• Show
Clear All

• ***Review: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Tires***

Brand: Michelin

Price: $186 each + shipping included.

Purchased From: Discount Tire Direct

Installation: A breeze...

Review:

These tires perform extremely well. Even when the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus were new I don't remember them having this much grip, precision, and handling characteristics. The tires really stick to the pavement, instead of the A/S Pluses having 1 groove down the middle of silica grip these A/S 3's have 4 distinctive and wide silica grooves with Sunflower Seed Oil (which has a molecule reaction with asphalt pavement and the rubber for a high "sticky" reaction) which translate to excellent confidence when stepping on the gas.

Acceleration - As stated above since there is now 4 grooves of grip on this tires the launch is flawless, the A/S Plus tended to jerk to the left and right at launch under high acceleration, now it's completely gone. I felt I gained at-least 5-10 whp just from the higher level of rubber on the road. I'm not saying that A/S Plus failed at life, they are amazing tires but these A/S 3's far superior and improve on the areas of the previous generation. Off-the-launch is superb, I could only imagine what this would do for a AWD sports car.

Stopping - These tires truly do stick to the payment in dry and ultra-wet scenarios which help for the "oo shit" braking moments, but all Michelin tires so far have done this well, these tires just solidified this fact even more (it's hard to explain you can feel it). My A/S Plus had a good 5k left on them for mileage, but considering winter is upon us I didn't want to chance it, this being said they handled wet and dry braking very well, but these A/S 3 tires are giving me a "wow" feeling! ....The confidence is amazing!

Handling - Lets put it this way coming into work this morning, I had to whip the car from the right lane to the left lane and then back to the right lane in about 3 seconds since some moron thought it would cool to brake suddenly when he was going 75 mph. I saw this fucker texting through his rear view window and I was very keen and alert since I knew this was going to happen. Anyways I jerks from lane to lane @ 70 mph with such precision and grace it was amazing.

The Eibach's plus the BMD endlinks and ES bushing really made the feeling of the tires working to there fullest in that instance but the tires lateral grip and sidewalls felt just amazingly confident. I had a BMW follow my ass the whole way to work and then you could clear see him pass me and look over my car since this guy was in shock at how well a Pontiac handled that maneuver at speed (his 535i struggled in that reaction maneuver, you could see he didn't have good sidewalls). If I did that maneuver with the A/S Plus it would handle it, but it only had one groove of silica, it always struggled and had to use two hands firmly; but with the 3's I can do it one handed perfectly fine.

Cornering - Hands down amazing, the lateral grip and sidewalls on Michelin tires are clearly the best in the industry and it shows! The grip is noticeably better than the Pluses.

In Conclusion: I drove the shit out of these tires the past 72 hours and they perform so well, better than expected. Each times getting out of the car my ass has this tingly feeling like "wow can I do that again". I spent the extra money as always for these Pilot's because for the past 4 years I've used them they keep impressing me on what I can do with my Pontiac. They truly set the bar for what is expected of a High-Performance Low Profile All-Season Tires. This winter will be very interesting, since these tires are impregnated with sunflower seed oil which at low temps creates excellent grip on cold and icy pavement. I recommend these to everyone that wants a 4 season tires that perform in dry, rain, snow/ice. These tires finally outpace my summer Michelin SuperSport tires and that's amazing!
    Last edited by Deathmage; 09-13-2013, 11:13 AM.
    Performance: WAMS, K&N 69 Series CAI, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust built with a Camaro SS Muffler and Glasspack with 4 inch double-wall stainless steel tips, Thunderbolt 8.2mm High-Performance Spark Plug Wires, NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs, Pennzoil Ultra Full Synthetic, Resonator Delete, Racingline Motor Mount Inserts, Racingline Grounding kit. (4 additional grounds from battery to front bumper for DDM tuning HIDS)

Handling: Moog Front Control Arms and Toe Ends, Racingline STB, Koni Yellow "4 Point" Suspension -Front to Rear- , Energy Suspension Poly Front Sway Bar bushings, Energy Suspension Tie-rod bushings, Energy Suspension Front Control Arm replacement mounts, Eibach Pro-kit springs, BMD Front Endlinks, Genuine Saab .9mm Rear Chamber Shims, 19mm Motorsports spacers on all 4 tires.

Stopping: Cobalt SS Front Brembo's, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted Front Rotors, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted and Drilled rear Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid, BMD Steel Braided Brake Lines, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires.

Appearance: Revotec Eagle Eye CCFL Projectors, Red Calibers, 6000k 35w DDM fogs, 6000k 55w DDM lows, LED Taillights, DDM Tuning LED Switchback Turn Signals, Konig Crown 17x7.5 Rims. 30% tint in front windows, rear windows @ 15% tint

Safety & Security: Cobra XRS 9470 Radar Detector, Experimental 2mm rear mounted camera with Bluetooth connectivity to my phone, GOSHERS Universal Blind Spot Detection System w/ LED Indicators, Waze GPS App with a windshield mount for early warning for police coupled with Radar Detector (double-whammy).

Experimental: BG 44k, BG MOA, BG ATC, Custom Transmission Cooler, Super Secret Flux-capacitor transporter, Header reflective wrap, CAI 2000 degree radiant reflective wrap.

Progression: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22823

Re: ***Review: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Tires***

Sounds weird at first, but sunflower seed oil is less viscous in cold compared to other oils. That's why it is a popular choice for salad dressing!

Makes me wonder if the tire wouldn't become "greasy" after a burnout (increased heat).

My Progression Page: click here

Comment

Working...
    X