TSB 1883010 -Intermediate shaft out of position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TSB 1883010 -Intermediate shaft out of position

Symptoms- noise and vibration in steering when going over bumps while cornering.

Fix- Reposition intermediate shaft and lube.
    2009 Panther Black G8 GT
    334 WHP 347 WTQ

is this noise like in the suspension? Cause my right tire squeeks going over bumps
    BCG Member #1::G6er Elite

Comment

Originally posted by reubenk
      is this noise like in the suspension? Cause my right tire squeeks going over bumps
      intermediate shaft is in the steering column between the steering wheel and the steering box.

Comment

Document ID# 1908287
        2006 Pontiac G6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Rack Rattle Noise After Bulletin 06-02-32-007 - keywords bump clunk column electronic input int intermittent low noise power rack rattle shaft speed steer steering suspension #PIC4294A - (02/20/2007)

Models: 2004-2006 Chevrolet Malibu/Maxx

2005-2006 Pontiac G6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to update repair procedures. Please discard PIC4294.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
        There have been incoming reports that after Bulletin 06-02-32-007 (Knock, Clunk or Rattle Type Noise From Front of Vehicle While Driving) was performed the noise was corrected for only a short period of time. The clunk noise can be heard best stopped or at slow speeds while turning. The noise can be duplicated with the vehicle sitting still and turning the wheel past 90 degrees in either direction and then as the steering wheel is returned to center the noise will occur. The noise probably sounds like it's coming from the I-shaft area or the base of the steering column.

Recommendation/Instructions:
        Correction:

remove steering column close out panel to gain access to the I shaft to steering column coupler.
        remove I shaft bolt. Either install a new bolt, P/N 7845238, or clean the bolt threads and apply thread locker, P/N 12345382 (in Canada, use P/N 10953489), or equivalent. clean threads of bolt and apply 3M thread locking compound (blue).
        Cycle the I shaft 10-15 times and then reinstall the coupler to the steering column and tighten the bolt to 49 N·m (36 lb ft).
        Spray GM Superlube, p/n 12346241, into the gap between the inner and outer shafts of the I-shaft for about 2-3 seconds. Wipe off any excess lubricant that runs down the outer shaft.
        Evaluate if the noise concern is eliminated, if it is install the close out cover.
        If the noise is still present, raise the vehicle and loosen (DO NOT REMOVE) the I shaft couple bolt to the rack. Pry in-between the rack and the I shaft coupler as the bolt is torqued to 49 N·m (36 lb ft). This is to ensure that the I shaft coupler in not clamping on the beveled area of the coupler.
        Revaluate if the noise concern ha been repaired.
        If the noise still exists replace the I shaft p/n 22687711.
        Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
        WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
        Here we......GO! 06 G6 GTP M6 coupe, performance package.(Fully loaded for 06). stealth gray metallic or 59U - GRANITE METALLIC. GM Peformance strut bar, Hammer Head Spoiler, GM Body Kit, Chrome Lower Grille Inserts, MSD Dash Hawk, Head Light Eye Lids, HID Conversion-10,000K. ZEX Nitrous Kit 75 Shot-Wet. (New Add On!)

If I had something smart to say, I would be smart enough not too!

Comment

I took my wifes G6 into the shop today to have this issue looked at. It was solved by lubing the I-shaft and so far no more clunk. Still have an issue with an odd niose when turning the wheel from side to side when sitting still. This issue sounds like it is coming from the rack and will be taken it back in to be looked.

Comment

Working...
          X