Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hello brembo brothers. lets talk pads

Originally posted by Deathmage View Post
    so braided brake lines really do nothing?

let me ask this, if I'm going to bleed my brake fluid and replace it with ATe Super Blue, does it make sense to replace the lines with the ones from BMD at the same time?
    Super Blue is a great fluid for the money, I use it on all my vehicles... Also I think the lines make a difference, but I also might be biased Check out the reviews from members who have them though if youre curious as to what people think after purchasing them
    Mods: BMD Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs

My Progression

BMD Performance products

Comment

Originally posted by theshibbykumquat View Post
      Super Blue is a great fluid for the money, I use it on all my vehicles... Also I think the lines make a difference, but I also might be biased Check out the reviews from members who have them though if youre curious as to what people think after purchasing them
      The problem is no one flushes their brake lines before install. They see gains, not so much from the lines, but from the new fluid....
      1972 F100
      1978 Twinstar
      1992 Miata
      2014 Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by JJT*90 View Post
        The problem is no one flushes their brake lines before install. They see gains, not so much from the lines, but from the new fluid....
        I had clean fluid in my lines before I put them on but like I said you cant really know for sure unless you have them, Im sure others who flush their brake fluid regularly have installed them
        Mods: BMD Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs

My Progression

BMD Performance products

Comment

I had clean fluid in my lines before I put them on but like I said you cant really know for sure unless you have them, Im sure others who flush their brake fluid regularly have installed them
          The only way to test them is to flush the fluid drive, then install and drive again. Fluid should be changed every year for a reason. Or if someone wants to hook up a pressure tester I might start believing your sales pitch.
          1972 F100
          1978 Twinstar
          1992 Miata
          2014 Mustang

Comment

The only way to test them is to flush the fluid drive, then install and drive again. Fluid should be changed every year for a reason. Or if someone wants to hook up a pressure tester I might start believing your sales pitch.
            To each their own. Id gladly do the testing if I had the equipment, But honestly a pressure test would show nothing since you will still achieve the same pedal pressure either way, just at reduced pedal travel with the stainless lines...

My Progression

BMD Performance products

Comment

To each their own. Id gladly do the testing if I had the equipment, But honestly a pressure test would show nothing since you will still achieve the same pedal pressure either way, just at reduced pedal travel with the stainless lines...
              I was referring to fluid pressure in the lines....
              1972 F100
              1978 Twinstar
              1992 Miata
              2014 Mustang

Comment

I was referring to fluid pressure in the lines....
                What about it? Pressure in the lines is going to be the same based on pedal pressure regardless if you have stainless lines or not. Though you will achieve the same pressure with less pedal travel with the stainless lines since they dont swell as much as rubber ones.

My Progression

BMD Performance products

Comment

What about it? Pressure in the lines is going to be the same based on pedal pressure regardless if you have stainless lines or not. Though you will achieve the same pressure with less pedal travel with the stainless lines since they dont swell as much as rubber ones.
                  That makes no sense. If our rubber lines are swelling pressure will drop and if your lines prevent that pressure should be higher. If pressure isn't higher there isn't any performance gain. So are you admitting there is no performance gains with steel lines?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
                  1972 F100
                  1978 Twinstar
                  1992 Miata
                  2014 Mustang

Comment

The pressures would be the same. But there is more to the equation. I could stomp on my stock brakes and achieve the same pressure in the lines as my brembos. But it requires much less force to brake on my end with the better caliper. It is the same with braided lines. More "feel" from the brakes and less effort required. When you push hard on rubber lines they expand, increasing the volume of the braking system and reducing the effective force on the pads. Now I will agree the overall performance is probably very small but it is there. Also braided lines are stronger and less prone to failure and will not dry rot.

ISimple Ipod adapter, Heat wrapped Injen, CRABs Option 3, ?% Tint, 6000K HIDs,GT-R, Tinted Tails, Rear badge delete, Plastidiped grills and front dart, Brembos, Pulse p5 17"s, racingline MMIs

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan5150 View Post
                      The pressures would be the same. But there is more to the equation.

Pressure will not be the same. If the rubber lines swell pressure will drop. For example, fill an air compressor to 100 psi, then turn the pump off, assuming there are no leaks the the tank will maintain the 100 psi. Now take 150 feet of air line and plug it into the quick disconnect. Pressure in the tank will drop. Why? because you have now increased the volume that the same amount of air occupies. Now instead of 100 psi you may only have 95 psi.

Your brakes are very much the same. Your master cylinder is putting out the same volume of fluid. Which in turn creates a certain amount of pressure in the brake system. Now if the the rubber lines are swelling the pressure will be lower, because there is now more room for the fluid to occupy. This is where the steel brake lines are supposedly giving you more performance. However the performance increase would be small, which makes the mod very cost ineffective.

I could stomp on my stock brakes and achieve the same pressure in the lines as my brembos. But it requires much less force to brake on my end with the better caliper.

No. Brembos offer their performance gains in different ways. For one they are larger. They take longer to get hot, and once they get hot, they cool faster do to the increased surface area. This reduces brake fade. Second is a principle called hydraulic multiplication. Basically its taking a smaller in diameter cylinder and using a piston to push another piston in a larger diameter cylinder. The larger diameter piston doesn't move as far, but it moves with much greater force than the smaller diameter piston. The Brembos use 4 pistons with a combined surface area greater than the single piston in the stock caliper which gives you more breaking force.

It is the same with braided lines. More "feel" from the brakes and less effort required. When you push hard on rubber lines they expand, increasing the volume of the braking system and reducing the effective force on the pads.

The force on the pads is reduced, because the pressure in the lines is reduced.

Now I will agree the overall performance is probably very small but it is there. Also braided lines are stronger and less prone to failure and will not dry rot.
                      I hold to my statements earlier in the thread and really you just mostly agreed with me. The performance gains are very small.

All things being equal a G6 with steel lines vs a G6 with rubber lines will be able to stop in the same distance. Let me ask you this? Can you lock up your brakes activating ABS? If so you don't need anymore pressure in your brake lines, because more breaking force won't do you any good. You have already overpowered the tires' ability to maintain traction at this point and your ABS system is now active to to actually remove some of the pressure then maintain braking by cycling line pressure.

Now most people install their steel lines and swear their brakes are much better. As I have said, I completely agree that their brakes are probably a lot better. However its not from the lines themselves. Its from the new fluid. Brake fluid absorbs water, which lowers the boiling point of the fluid. Once the fluid gets hot it boils and now you have steam in your brake lines. Steam compresses really easy, which drops the pressure in your brake line significantly.

If your brake fluid is more than a year old, and your are unhappy with how your brake pedal feels. Also if your brakes are in good condition. the best thing to do is flush your brake lines out with new fluid. For $25 you can improve your brakes tremendously.
                      1972 F100
                      1978 Twinstar
                      1992 Miata
                      2014 Mustang

Comment

I never said stainless lines would stop you any shorter than with rubber lines. I also never said that you will achieve higher pressures with stainless lines, because you can’t. Brake line pressure depends on how much force you’re putting on the brake pedal.

The benefit from stainless lines comes as follows… at any given pressure, the brake pedal will require less travel to achieve that same pressure.

Think of it this way. If you have a balloon and a steel jar of about the same volume initially and you want to pressurize them both to the same pressure, which one will require more volume? As you try to pressurize the balloon it will begin to expand and it will require more volume to achieve the pressure you’re trying to reach. On the other hand, a rigid object like the steel jar expands negligibly under pressure, and it will accordingly require a much smaller volume to reach the same pressure.

Since the rubber brake lines expand they require a greater volume of brake fluid to achieve a given pressure, this translates to longer pedal travel. Likewise, stainless lines are more rigid and don’t expand as much so they will require a smaller volume to reach the same pressure, this means less pedal travel.

This shorter pedal travel is what gives the high pedal height and firmness that people rave about with stainless lines.

I don’t have anything else to say, as this is how they work plain and simple. I and all those who actually have them can attest to the fact. Honestly, since you don’t have them you can say all you want but you’re really just speculating about something you have no experience with and have no proof to actually back up your claims. If you don’t think stainless lines are right for you then I understand, but don’t make claims with no proof. Later.

My Progression

BMD Performance products

Comment

I have the Brembo upgrade and I used the Brembo pads in front and EBC red stuff in the rear. So far excellent stopping power and way better pad life than I was expecting especially considering I am using dimpled and slotted EBC sport rotors (front & rear). I am probably 6 months away from needing new pads, at that time my old pads will have been on there for 3 years and almost 40k miles! I would be happy just replacing with the same but I am considering EBC red stuff alll the way around or doing more research on Hawk pads, but either way I don't want to do something that will ware my rotors faster.

Comment

Originally posted by SanduskyG6 View Post
                            I have the Brembo upgrade and I used the Brembo pads in front and EBC red stuff in the rear. So far excellent stopping power and way better pad life than I was expecting especially considering I am using dimpled and slotted EBC sport rotors (front & rear). I am probably 6 months away from needing new pads, at that time my old pads will have been on there for 3 years and almost 40k miles! I would be happy just replacing with the same but I am considering EBC red stuff alll the way around or doing more research on Hawk pads, but either way I don't want to do something that will ware my rotors faster.
                            I have Hawk HPS pads in front and rear and they work very well with the Brembo's up front. they are grade FFFF on the pads.
                            Performance: WAMS, K&N 69 Series CAI, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust built with a Camaro SS Muffler and Glasspack with 4 inch double-wall stainless steel tips, Thunderbolt 8.2mm High-Performance Spark Plug Wires, NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs, Pennzoil Ultra Full Synthetic, Resonator Delete, Racingline Motor Mount Inserts, Racingline Grounding kit. (4 additional grounds from battery to front bumper for DDM tuning HIDS)

Handling: Moog Front Control Arms and Toe Ends, Racingline STB, Koni Yellow "4 Point" Suspension -Front to Rear- , Energy Suspension Poly Front Sway Bar bushings, Energy Suspension Tie-rod bushings, Energy Suspension Front Control Arm replacement mounts, Eibach Pro-kit springs, BMD Front Endlinks, Genuine Saab .9mm Rear Chamber Shims, 19mm Motorsports spacers on all 4 tires.

Stopping: Cobalt SS Front Brembo's, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted Front Rotors, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted and Drilled rear Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid, BMD Steel Braided Brake Lines, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires.

Appearance: Revotec Eagle Eye CCFL Projectors, Red Calibers, 6000k 35w DDM fogs, 6000k 55w DDM lows, LED Taillights, DDM Tuning LED Switchback Turn Signals, Konig Crown 17x7.5 Rims. 30% tint in front windows, rear windows @ 15% tint

Safety & Security: Cobra XRS 9470 Radar Detector, Experimental 2mm rear mounted camera with Bluetooth connectivity to my phone, GOSHERS Universal Blind Spot Detection System w/ LED Indicators, Waze GPS App with a windshield mount for early warning for police coupled with Radar Detector (double-whammy).

Experimental: BG 44k, BG MOA, BG ATC, Custom Transmission Cooler, Super Secret Flux-capacitor transporter, Header reflective wrap, CAI 2000 degree radiant reflective wrap.

Progression: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22823

Comment

+1 on the Hawks - 3 years and 100k+ with R1 slotted and dimpled rotors

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                              CRABS WAMS MPD GT-R Brembos and stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X