Volant cai review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Volant cai review

If you only have one clip Jeff just use a zip tie on the lower section to hold the line to the box, don't try and fill it with a plug (though the standard body sized tree fits perfectly).

20% Tint, Cross-Drilled & Slotted Rotors, Red Painted Calipers, 6000k H.I.D., LED Interior Lights, Carbon Fiber GM Interior, 18" SenDel S26 rims, Volant CAI.
    Wish List: Homelink, Black Sabersport projector headlights

Comment

Well im done and wow what a nightmare!!!!! After I got the car jacked up and on jack stands the resonator was easy to remove. Had the filter part 90% done already just had to remove the stock box and connect the Maf to the box and the bolts they give you are wayyyy to short. Then when I dropped the Volant box in the hole lined up with a hole in the fender that already had a nut welded underneath!!! Took 10 mins to find a bolt and washer that fit but the box is bolted down a lot more secure that way I guess.

It was a pain to get the duct connected to the throttle body and the Maf but after some playing around I got it. My clip on the ac line was way to big for the hole on the Volant as well but even if it did fit it the hole on the box wouldn't come close to lining up! The ac line is pressed against the box pretty solid but damn close to the pulleys.

The breather hose, wow where do I start??? There was no way in hell in the location it was in it would reach the grommet on the duct and trying to force it I pushed the grommet right into the duct, Thank god I got it out with needle nose pliers. After pulling up on the breather hose it came undone from the engine took a few to find where it went lol but just had to move it over to a different location. Any pics of what you guys did with your breather would be well appreciated because mine is resting on a part im unsure about getting to hot and possibly melting it.

After all that fun the car drove well and with only a 25min drive I noticed better throttle response and smoother gear transitioning. The sound is not bad def sound like a growl but its gonna take some getting use to. I don't want to think about changing the filter though, you'd have to take the whole box out to do so!!! Ill post some pics of the new breather location and my ac line tomorrow.
      Last edited by jeff311; 08-03-2013, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Well im done and wow what a nightmare!!!!! After I got the car jacked up and on jack stands the resonator was easy to remove. Had the filter part 90% done already just had to remove the stock box and connect the Maf to the box and the bolts they give you are wayyyy to short. Then when I dropped the Volant box in the hole lined up with a hole in the fender that already had a nut welded underneath!!! Took 10 mins to find a bolt and washer that fit but the box is bolted down a lot more secure that way I guess.

It was a pain to get the duct connected to the throttle body and the Maf but after some playing around I got it. My clip on the ac line was way to big for the hole on the Volant as well but even if it did fit it the hole on the box wouldn't come close to lining up! The ac line is pressed against the box pretty solid but damn close to the pulleys.

The breather hose, wow where do I start??? There was no way in hell in the location it was in it would reach the grommet on the duct and trying to force it I pushed the grommet right into the duct, Thank god I got it out with needle nose pliers. After pulling up on the breather hose it came undone from the engine took a few to find where it went lol but just had to move it over to a different location. Any pics of what you guys did with your breather would be well appreciated because mine is resting on a part im unsure about getting to hot and possibly melting it.

After all that fun the car drove well and with only a 25min drive I noticed better throttle response and smoother gear transitioning. The sound is not bad def sounds like a growl but its gonna take some getting use to. I don't want to think about changing the filter though, you'd have to take the whole box out to do so!!! Ill post some pics of the new breather location and my ac line tomorrow.

Comment

Don't know why it posted twice, But final thoughts. When its time or close to changing the filter OR if I have problems I will rip it out and go to K&N CAI lol!!!
          Last edited by jeff311; 08-03-2013, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Nightmare but got it in, If it goes south or I need to replace the filter (filter replace = taking the entire box off and apart) Ill just by the k&n CAI. The filter for the Volant cost $90+ and I can get the k&n for $220.00 so F it. VOLANT did a crap job when designing this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The Volant cai filter is guaranteed to be good for life. Plus it comes with the warranty so you'll get it for free if it goes bad before 100k miles. When I installed it it honestly wasn't to bad compared to most things i have installed. now changing the full suspension system at one time with hand tools was a pain.
              Mods:Wams lx9 tune, gtp rear valance, custom Flowtech catback, volant cai and box, raceline stb, CM lowering springs, pioneer touch screen stereo, black vinyle arrow head overlays, Pontiac rear window decal and finally g6performance decals.

Not much left without dumping a few grand so I guess ill be redoing the stock sound system with polk audio everything.

Comment

I have the powercore non oiled filter rated at 100k miles??? Just plugged both holes with pine trees and zip tied the ac line that runs next to the box and pulleys to the ac line closest to the firewall behind the Volant. During installation I removed one of the rubber grommets from the stock air box to use as a spacer to secure the ac line clip closest to the firewall Damn its loud while heavy on the gas!!!!

Comment

How close is the piping or tubing for the CAI between the 3.5L and the 3.6L in pictures they look almost identical.

Comment

I've always wondered about these, do they really make that big of a sound difference?
                    Techno gray 07 G6 GT Sedan 20% tint, 6000K HID's, red LED floor lights, intake resonator removal, LED interior and reverse lights, debadged rear dart, gm emblem and pontiac emblem, and black emblem overlays.

Build thread: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=24478

Comment

I assume it sounds alright. Obviously a deeper sound than stock but not as good as Crabs. All I know about the Volant CAI is that it is a huge pain to install and deal with lol
                      GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
                      2006 G6 GT Coupe | Emerald Green | Plasti-dipped Emblems | Silverstar ZXE's | CRABs Opt. 3 + FPU | OBX Exhaust | Eibach Springs |

Current Ride: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP | IMOLA RED | 6MT

Comment

What kind of mileage are you seeing with this?

Comment

Working...
                        X