• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Install Koni Yellow Sport Dampers

Such a cool thread....
    Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
    Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
    WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Originally posted by Lampoon View Post
      Such a cool thread....
      I agree! - wait a few days and there will be one more with a complete setup
      Performance: WAMS, K&N 69 Series CAI, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust built with a Camaro SS Muffler and Glasspack with 4 inch double-wall stainless steel tips, Thunderbolt 8.2mm High-Performance Spark Plug Wires, NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs, Pennzoil Ultra Full Synthetic, Resonator Delete, Racingline Motor Mount Inserts, Racingline Grounding kit. (4 additional grounds from battery to front bumper for DDM tuning HIDS)

Handling: Moog Front Control Arms and Toe Ends, Racingline STB, Koni Yellow "4 Point" Suspension -Front to Rear- , Energy Suspension Poly Front Sway Bar bushings, Energy Suspension Tie-rod bushings, Energy Suspension Front Control Arm replacement mounts, Eibach Pro-kit springs, BMD Front Endlinks, Genuine Saab .9mm Rear Chamber Shims, 19mm Motorsports spacers on all 4 tires.

Stopping: Cobalt SS Front Brembo's, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted Front Rotors, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted and Drilled rear Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid, BMD Steel Braided Brake Lines, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires.

Appearance: Revotec Eagle Eye CCFL Projectors, Red Calibers, 6000k 35w DDM fogs, 6000k 55w DDM lows, LED Taillights, DDM Tuning LED Switchback Turn Signals, Konig Crown 17x7.5 Rims. 30% tint in front windows, rear windows @ 15% tint

Safety & Security: Cobra XRS 9470 Radar Detector, Experimental 2mm rear mounted camera with Bluetooth connectivity to my phone, GOSHERS Universal Blind Spot Detection System w/ LED Indicators, Waze GPS App with a windshield mount for early warning for police coupled with Radar Detector (double-whammy).

Experimental: BG 44k, BG MOA, BG ATC, Custom Transmission Cooler, Super Secret Flux-capacitor transporter, Header reflective wrap, CAI 2000 degree radiant reflective wrap.

Progression: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22823

Comment

Hey guys! - I got with Bryant about some odd ball supplies that will be needed. Hopefully these pictures help!

NOTE: the M12-1.50 40mm is actually a M10-1.50 40mm at Lowes/Home Depot. I went to Lowes and they had everything I needed. I have a cordless Dewalt handheld saw so this will speed up chopping off the struts!

Hope this helps people! - all in all this cost me about $75.

Personally I'll be starting the project today. - the Inserts arrive on Monday, I'll post pics when I get home from work when they arrive! - I can't wait!
        Last edited by Deathmage; 12-28-2013, 10:07 AM.
        Performance: WAMS, K&N 69 Series CAI, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust built with a Camaro SS Muffler and Glasspack with 4 inch double-wall stainless steel tips, Thunderbolt 8.2mm High-Performance Spark Plug Wires, NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs, Pennzoil Ultra Full Synthetic, Resonator Delete, Racingline Motor Mount Inserts, Racingline Grounding kit. (4 additional grounds from battery to front bumper for DDM tuning HIDS)

Handling: Moog Front Control Arms and Toe Ends, Racingline STB, Koni Yellow "4 Point" Suspension -Front to Rear- , Energy Suspension Poly Front Sway Bar bushings, Energy Suspension Tie-rod bushings, Energy Suspension Front Control Arm replacement mounts, Eibach Pro-kit springs, BMD Front Endlinks, Genuine Saab .9mm Rear Chamber Shims, 19mm Motorsports spacers on all 4 tires.

Stopping: Cobalt SS Front Brembo's, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted Front Rotors, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted and Drilled rear Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid, BMD Steel Braided Brake Lines, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires.

Appearance: Revotec Eagle Eye CCFL Projectors, Red Calibers, 6000k 35w DDM fogs, 6000k 55w DDM lows, LED Taillights, DDM Tuning LED Switchback Turn Signals, Konig Crown 17x7.5 Rims. 30% tint in front windows, rear windows @ 15% tint

Safety & Security: Cobra XRS 9470 Radar Detector, Experimental 2mm rear mounted camera with Bluetooth connectivity to my phone, GOSHERS Universal Blind Spot Detection System w/ LED Indicators, Waze GPS App with a windshield mount for early warning for police coupled with Radar Detector (double-whammy).

Experimental: BG 44k, BG MOA, BG ATC, Custom Transmission Cooler, Super Secret Flux-capacitor transporter, Header reflective wrap, CAI 2000 degree radiant reflective wrap.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathmage View Post

NOTE: the M12-1.50 40mm is actually a M10-1.50 40mm at Lowes/Home Depot. I went to Lowes and they had everything I needed. I have a cordless Dewalt handheld saw so this will speed up chopping off the struts!
          You try to thread it in the insert? I know mine had the 12mm, I still have that bolt and just checked it maybe yours ended up being a different size?
          Mods: BMD Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs

My Progression

BMD Performance products

Comment

Originally posted by theshibbykumquat View Post
            You try to thread it in the insert? I know mine had the 12mm, I still have that bolt and just checked it maybe yours ended up being a different size?
            Both lowes/Home Deport only had M10-1.50 40mm and M12-1.75 40mm. I can't find a M12-1.50 40mm anywere... the smallest size also for the M12 was 1.75 not 1.50.

Also won't know for sure until tomorrow when the inserts arrive.
            Last edited by Deathmage; 12-29-2013, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Gonna need the M12-1.50, that's the thread size in the bottom of the insert, only one that's gonna fit. I picked that bolt up from Autozone IIRC.
              Mods: BMD Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs

My Progression

BMD Performance products

Comment

Gonna need the M12-1.50, that's the thread size in the bottom of the insert, only one that's gonna fit. I picked that bolt up from Autozone IIRC.
                Off to Autozone....

and ooo the inserts arrived!

Last edited by Deathmage; 12-30-2013, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Good Call Bryant! - it's indeed a M12-1.5 40mm.

...the unboxing...

Comment

putting one last coat of paint of them and letting them dry....

tomorrow morning @ 7 am I'm going to get them compressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathmage View Post
                      putting one last coat of paint of them and letting them dry....

tomorrow morning @ 7 am I'm going to get them compressed.

Front's are finished and it feels so good!

the ride is amazing.... I'll write a full report in a few days. Gotta get a feel for her now...

Comment

Great thread, decided to do this.

Ordered the rears, and am looking to get some front struts to cut up, and then buy the inserts.

Not sure if i will be doing this soon, as its too cold to be working outside and i dont have a garage i can work in.... Too much BS inside it.

May just acquire everything and do it up in the springs with my rear rotors, recessed lower grills, and a couple other things im looking to do.
                        Mods: Racingline STB, Racingline grounding kit, Racingline MMI, Crabs Intake O3 w/ FPU, Redline Quicklift PLUS, Front R1Concepts Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads, BMD Adjustable Endlinks, H&R Sport Lowering springs, WAMS 93 Octane ECM Tune

Appearance Mods: Eagle Eye Projector Headlights (Black), Dart Carbon Fiber Overlays, Full Debadge, Plastidipped Grill, Black Altezza Tail Lights, Red Interior LEDs

Comment

Originally posted by ckeelan2087 View Post
                          Great thread, decided to do this.

Ordered the rears, and am looking to get some front struts to cut up, and then buy the inserts.

Not sure if i will be doing this soon, as its too cold to be working outside and i dont have a garage i can work in.... Too much BS inside it.

May just acquire everything and do it up in the springs with my rear rotors, recessed lower grills, and a couple other things im looking to do.
                          Rears are by far the easiest. Any shop can do it, they are literally plug-n-play.

fronts will have to be custom done, recommendation is to buy a junker set and cut them up. Also don't use a air-drill with the 40mm screw to suck in the insert; I learned Saturday that by doing this you run the risk of breaking the bolt like it did for me (bear in mind I broke the 40mm bolt not the Koni supplied bolt)

Also you can buy the M12-1.5 40mm bolt at Autozone they are normally on the bottom of the bolt dispenser, they cost like $2.69 and aren't even G7 grade steel so it's very soft! ~ hence why mine broke when they used it to pull the insert inside of the housing. Luckily the screwed in part of the Koni inserts on the bottom is made of hardened steel so the threads are very strong compared to the Autozone bolt; this is why the cheap bolt broke and why it was so easily removed with a little leverage.

Comment

Alrighty so today at lunch I had SEARS do a alignment on there brand-new Hawkeye system and it probably was the best alignment I've ever had. This new hawkeye has so many more options now it's nuts. The alignment guy also seemed to know his shit.

Alignment results:

Bryant recommended I go one full turn past full soft on the front but everyone is different. I'm settled on 1/2 turn past full soft and it really feel GREAT! - I've totally forgotten I have lower springs in my car now, it's like running on a pillow. I really can't talk more highly about this Complete Koni conversion than I can... all I can say is the ride is utterly amazing!

Chris just replied to my progression so I'll have the WAMS soon but gosh the car already feels like a million dollars, a tune gosh i may have a orgasm.

Tonight i was able to stay on the ass of a Audi A6 3.0T and he was trying to out-pace me but every 75+ MPH 3 lane shift he tried i was in tow the entire time and absolutely no lack of confidence in the whole ordeal. it was utterly amazing...

I won't be writing up a sheet on how I did my install, I copied Bryant's install to the letter and it turned out great. I'm still in shock at how awesome my car felt tonight even with the 15 mph crosswind on I-87/I-84 on my 1:30 ride back from the Corporate office in Moonachie, NJ.

If you guys want something that will truly make your car stand-out; do this conversion....

Bryant, thanks again my friend. I love that you had to be the pilot program this is by far the best thing for our G6's....
                            Last edited by Deathmage; 01-06-2014, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Awesome stuff man, sounds great. I love my car, the tune is amazing. Just did a 120 pull coming home from work, and came around a corner to a NY trooper stopped behind a car probably for speeding, smashed the brakes for a second and played it cool rolling past him doing 80 lol

Havent been scared like that for a little.

Only thing i dislike about my car is how it is so stiff feeling on bumps, hopefully these help that.

Agreed with Trevor, you did a great job with this write up Bryant!
                              Mods: Racingline STB, Racingline grounding kit, Racingline MMI, Crabs Intake O3 w/ FPU, Redline Quicklift PLUS, Front R1Concepts Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads, BMD Adjustable Endlinks, H&R Sport Lowering springs, WAMS 93 Octane ECM Tune

Appearance Mods: Eagle Eye Projector Headlights (Black), Dart Carbon Fiber Overlays, Full Debadge, Plastidipped Grill, Black Altezza Tail Lights, Red Interior LEDs

Comment

Glad to see you went through with this and that you're enjoying them! I wouldn't really say it makes the car feel any less stiff, just helps to keep the ride smooth and in control with stiffer springs... This really just started out for me as an experiment trying to see if it would work, but it came out great and really makes a huge difference.

My Progression

BMD Performance products

Comment

Working...
                                X