No announcement yet.

What was Lampoon doing in Colorado???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What was Lampoon doing in Colorado???

Originally posted by Thirdgen89GTA View Post
    You don't need to remove the key from the ignition, that would lock the steering column and THAT is bad. Just click it to "ACC" which is 1 click counter clock-wise. This shuts down power to the PCM. No PCM power, no ignition. Its that simple in the G6. As long as the key is not in "LOCK" then the steering column and shifter will remain unlocked.
    I see I missread your previous post. Sorry about that.

But in most of these situations, the car isn't properly working. In other words, its not as simple as something physically pushing down the accelerator. It's completely irrational to think that such a common sense answer wasn't attempted by instruction of the police, and in some instances the manufacturer, through the 911 call.

Back when cars used physical cables attached to the pedal and the throttle, this kind of thing couldn't happen unless the throttle got stuck open. These days they use drive by wire, making it incredibly easy for a faulty sensor to return a signal when it shouldn't. In that situation however turning the ignition to ACC would work, unless there was a safety programmed into the hardware or software of the ECM that ignores signals sent by the ignition turning off or changing out of drive into neutral, for the safety of the engine so stupid people don't ruin their engines by trying to do something like that under any other circumstance. You cannot program a system to know the difference between intentional and unintentional actions. People do some really stupid things, and a manufacturer of automobiles is going to install safeties to prevent stupidity from breaking things. It's much more cost effective. A prime example in our G6, if the engine is running and you turn the key to the start position, the car essentially flips you the bird and ignores your request to send electricity to the starter. The overwhelming majority of the time, these safeties help to avoid pointless damage to the car and the driver. It is incredibly rare that these safeties actually cause damage to the vehicle/persons in and surrounding the vehicle.

Aside from this I'm sure there are millions of unfathomable sequences of events that can cause the same things to happen. A short in the circuitry of any component could just as easily cause the same problem.
    My Progression

Comment

Most manufacturers had updated the engine software so that if the brakes are applied, its signal would take precedence over all other signals to the engine's ECM. I guess our cars do not have this safety update.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadly Nancy View Post
        I see I missread your previous post. Sorry about that.

But in most of these situations, the car isn't properly working. In other words, its not as simple as something physically pushing down the accelerator. It's completely irrational to think that such a common sense answer wasn't attempted by instruction of the police, and in some instances the manufacturer, through the 911 call.

Back when cars used physical cables attached to the pedal and the throttle, this kind of thing couldn't happen unless the throttle got stuck open. These days they use drive by wire, making it incredibly easy for a faulty sensor to return a signal when it shouldn't. In that situation however turning the ignition to ACC would work, unless there was a safety programmed into the hardware or software of the ECM that ignores signals sent by the ignition turning off or changing out of drive into neutral, for the safety of the engine so stupid people don't ruin their engines by trying to do something like that under any other circumstance. You cannot program a system to know the difference between intentional and unintentional actions. People do some really stupid things, and a manufacturer of automobiles is going to install safeties to prevent stupidity from breaking things. It's much more cost effective. A prime example in our G6, if the engine is running and you turn the key to the start position, the car essentially flips you the bird and ignores your request to send electricity to the starter. The overwhelming majority of the time, these safeties help to avoid pointless damage to the car and the driver. It is incredibly rare that these safeties actually cause damage to the vehicle/persons in and surrounding the vehicle.

Aside from this I'm sure there are millions of unfathomable sequences of events that can cause the same things to happen. A short in the circuitry of any component could just as easily cause the same problem.
        The G6 still uses a physical key. This means that there is a circuit that is closed when the key is put in the "Run" positon which enables power to the PCM and Starter Relay. Moving the Key to "ACC" is the same as phsyically disconnecting the Alternator and Battery from the PCM. The Injectors will stop firing, the plugs will stop sparking, and your G6 will coast to a halt.

There isn't any solenoid or mechanical lock build into the Ignition cylinder to prevent you from putting the key in "ACC", only to prevent you from removing the key as long as the Gear Selector is not in Park.

Comment

Working...
        X