Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

**review**ACDelco 18A1790 Brake (performance) rotor (UPDATED)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **review**ACDelco 18A1790 Brake (performance) rotor (UPDATED)

this is a rear drilled and slotted ac delco performance rotor. NOTHIN FANCY
    just a step up from the stocks for a moderate price if you're trying to save cash for that next bigger mod like i am.

so let me start out by saying right out of the box this rotor had rust on it, which was very strange to me, i personally blame amazon the retailer because i also ordered rotors from crate engine depot which is a dealor and those rotor came in perfect condition and were obviously clean and new. these rotors looked dirty from jump and like i said before had rust spots all over. the image on the amazon web page is a painted rotor, this rotor was anything BUT painted. this adds on more work for me, now I'll have to wire brush the rotor and clean in with brake cleaner and paint it my damn self. i was so happy thinking i was receiving a rotor that was already painted, but you know....things never work out the way you plan them all the time.

brand - ac delco
    retailer - amazon.com see link above into
    purchase price - $51 left $56 right
    instillation time - varies, it's a rotor gee i don't know 20 min if your skilled an hour if not
    instilation effort - easy

this review is more directed tward my ac delco/amazon experience....terrible btw incase you skipped the review

marinating chicken, yummm LOL
    Last edited by samurai; 03-17-2012, 10:53 AM.

Re: ACDelco 18A1790 Brake (performance) rotor

Ouch if I got "brand new" rotors that came in like that I'd be bullshit and on the phone with amazon.
    Mods: GT-R exhaust, CRABs O3 w/FPU, 35% tint, 5000K HID lows/fogs, upper/lower recessed grilles, Racingline strut bar, concept darts, white LED map/dome/mirror/trunk/license/reverse lights

Comment

im physically and mentally drained, i don't have the time will power or resources to make a return and go and find a new seller and rotor then wait around for a month or two to get my money back and do so. I'll clean it, and paint it then just suck it up for now as a lesson learned.

Comment

thats not rusty. they get rustier sitting outside overnight lol

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
        Originally posted by snowmanG6
        you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

okay here is my update on this review, i just had the left rear rotor shipped overnight and it just came in

I GOTTA SAY, I can't remember the last time i felt so confused....this one left me scratching my head for real gentlemen.
          after receiving the right acdelco performance rotor today it looked exactly like the picture and was everything i expected and wanted it to be, A FAR CRY from the left. IT EVEN came in an official ac delco box! NOW I'm thinking i should return the right portion and buy it from someplace else instead of coating it myself after seeing the right rotor.

this right rotor is even structurally different from the left. which is strange, because they should be the same rotor.... as you can see in the pics, there is a grove in the right that isn't in the left.

AMAZON PRIME micro REVIEW
          After everything is said and done, i can't say enough about amazon prime i ordered this this last night at 6pm and it came today at my door step at 10am on the dot! all for 4 bucks. I am fully aware that this is not an amazon prime review but i fully recommend it to everyone here. just try the free one month trial. you'll love it if you order stuff as much as i do. $4 for overnight shipping and 2 day shipping for free.

i have side by side pics.... take a look

Last edited by samurai; 03-17-2012, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Honestly call amazon and let them know about your situation. You ordered a new product, so you should receive a new product.
            Custom Flowmaster Exhaust- CRAB Heat Shield- Tiger Ram- Painted Cals- Painted Grills- Eibach ProKit- Racingline S/B- Racingline G/K- Injen Air Intake- Spyder Headlights w/ DDM 5000k Lows- DDM 5000k Fogs- Plasti-Dip Solstice Wheels w/ 5mm Spacers/ Painted- Painted Intake Manifold- Hood Spacers- RotorPros Front/ Rear D/S Rotors- BMD-P Fr. Endlinks- BMD-P SS Brake Lines...

Progression:
            http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=18485

Comment

I'll look for a c.s number. I'm about to go outside and slap on my brembos for now, I'm so excited I don't want to wait to paint them. I'll paint them later.

**UPDATE**

okay! so i called amazon, and i pressured them to give me a gift card....at which point they did, but it was only for 10 dollars
              they are sending out a new rotor but it could take up to 2 months to ship!!! in the meantime, I'll go ahead and slap this rusty thing on my g6 then swap it out when the new rotor comes in. no need to coat it now. I'll prolly just clean it off a bit and then clean it off again when it's time to ship it back
              Last edited by samurai; 03-17-2012, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Re: **review**ACDelco 18A1790 Brake (performance) rotor (UPDATED)

amazon shipped me a brand new replacement rotor that I am going to put on tomorrow.

few things you might need to know about this ac delco rotor

this rotors coating isn't very durable and obviously won't last long. i accidentally spilled brake fluid on it and the coating ran off on the spot.
                but this can be fixed! an extra coating of rustoleum will make for the perfect rotor. i put rostolum on the fronts and when brake fluid spilled on them the rustoleum didn't even flinch. it stood its ground and just to see what would happen i left the brake fluid on the rotor and 3 hours later the rustoelum was holding strong. best part is it's only 5 bucks and looks great.

the amazon mix up was extremely unpleasant, but don't be discouraged......it was the retailers fault..the ac delco rotor itself looks great on the car and was very reasonably priced and performs extremely well!!!! after going on the highway at extremely high speeds i touched the Bremen rotors and almost burned my fingers. when i torched the rears they were cool to the touch. so at the end of the day I am very pleased with the purchase of these rotors
                Last edited by samurai; 03-27-2012, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by samurai View Post
                  I'll look for a c.s number. I'm about to go outside and slap on my brembos for now, I'm so excited I don't want to wait to paint them. I'll paint them later.

**UPDATE**

okay! so i called amazon, and i pressured them to give me a gift card....at which point they did, but it was only for 10 dollars
                  they are sending out a new rotor but it could take up to 2 months to ship!!! in the meantime, I'll go ahead and slap this rusty thing on my g6 then swap it out when the new rotor comes in. no need to coat it now. I'll prolly just clean it off a bit and then clean it off again when it's time to ship it back

It's so funny that amazon said up to 2 months but shipped in 10 days LMFAO. i got overnight shipping so 11 days total

Comment

new update. OKAY SOOOOOOO i just painted the new replacement rotor. and it looks great. RUSTOLEUM!!!!!!! I use rustoleum flat black, but rustoleum high heat also comes in gloss too if you're into that. anyways so at this point i feel like I've mastered the rotor painting process lol so i noticed the rear brake pads don't touch the entire disc, and the rest isn't coated no matter what oyu buy. so i double coated the rears and left out the part that touches the hub and the wheel, since it's a part that's already coated and i didnt want the paint to be too think and cause vibration during high speeds. pics

Comment

all of this painting got me thinking? some automakers do paint rotors to an extent but why don't automakers fully paint rotors in all spots exposed to rust, this is one of the few mods I've seen with no draw back effect. Its 100 percent positive. even the rotoryou see in these pics weren't painted to prevent rust breakdown...they were only painted enough for visual/cosmetic purposes. so why then? MY best guess is they wan't you to replace parts because it just makes them more money and saves money at the same time on costs of painting upot assembly or production of the product. its all bs. I've now got rotors that will not rust ANYWHERE on them. for a very long time and will still look beautiful a year from now. may need a touch up or so. but i couldn't be happier. if i had put these same rotors on without coating them myself as well, they would have rusted behind the scenes anyways.... now i have to take off the other rear acdelco rotor clean the spots that rusted with some desolver due to non coating and add my own coating over the original finish like i did with this one. then I'll clean off the defective rotor and ship it back to them.

the end

Comment

Working...
                      X