Feds told GM to drop Pontiac...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feds told GM to drop Pontiac...

When General Motors shut down Pontiac, it left a lot of enthusiasts wondering why. It was primed with a lineup of powerful, rear-wheel drive models, and seemed like it had a bright future ahead of it. It turns out that GM killed it on government orders, according to former GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz.

Re: Feds told GM to drop Pontiac...

It is old news. The Feds wanted GM to drop Pontiac because it had been bleeding red ink for years. They don't want GM to risk their bail-out money on a new marketing venture. The government is not in the car business. They only focused on GM's long term survivability. Too bad though since Pontiac was on a turn-around and could have been a rising star in GM's portfolio.

If Pontiac continued as a niche performance brand with true sport-oriented RWD or AWD vehicles instead of mostly re-badges, I would have been a loyal customer for life. Chevys and Buicks are as boring as Toyotas and Hondas.

Comment

Unfortunately, Pontiac had no special cars really besides the G8 and the G6 coupe. Everything else was a rebadge of something. Ok, Pontiac had the Solstice first but then the Saturn Sky came along. G3 was a Chevy Aveo, G5 was a Colbolt, G6 was a Malibu, Torrent was an Equinox. And now the G8 because the car has reached its refresh cycle GM is aloud to rebadge it without facing franchise issues from shutting down Pontiac to sell it as the Chevy SS. Only car they didn't save was the Solstice because its plant in Delaware was sold and at the end the Solstice had the biggest surplus with slow sells then any other GM product. So at the end of the day GM lost nothing by shutting Pontiac down.
      2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
      Gotta have it Green color
      Brembo brake package
      420 HP 5.0L
      Ford Racing Power Pack
      GT500 track pack differential cover
      BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

The article mentioned Pontiac was on its way to an all RWD lineup. Apparently the feds wants GM to only run Chevy and Cadillac. "One prestige brand, one mass market brand"

Sad either way, Pontiac did seem to start climbing back into greatness. Oh well.

But it is true they wasted a bunch of years just re-branding other GM cars, had they made more effort earlier on perhaps we'd still have Pontiac being produced today.

Hopefully we'll get a reboot... haha
        Last edited by CruisinG6; 10-27-2013, 01:43 AM.

Comment

It's hard to take Pontiac seriously as a performance division with vehicles like the G3, G5, Vibe, Montana, and the Aztek.

Comment

Yea. All fairly awful vehicles. I actually have yet to see a G3 anywhere that isn't a dealership.

Comment

Never even heard of the G3, just googled it and needless to say.... Its horrid.

Why pontiac, why?!?!

Should have stuck to GTO, G8, G6, performance cars....
              Mods: Racingline STB, Racingline grounding kit, Racingline MMI, Crabs Intake O3 w/ FPU, Redline Quicklift PLUS, Front R1Concepts Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads, BMD Adjustable Endlinks, H&R Sport Lowering springs, WAMS 93 Octane ECM Tune

Appearance Mods: Eagle Eye Projector Headlights (Black), Dart Carbon Fiber Overlays, Full Debadge, Plastidipped Grill, Black Altezza Tail Lights, Red Interior LEDs

Comment

I dont think Pontiac would have gone all RWD. CAFE regulations would make it hard as cars get better MPG in a FWD platform. The issue with the GTO was slow sales and would hurt Camaro sales today and this the first time ever the Camaro has out sold the Mustang and has every year since 2010. And they could keep the G6 coupe as a Malibu coupe but all mid size coupe sales suck and only mid size coupe still being sold is the Accord. Eclipse is done, Altima coupe all done due to poor sales
                Last edited by dre256; 10-27-2013, 04:51 PM.

2013 Mustang GT
                Brembo brake package
                420 HP 5.0L
                Ford Racing Power Pack

Comment

Good point. I forgot about the regulations pushing for MPGs

Comment

If Pontiac was to become a performance division obviously fuel economy will suffer. That's why I was a good idea for GM to make it a premium niche brand instead of a mass market brand like Chevrolet. They don't need to sell in large volume to affect CAFE. They don't need a wide range of models, and they could be sold in Chevrolet dealerships instead of a separate network.

Comment

Originally posted by mrslcom View Post
                      If Pontiac was to become a performance division obviously fuel economy will suffer. That's why I was a good idea for GM to make it a premium niche brand instead of a mass market brand like Chevrolet. They don't need to sell in large volume to affect CAFE. They don't need a wide range of models, and they could be sold in Chevrolet dealerships instead of a separate network.
                      that could have worked making it into a small ninche brand and sell through Chevy or GMC network. I just dont know the franchise laws if that would be legal with a preexisting Pontiac network to drop them all and shelter them into another network.

2013 Mustang GT
                      Brembo brake package
                      420 HP 5.0L
                      Ford Racing Power Pack

Comment

Originally posted by dre256 View Post
                        that could have worked making it into a small ninche brand and sell through Chevy or GMC network. I just dont know the franchise laws if that would be legal with a preexisting Pontiac network to drop them all and shelter them into another network.
                        It may not be feasible under the old GM network. But after the bankruptcy, the new GM emerges as an entirely new company and can technically restructure its entire operation from scratch.

Comment

the gtp may have had the same engine as a malibu ss but is drove nothing like the malibue ss to me. I test trove both cars and the g6 gtp was way more sleek, had a way more sprty performance inspired interior and sounded a lot better. the biggest difference was the handeling of the gtp. it handled completely different from the malibu and and the gt/v6 models. from switching lanes to corning it had a tight gokart sporty feel. when I talked to a tech at the dealer he said it's because the gtp model was built with a different axle/wheel angle or something along those lines to give it a more sporty tight handling feel.

Comment

Heritage and Nostalgia are both big deals, ask MOPAR and the people making $40-100k a pop on vintage steel.

Seems like Pontiac will probably be remembered in the same light as Nash, AMC, or Oldsmobile... Once great brands that were let go because of lack-luster sales and/or quality brought on by years of neglect and poor management.

My Progression Page: click here

Comment

I am in hopes since GM kept the name that they are planning to resurrect Pontiac when the economy is better aka no more Obama.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/WS6Racing" Totaly Badged 2006 Red GT Loaded
                              Originally posted by [i
                              Nancy Reagan[/i]]"Theres no such thing as a stupid question, theres just stupid people that ask questions" 1987

Comment

Working...
                              X