Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thoughts about the Chevy Volt

Originally posted by RedMoon Roku View Post
    I don't know if any post this or not but the Volt in Europe, sold as the Vauxhall/Opel Ampera, won the 2012Geneva Auto Show Car of the Year. The car looks a little nicer that one sold in the US.
    Also known as the Holden Volt in Backwards land of Australia

Anywho while I was at the dealer yesterday buying my Camaro, I noticed they had about 3 Volts. Asked how many they've been selling and the guy said the reason they have a show room model is because the guy is going to grab it when he goes up North (snowbird) . Sales guy said that their last batch of 15 was sold before they even got to the dealer and now they have 17 that are all already sold.

I don't know if I believe him but damn, those are a lot of Volts being sold more than I thought.

Car Domain | ForeverPontiac.com | Progression

Originally posted by WoodburyMan
    G6Performance - now with TWO Hampsters!

Comment

The Volt is in my opinion the BEST Electric hybrid car design out there, the only better way is fully electric vehicle. And right now there is no way I could recommend a purely electric car to anyone who doesn't have room for a gas car next to it.

Why?

The Volts electric only range is actually quite pitiful, however if you think about most peoples average daily mileage it actually makes alot of sense, especially in suburban/city areas. I'll use my commute as an example. My commute is about 18 miles each way. If the Volt can meet its 40-50mile electric range then that means I can commute to and from work on a single charge. Being pure electric like that I'll save quite a bit of money in gas.

But lets say I need to run errands or maybe I want to go out of town on a road trip. I fill up the gas tank and just drive away like a traditional car. When I reach the end of the Volt's electric range, or exceed 70mph the gas engine will kick on and off I go.

My family argues with me on this one, saying the Prius and other gas first hybrid cars are better, but what they don't understand is that the Volt is the first step towards an electric car that doesn't sacrifice any conveniences.

Unlike the Nissan Leaf, its not purely electric with a pitiful range that would make a cross country trip something more like the Oregon Trail than a road trip.

The Volt is the only hybrid on the market that is electric first, and a hybrid second. All others use the gas engine as the primary mode of power. This is honestly the way ALL hybrid electric cars should be designed, anything less is no real step towards getting an electric charging infrastructure in place for the future.

Comment

The Volt is state of the art compared to all hybrids and pure electric vehicles. The biggest problem is the subsidies it takes to build it. When you factor in all the costs, it's one of the most expensive and dirtiest car on the planet.

Comment

Working...
        X