GXP hammar head spoiler!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GXP hammar head spoiler!

Any idea how much downforce it makes?! Or if it hurts fuel milage?

Re: GXP hammar head spoiler!

Fwd cars don't really want rear downforce, shifts the weight off the drive wheels and you would lose traction at higher speeds. Still new to the g6 myself but I think that's one of the factory option spoilers right? I think that's what's on mine and I'm getting better than the rated 28 mpg for highway when I have the cruise set at 65 or 70. So as for downforce I don't think pontiac would put something that could possible make you lose traction. Ofcourse I can't say that as a definite the old lumina z34 with the factory wing used to lift the back of the car off the ground at 100+. And mpg I don't think it has any effect just appearance.

Comment

Yep. Pretty much that wing is just for looks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
      1972 F100
      1978 Twinstar
      1992 Miata
      2014 Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by JJT*90 View Post
        Yep. Pretty much that wing is just for looks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
        I can verify no change in fuel economy..

sent from my wireless telegraph machine
        Last edited by cmessick; 05-01-2013, 12:10 PM.

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Comment

Originally posted by cmessick View Post
          I can verify no change in furl economy..

sent from my wireless telegraph machine
          Are you bringing this sexy beast down this weekend? I heard a rumor this morning that we might be back in the running.
          1972 F100
          1978 Twinstar
          1992 Miata
          2014 Mustang

Comment

Performance will not be gained from this spoiler, or any spoiler really, for daily driving. Some may in fact hinder your performance and MPG with drag, I can't attest to whether or not this does as I do not have one but I avg 33mpg on the highway at 78mph w/out a spoiler so let that be your judge.

Originally posted by Drakon543 View Post
            Fwd cars don't really want rear downforce, shifts the weight off the drive wheels and you would lose traction at higher speeds. Still new to the g6 myself but I think that's one of the factory option spoilers right? I think that's what's on mine and I'm getting better than the rated 28 mpg for highway when I have the cruise set at 65 or 70. So as for downforce I don't think pontiac would put something that could possible make you lose traction. Ofcourse I can't say that as a definite the old lumina z34 with the factory wing used to lift the back of the car off the ground at 100+. And mpg I don't think it has any effect just appearance.
            From your avatar pic, looks like you have the lower profile Hammer Head spoiler. There is also a taller one that has the 3rd break light encompassed in it.

Car Domain | ForeverPontiac.com | Progression

Originally posted by WoodburyMan
            G6Performance - now with TWO Hampsters!

Comment

I do have the wing with the 3rd brake light. It you look at the wing the top is flat and has a raised lip at the rear and the bottom is curved... That creates down pressure like a wing on airplane that creates lift! It may be minor put i'd make a random guess and expect 50 pounds of down force at 65??? idk lol

Comment

Doing 65mph with your FWD car, you do not need downforce from your rear spoiler lol. For downforce to be actually helpful you would be needing to exceed any legal speed limit posted or going unnecessarily fast around a bend, in any matter the G6 is still FWD so your "downforce" isn't at the wheels you need the most grip and doubt the Hammer Head actually provides what is needed. The drag coefficient on a spoiler in daily driving conditions is larger than any performance benefit that you gain from having one (because it's very very minimal).

Back way when I was in high school, we did the math behind the "downforce" in daily driving conditions and the drag coefficient of a normal mid-size sedan (such as the G6). The math was not convincing and the teacher ended up making fun of some kid who stated his huge ricer wing helped him and that math is BS, still baffles me how said kid managed to get into an AP glass but that is neither here nor there...

I am not a huge fan of tall spoilers, I prefer deck lid spoilers, why my G6 doesn't have one and my Camaro has the stock SS deck lid, but if the look floats you boat that's all what matter. As stated endlessly there are no real performance gains

Car Domain | ForeverPontiac.com | Progression

Originally posted by WoodburyMan
                G6Performance - now with TWO Hampsters!

Comment

I can really feel down force from my spoiler around 40 mph and get a lot of drag over 60 mph. There is no down force from a stop, so it will not effect your launch, but Ill tell you that after my wheel spacers, and spoiler I can easily go 20 mph faster round turns than I could before. I never knew what it felt like to go round turns at high speeds without feeling if I went too fast I would slide until i installed that spoiler and it keeps me very planted. MPG does go out the window a little, but only a little bit like at the most 2 mpg when it is angled the steepest. I never really liked the hammerhead spoiler they really could have done better-looks silly. This spoiler makes my G6 look like something you'd find at the track. I get a lot of people trying to race me and all I'm driving is a G6!

Last edited by OneBadAzzG6; 04-20-2014, 12:48 PM.
                  Black 2007 G6 GTP six speed 66,000 miles. Mods: Carbon fiber GT spoiler with seven inch brackets; 25mm wheel spacers; Chrome ebay intake with black couplers: Red led interior lights; Painted front grille with chrome strips; Muffler delete; Painted headlights with eyebrows; 4 55 watt 6000k hid lights from the retrofitsource; projectors with super bright red cob led halo rings; Altezza tail lights; Front Splitter; front canards; rear diffuser; eibach lowering springs; racingline strut tower bar. Future mods: Front Cobalt as brembo brakes; 19x10 inch wheels; fender flares; 10% window tint; make my own carbon fiber hood to look like the vis racing hoods; Reshape the rear trunklid to look smoother and add a sportier looking rear lip; Painted mirrors; Protean in wheel electric motors in the rear wheels.

G6 is now for sale! $7000

progression: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=25701

If its possible I can do it, if it isn't I will try.

Comment

Well yeah there is no drag at a stop. .... there has to be air flow for it to cause drag...
                    2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 3400, F40 sedan.
                    sigpic

Comment

This thread.. um wow

sent via space transponder

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Comment

You obviously don't know anything about spoilers, probably because you have never had one. I can tell there is a big difference in grip at the rear, but there is no loss in grip at the front, because when you corner most of a car's weight is on the front wheels. Also at speeds where the spoiler is really pushing down, I don't think I will be spinning my wheels or loosing any traction. A spoiler adds stability when you corner keeping you planted so you can corner at higher speeds. Granted you will have a little more under-steer from a rear spoiler, but you most certainly will not loose traction. Otherwise they wouldn't put such huge spoilers on the back of cars in the ind 500. If you think you really have to be speeding to get down force, then maybe you should look at the formula for down force and learn something. Down force=1/2the wingspan*Height*Angle of attack*lift coefficient*air density*Velocity^2. Please actually know something about what you say before you actually say it. : )
                        Last edited by OneBadAzzG6; 04-20-2014, 01:09 PM.
                        Black 2007 G6 GTP six speed 66,000 miles. Mods: Carbon fiber GT spoiler with seven inch brackets; 25mm wheel spacers; Chrome ebay intake with black couplers: Red led interior lights; Painted front grille with chrome strips; Muffler delete; Painted headlights with eyebrows; 4 55 watt 6000k hid lights from the retrofitsource; projectors with super bright red cob led halo rings; Altezza tail lights; Front Splitter; front canards; rear diffuser; eibach lowering springs; racingline strut tower bar. Future mods: Front Cobalt as brembo brakes; 19x10 inch wheels; fender flares; 10% window tint; make my own carbon fiber hood to look like the vis racing hoods; Reshape the rear trunklid to look smoother and add a sportier looking rear lip; Painted mirrors; Protean in wheel electric motors in the rear wheels.

Comment

He says there's no drag at a stop because there's no air flow. But you attack his knowledge on the entire subject.
                          Just be ready to handle everyone's shit talking because I see a lot in your future.

I get enough shit for lowering and mildly modding my g6. All because it's not a damn "tuner" car.

I mean its clear you're excited about the spoiler seeing as you posted it around half of the site and I'm sure its what you want and you really like it, but IMO it's out of place, gawdy and impractical. Can you even see out of the rear view mirror now?
                          Last edited by CruisinG6; 04-20-2014, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Oh this was just my response to what people in general have been saying about down force, plus Mr. Sleepy olds has been talking about it in other threads too so I just fit it all in here.

Comment

Originally posted by CruisinG6 View Post
                              He says there's no drag at a stop because there's no air flow. But you attack his knowledge on the entire subject.
                              Just be ready to handle everyone's shit talking because I see a lot in your future.

I get enough shit for lowering and mildly modding my g6. All because it's not a damn "tuner" car.

I mean its clear you're excited about the spoiler seeing as you posted it around half of the site and I'm sure its what you want and you really like it, but IMO it's out of place, gawdy and impractical. Can you even see out of the rear view mirror now?
                              I was just about to make a comment about how he revived a whole bunch of threads about spoilers lol beat me to it.

Onebadazz: IMO, I don't think that spoiler has any purpose. Just aesthetic look. Its not like you have a g6 race car with sponsor logos all over your car and racing with fast cars. Therefore, the huge wings are really not needed for performance. Just my opinion.
                              GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
                              2006 G6 GT Coupe | Emerald Green | Plasti-dipped Emblems | Silverstar ZXE's | CRABs Opt. 3 + FPU | OBX Exhaust | Eibach Springs |

Current Ride: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP | IMOLA RED | 6MT

Comment

Working...
                              X