and now you need to order an extra set, you are now going to end up waiting at least 3 days, probably longer. With no car.....
                    Exactly. use the mush between those ears; I know it may be painful to think.

Comment

Just a heads-up that Tire Rack currently has Koni's 25% off until May 31, 2014.
                      Current Mods
                      245/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE-01 R, 245/45/17 Bridgestone Blizzak WS60, Eibach springs, Debadged, Recessed upper grills, GTP rear valance, GXP exhaust, Redline Tuning QuickLifts, K&N air filter, GMPP strut tower brace, Steering wheel stereo controls, Baer Cobalt 13" front brakes, Cobalt SS 11.75" rear brakes, Stainless steel braided brake lines front & rear, Leather steering wheel, Recessed lower grills, Leather shifter handle, Leather parking brake handle, Leather console lid cover, Volant intake, PIAA H9 & H11 Xtreme White Plus headlights & driving lights, 93 octane tuned ECM & TCM, Custom painted headlights, Motorsport Tech wheel adapters, C5 Corvette 17" x 8.5" wheels, Koni Sport struts and shocks, MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor plug wires, Racingline polyurethane motor mount inserts...
                      Altered6 Progression Page

Comment

Originally posted by Altered6 View Post
                        you guys better pounce on that!

Comment

Originally posted by Altered6 View Post
                          Awesome deal! I bought all mine from Tire Rack last year when they had the same sale!
                          Mods: BMD Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs

My Progression

BMD Performance products

Comment

Thread Revival - This is a good how to thread. I just installed the rear dampers today and I'm planning to start on the front struts sometime before the weekend. I just need to find a pair of used struts housings for extra insurance in case I mess up the cuts for the inserts.
                            Roku's Mods: K&N air intake system, Eibach lowering springs, 225/45R18 Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Postion Tires, 18in OZ Ultraleggera wheels (black), Disc Italia brake pads and slotted rotors, debadged, 30% window tint, Eagle Eye headlights (black), DDM 6000K HID low headlights, Notto SE 10000K HID fog lights, LED taillights, Koni shock absorbers and front struts, Racingline strut tower bar and grounding kit, Sirius Satellite Radio, BMD front end links, BMD steel braided brake lines, Brembo four piston front brake calipers, MPD ram air hood (body color), upper and lower recessed grilles (body color) GM Ground Effects kit (body color), Hammerhead flushmount spolier (body color), Customized Pontiac Concept Dart (Black w/ Carbon Fiber), Remin carbon fiber dash kit, WAMS ECM 91 Octane Tune, Borla pro xs dual muffler exhaust with vibrant resonator
                            Roku's progression:http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...36&pagenumber=

Comment

I have a good set of used ones off from my 2008 GT, I don't know how far away you are from me but I'm sure we could work something out if you really wanted them?

Comment

I'm in the southwest part of Indy. I can find some, no problem. Thanks though.
                                Roku's Mods: K&N air intake system, Eibach lowering springs, 225/45R18 Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Postion Tires, 18in OZ Ultraleggera wheels (black), Disc Italia brake pads and slotted rotors, debadged, 30% window tint, Eagle Eye headlights (black), DDM 6000K HID low headlights, Notto SE 10000K HID fog lights, LED taillights, Koni shock absorbers and front struts, Racingline strut tower bar and grounding kit, Sirius Satellite Radio, BMD front end links, BMD steel braided brake lines, Brembo four piston front brake calipers, MPD ram air hood (body color), upper and lower recessed grilles (body color) GM Ground Effects kit (body color), Hammerhead flushmount spolier (body color), Customized Pontiac Concept Dart (Black w/ Carbon Fiber), Remin carbon fiber dash kit, WAMS ECM 91 Octane Tune, Borla pro xs dual muffler exhaust with vibrant resonator
                                Roku's progression:http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...36&pagenumber=

Comment

Working...
                                X