Replace the Turn Signal Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Replace the Turn Signal Switch

It seems to be pretty common for the Turn Signal switch to stop canceling after a turn. Nowadays the turn signal switch can be replaced without having the pull the steering wheel. The switch itself isn't fairly expensive and can be purchased from amazon for less than $30

The Part Number is: 20940369

First I'll outline removing the old switch, Replacing the new one is just the same steps in reverse.
    Then I'll point out the weakness in these switches.

Tools Needed:

- 7mm Socket/Nut Driver

- Flathead Screwdriver

To make it easier, tilt the steering wheel as far down as possible, and pull it as far out as possible:

Now to pop off the top cover. It just snaps on, I found it easy to grab it by the edges from each stalk hole and just pop it up:

Once open you'll see all the wires and switches, Amazing how much crud settles down in there:

Next you'll need to remove the lower cover. It is held in place with 3 7mm bolts.

Once the bolts are removed you can either just let it hang, or wiggle it out. It's not too difficult to get it passed the tilt lever:

It's also worth noting those bolts are screwed into plastic, When it comes time to replace everything you don't need to tighten these down very much. It's just a plastic cover after all.

Now the switch is held in with two clips only. One on top, one on the bottom:

You can just take a screwdriver to each little opening and push them inward to release the clips:

On mine, when I pushed the clip down it clicked in place and stayed down:

Once the clips are released you can just pull it straight out, there's enough slack in the wires to get it all the way out:

I found when replacing the new switch I had to pop each clip up again to lock it in place.

There are two connectors to unplug.
    The left one you need to pull the black clip outwards as you unplug the connector, and the right one you just simply push the locking clip in as you pull it out:

And now the old switch is removed and you are ready for the new switch.
    Next I'll describe how these work and where the obvious flaw is.

So here is the entire turn signal switch:

If we look on the business end that sits inside the column we see a little white tab just inside the opening:

--For the next few photos I flicked the switch to signal a RIGHT turn--
    When you move the lever to signal a turn that little white clip sticks out:

Now, when you make a turn there is an extra but of plastic that sits on the steering column that moves with the steering wheel:

Here's a quick video showing that in motion to give you a better idea:
    ~Video~

It's this plastic piece that catches the white tab on the switch to cancel the signal

With the signal set to show a right turn the tab can be pushed upwards (during the right turn) and it simply just hides away into the switch housing:

But when the steering wheel comes back to the left, It'll hit that plastic tab and catch and then cancel the signal.

If I push a little harder on the tab, it would cancel the signal and then pop back into the housing.

It is this little white plastic tab and what it connects to inside the switch that breaks. Usually I found what breaks the tab is holding the switch through a turn, Say if you're going through a double turn and you want to signal for both, instead of letting it cancel some people will hold it down as the steering wheel comes back. If you do this you'll hear a louder click, and that can break the tab.
    Last edited by CruisinG6; 06-29-2018, 10:40 PM.

Re: HOW TO - Replace the Turn Signal Switch

Bravo! Well done!
    Current Mods
    245/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE-01 R, 245/45/17 Bridgestone Blizzak WS60, Eibach springs, Debadged, Recessed upper grills, GTP rear valance, GXP exhaust, Redline Tuning QuickLifts, K&N air filter, GMPP strut tower brace, Steering wheel stereo controls, Baer Cobalt 13" front brakes, Cobalt SS 11.75" rear brakes, Stainless steel braided brake lines front & rear, Leather steering wheel, Recessed lower grills, Leather shifter handle, Leather parking brake handle, Leather console lid cover, Volant intake, PIAA H9 & H11 Xtreme White Plus headlights & driving lights, 93 octane tuned ECM & TCM, Custom painted headlights, Motorsport Tech wheel adapters, C5 Corvette 17" x 8.5" wheels, Koni Sport struts and shocks, MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor plug wires, Racingline polyurethane motor mount inserts...
    Altered6 Progression Page

Comment

Well done repair instructions!

Something that wasn't mentioned (or if it was I missed it) is that the switch design has changed. If your G6 is old enough you'll need more bits than a replacement switch.

I lucked out, and replacement was a five minute job. I took my old switch apart afterwards. I don't know if there's more than one failure mode, but the bit that's broken in mine isn't that flimsy looking tab, but a flimsy toggle gizmo further inside. Here's a pic:

--
      Helge

Comment

My switch is broken, how do I know what switch I need? 2006 g6 gtp 3.9L, rockauto has a few different choices, I'm guessing ones marked with "hearts" are switches owners have been purchasing. Haven't found any info on if I need the newer/older type of switch, thanks!
        Mods: Matte Black Plasti-Dip on Wheels, Upper Grille, GM/Trunk Emblems, Dupli-Color Red Calipers, Intake Res Delete, Crab Intake #3, Flush Mount Spoiler, AVS Rain Guards, Black Lower Recessed Grilles, Map/Dome Red LED's.
        Fixes: Sunroof Leak, Misc Interior Trim, Vanity Mirrors, Door Weather Stripping, Front Wheel Barrings, Control Arms, Lower Ball Joints, Tie Rod Ends.

Comment

The one I see with a heart looks like the proper one. I never knew anything about a conversion GM has for the columns.

Going by photos it looks as if they all fit the same. Interesting to see the prices have come down.

Comment

Going to try to explain this. What if I were to keep my broken switch but just adjust it somehow. To make it fully manual.

Say I go to turn left, I push down, sometimes it wants to stay down and sometimes I have to hold it down so it will keep blinking. Otherwise I have to quickly push the signal up and then down again to get it to stay down. I believe the broken plastic piece inside is catching and not letting the switch fall into place. Of course after each turn I have to manually reset it. I'm curious to see if I could remove whatever piece that is in there and make it fully manual.
            Mods: Matte Black Plasti-Dip on Wheels, Upper Grille, GM/Trunk Emblems, Dupli-Color Red Calipers, Intake Res Delete, Crab Intake #3, Flush Mount Spoiler, AVS Rain Guards, Black Lower Recessed Grilles, Map/Dome Red LED's.
            Fixes: Sunroof Leak, Misc Interior Trim, Vanity Mirrors, Door Weather Stripping, Front Wheel Barrings, Control Arms, Lower Ball Joints, Tie Rod Ends.

Comment

You can try popping the switch out and cracking it open. Or maybe simply cutting off the white tab I showed would do it.
              Then it won't even touch the steering wheel so you'd have to control it.
              I think cutting the tab should make it stay up or down. But if there's some other damage to it internally then I can't be absolutely sure

Comment

Yeah sounds good, I'm hoping to do this in a couple days, I post my findings! Thanks!

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Removed the 4 screws.

I had already removed the little white switch.

There is the little white switch I removed to make it fully manual and pulled off that black plate.

This is the piece that broke, found and removed the corner that I could hear rattling around when I shook it.

Surprise I didn't do this long ago, this will save me from holding down the signal or having to reset it and then press the signal! I totally don't mind that it's manual!

Comment

Heh nice, just remember to cancel em!

Comment

Photobucket has randomly decided to charge $400 a year for third party hosting of images. As a result my pictures are blocked. I am working on a solution to keep this post going.

Comment

Working...
                        X